Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand, Foot, and Mouth
SilverSabre25 08:11 AM 11-05-2013
7.5 month old--I think she has HFM. And I think the little boy I sent home last week must have had it. Big yucky sore on her bottom lip, and I checked and found a couple blistery spots on her hands and bottoms of her feet. Explains why she wasn't eating much yesterday (sore throat I bet). She's had no fever. Only the mouth sore is really weeping....I'm having parents pick up and take her to the doctor. Should I exclude tomorrow, or what?

Also, cleaning--My usual routine of vinegar solution? Or perhaps some odoban? Or what? I do NOT want to use bleach if I can help it.

Is HFM something you can get more than once?

And finally, anyone remember me mentioning recently that i couldn't remember when the last time was that I sent someone home? Yeah I totally jinxed myself.

I hate this stuff....
Leigh 08:14 AM 11-05-2013
I would exclude until the child is both fever free for 24 hours, AND has no weepy sores (they should be healing before the child returns).
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 11-05-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
7.5 month old--I think she has HFM. And I think the little boy I sent home last week must have had it. Big yucky sore on her bottom lip, and I checked and found a couple blistery spots on her hands and bottoms of her feet. Explains why she wasn't eating much yesterday (sore throat I bet). She's had no fever. Only the mouth sore is really weeping....I'm having parents pick up and take her to the doctor. Should I exclude tomorrow, or what?

Also, cleaning--My usual routine of vinegar solution? Or perhaps some odoban? Or what? I do NOT want to use bleach if I can help it.

Is HFM something you can get more than once?

And finally, anyone remember me mentioning recently that i couldn't remember when the last time was that I sent someone home? Yeah I totally jinxed myself.

I hate this stuff....
Here is the info I have about HFM. Hopefully, it is helpful

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...AND%20FOOT.pdf
TwinKristi 08:37 AM 11-05-2013
YES!! Exclude until the sores are gone! Its extremely contagious and spreads like wildfire among that age group of drooly babies.
SilverSabre25 08:38 AM 11-05-2013
Thanks guys. I'm now 100% sure DS has it too. He goes to the doc tomorrow afternoon.
SilverSabre25 08:39 AM 11-05-2013
I'm also composing a strongly worded text to the dad that STILL INSISTS DCB WAS TEETHING LAST WEEK. Even after the NASTY sores all over his thighs that broke open, weeped, and scabbed over. I know about them, because his thighs are horribly scabby.
TwinKristi 08:53 AM 11-05-2013
Ugh!! Yeah, don't you love that?? Parents who INSIST their child is well yet all the other kids get these SAME symptoms or worse? A DCB I have here had a fever of 102.5 and I sent him home, that night it spiked up (mom didn't check what it was, just knew it was high) and he was fine Monday. The next week my DS had a fever and it spiked to 104.8 and I seriously almost out of my mind! I've never seen a fever that high with any of my kids. Then add to that the other DCB who gets sores on his mouth when he gets high fevers... Ugh... I hope your DS feels better soon! Be careful yourself as well. I have a friend who's DS has had HFM numerous times (despite drs saying he can't get it again) and she went to urgent care the other day and SHE had it!! She had swelling and redness in her gums!
Leigh 09:04 AM 11-05-2013
They most certainly can get HFM more than once. After the first time, though, it tends to be a more mild case. I can't believe a doctor would say it can't happen.
Tags:foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth, hfm
Reply Up