Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Bed Possibly Fixing Co Sleeping Issue?
Scout 08:34 AM 08-15-2013
DS(25 1/2 mos) had gotten into the habit of sleeping with mommy. I know, I know, I created it by allowing it the first time but, we were camping and then we went to a hotel for a night. Plus, if he is scared and calling Mommy, well I can't leave him there alone! Opinions on whether you think if we set up his toddler bed will possibly get him excited to sleep in his room again? He does well when we sleep together and does not get up and wander around at night. I would leave the baby gate to the steps closed too. This is very recent(last couple of weeks) behavior. Coincidentally, I have started a little guy(13 mos) in mid July which also could be leading to the wanting mommy? What do you fine ladies and gents think? Thanks!
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 08-15-2013
When I transitioned my own DS to a toddler bed, I started my just having him nap there.

That way he was comfortable with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about him sleeping with you though as there is nothing wrong with it....

Many cultures have family beds. My brother and his wife do. Their kids are 5, 8, 12. Sometimes the older one will sleep in their own bed but most times they just all sleep together. Always have.
preschoolteacher 11:31 AM 08-15-2013
We are a co-sleeping family. My son is 12.5 months old. I love it, and it's worked great for all of us. He starts the night in his crib at 7 PM and moves in with us when we go to bed at 11 PM.

I definitely think a toddler bed might get him excited about sleeping in his room, especially if you take the safety measures you mentioned. What about a toddler bed in YOUR room or just a futon mattress on the floor in your room for him if that doesn't work? It could be a step towards independence, but he'd have you close by if he feels he needs you.
Scout 12:06 PM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I transitioned my own DS to a toddler bed, I started my just having him nap there.

That way he was comfortable with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about him sleeping with you though as there is nothing wrong with it....

Many cultures have family beds. My brother and his wife do. Their kids are 5, 8, 12. Sometimes the older one will sleep in their own bed but most times they just all sleep together. Always have.
Maybe that's the problem-I love to sleep with him! The main issue is that often our 5 yo is in our bed so I will go with the little one into my other son's room since he has a double bed that is just on the floor with the box spring. I just really don't want to have to be moving beds 5 nights a week! Last night I didn't even try! We just went straight into DS's room. I do love to sleep with both my kids and I know that it will eventually end since I never heard of a high school student sleeping with their parents!
Scout 12:12 PM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
We are a co-sleeping family. My son is 12.5 months old. I love it, and it's worked great for all of us. He starts the night in his crib at 7 PM and moves in with us when we go to bed at 11 PM.

I definitely think a toddler bed might get him excited about sleeping in his room, especially if you take the safety measures you mentioned. What about a toddler bed in YOUR room or just a futon mattress on the floor in your room for him if that doesn't work? It could be a step towards independence, but he'd have you close by if he feels he needs you.
He used to love sleeping in his room! I would say it's time for night night and he would ask for story(lullibies) and I'd put him in his crib and he'd suck his fingers and fall right to sleep. That's why I am so confused, completely new behavior for him, which is maybe because he is jealous of me carrying around another child at times. And he hasn't been able to suck his fingers for 3 days because monday morning he fell out of his brother's bed(on floor) and really banged his lip up on the vent! He kept saying "boo boo hurts" and holding his little hand up to his face! Maybe that's why last night was such a failure-he can't self soothe right now so when he walked away from me when I tried to put him in, I just said ok- sleep with mommy!
preschoolteacher 07:46 AM 08-16-2013
Aww. Sounds like he needs you just a little more right now!
canadiancare 08:17 AM 08-16-2013
I did the family bed. My kids are 21, 19 and 16 and each sleep in their own bed so I don't think you need to worry about it.

My daughter(16) was the longest to transition (7) and we started moving her to a mattress on the floor of our room and then, eventually to her own room.

The boys were both in our bed at the same time and then when their sister came along they moved to a shared room together.

I know I like having someone else in bed with me so I don't get why it is a big deal to not want your little guy to be alone down the hall.

We had a really bad electrical storm 2 weeks ago and my 21 year old came down on his way to work the next morning and "jokingly" said "I was thisclose to coming into your room last night".

I know some people are embarrassed to admit it because they don't want to be judged
Scout 08:43 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I did the family bed. My kids are 21, 19 and 16 and each sleep in their own bed so I don't think you need to worry about it.

My daughter(16) was the longest to transition (7) and we started moving her to a mattress on the floor of our room and then, eventually to her own room.

The boys were both in our bed at the same time and then when their sister came along they moved to a shared room together.

I know I like having someone else in bed with me so I don't get why it is a big deal to not want your little guy to be alone down the hall.

We had a really bad electrical storm 2 weeks ago and my 21 year old came down on his way to work the next morning and "jokingly" said "I was thisclose to coming into your room last night".

I know some people are embarrassed to admit it because they don't want to be judged
I know I was just thinking about this the other day. When we get married we sleep with our spouse but, we expect our little kids to sleep alone, doesn't make sense! The only reason I worry is he is tiny for his age at 2, he is 23 pounds and my other son is a maniac when he sleeps! He flips all over the place and ends up upside down, sideways. I slept with him last night in his brother's room and he snuggled up next to me all night. It was very sweet but, I don't sleep well like this because I think in the back of my mind I worry about pillows, blankets, rolling on him!
Reply Up