Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Influenza
nikia 07:03 AM 12-15-2010
I have a dcg who's sister was diagnosed with influenza. I do not know if it was A B or H1N1. Do any of you know if my dcg could be a carrier or how long she can have it before showing symptoms. My concern is that this is the same girl who's mom neglected to tell me that she had strep until the end of the day. Do I not let her come for the fact that she could be a carrier of it? Influenza scares me and I have babies in my care.
broncomom1973 12:36 PM 12-15-2010
Usually 1-4 days with influenza A or B. Last year when H1N1 was spreading, I had a dcb who was the first pediatric case in our county. Dcb was 8 mos when he got it, the doctors office at that time told me the typical 1-4 days but that it could take up to 7 days until symptoms showed up.

I also know that at my previous job at a family practice clinic as a lab nurse that we only did the nasal swab for influenza A and B and that last year when it came back as A, it was highly probable that it was H1N1. They actually only tested for H1N1 when patients went into the hospital, otherwise they just assumed that positive A was H1N1 whereas this year H1N1 is not near as prevalent since it was included in the seasonal flu vaccine. It really doesnt matter which one, they are all a serious illness.

Good luck, I would tell mom that you are really concerned because you have babies in your care and especially if they are under the age of 6 mos, because they cant be immunized against influenza until 6 mos and over. Hopefully she will understand your concerns. Influenza can be very serious in small children under the age of 2.
Tags:flu, h1n1, influenza
Reply Up