Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really - What Are These People Thinking
sharlan 08:42 AM 08-15-2013
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...tory?track=rss

The home had no electricity, covered in rat feces????? Eight families tried to drop off!
Meeko 08:51 AM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:

The home had no electricity, covered in rat feces????? Eight families tried to drop off!
Eight parents who obviously couldn't care less.
Lyss 09:13 AM 08-15-2013

Wow! That's terrible! definitely 8 parents that didn't care.

Makes me realize that parents really are using those people I see advertising ridiculous ads on CL, like with super low rates and have really large numbers or sit the kid in front of the tv all day
daycarediva 09:24 AM 08-15-2013
How could daycare parents not KNOW this? This comment is something I agree with. It's NEGLIGENT to leave your child somewhere unsafe. No power? rat droppings? My daycare parents come in everyday to a LIT, clean room.

WI_Proud_American at 8:00 AM August 15, 2013
If this daycare center was really that bad.....shouldn't all the parents be brought up on charges for endangering their children???
sharlan 09:32 AM 08-15-2013
Sorry my granddaughter hit post before I finished my thoughts.

In no way am I excusing the provider, she definitely needs to be charged. But, what about the parents?????

I think the parents need to be brought up on neglect charges, too. They had to have know of the deplorable conditions that their kids were in all day. The only thing I can think of is the provider (and I use that term loosely) didn't allow the parents in the house. She must have done all drop offs and pick ups at the front door.

We ended up with custody of my dh's niece after she ingested brownies laced with marijuana. She was just two and was in foster care for 3 years. My in-laws had her for 6 mos before we got her away from them and had her another 2 1/2 yrs.
JenNJ 10:09 AM 08-15-2013
Every adult should be brought up on endangerment and neglect charges. All the parents responsible for drop offs and pick ups and the provider and any adults living in her home. Its disgusting.

I get embarrassed when I have a laundry basket of dirty laundry waiting to go to the basement or a sink full of dishes from the kids. I cannot imagine not noticing rat poop and no power in the place I leave my child for 40+ hours per week.
coolconfidentme 10:16 AM 08-15-2013
I have a DCM here & I showed her. She asked who would take there child to that lady? Not be judgy, but very true...
Starburst 11:32 AM 08-15-2013

In no way am I excusing the provider, she definitely needs to be charged. But, what about the parents?????

I think the parents need to be brought up on neglect charges, too. They had to have know of the deplorable conditions that their kids were in all day. The only thing I can think of is the provider (and I use that term loosely) didn't allow the parents in the house. She must have done all drop offs and pick ups at the front door.

We ended up with custody of my dh's niece after she ingested brownies laced with marijuana. She was just two and was in foster care for 3 years. My in-laws had her for 6 mos before we got her away from them and had her another 2 1/2 yrs.

The parents need to have some responsibility here. You think they would notice that the lights aren't on, since having running water and electricity/heat is a requirement to stay open. Or that they would notice if the house looks dirty; its not like they can't go in and see the daycare rooms {open door policy}. Plus, this is like the 3rd (like Pleasantville, Morgan Hill) poor-quality daycare/provider reported in the news from CA this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to limit the amount of daycares or higher the requirements (which in all honesty I think they should- to an extent).
Hunni Bee 08:16 PM 08-15-2013
I agree...the parents should be charged.

But as I've posted a few times before, this kind if behavior from parents is not isolated. At my old job, we transported kids to and from. In this area, that's the norm.

We'd have parents call DSS, get our info, enroll their kid over the phone and have the van pick their kid up, sight unseen. They'd send birth certificate, shot records, etc in the child's bag. Why this was allowed is beyond me. There was no protocol for much anything.

These people would literally send their infants and young children to a place they'd never seen, with people they'd never met. On the odd occasion they had to pick their kid up, we'd have to direct them over the phone they had no idea where we were located.

Other parents we literally wouldn't see for months...the kid would just ride the van. We could have had this kids in a cornfield all day and the parents would have had no idea.

These parents today are either totally careless of their kids, blindly trusting of strangers or both. Its sad.
Meeko 09:26 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I agree...the parents should be charged.

But as I've posted a few times before, this kind if behavior from parents is not isolated. At my old job, we transported kids to and from. In this area, that's the norm.

We'd have parents call DSS, get our info, enroll their kid over the phone and have the van pick their kid up, sight unseen. They'd send birth certificate, shot records, etc in the child's bag. Why this was allowed is beyond me. There was no protocol for much anything.

These people would literally send their infants and young children to a place they'd never seen, with people they'd never met. On the odd occasion they had to pick their kid up, we'd have to direct them over the phone they had no idea where we were located.

Other parents we literally wouldn't see for months...the kid would just ride the van. We could have had this kids in a cornfield all day and the parents would have had no idea.

These parents today are either totally careless of their kids, blindly trusting of strangers or both. Its sad.
That's awful!
cheerfuldom 09:33 AM 08-16-2013
I am sorry to say this does not surprise met at all. I have one aquaintance right now that is currently sending her kids to a daycare when she knows the provider is under investigation for child neglect thru the state. She knows this provider lets the kids play in the backyard unattended and that there is an uncovered pool that is accessible to children (including toddlers). Her first priority is cost and this woman takes the kids at just under two for the price of one, compared to what I charge. She KNOWS all this is going on and that this provider was told to no longer take any kids till the investigation is done but its all about money.

I have many daycare parents that rarely ever come into my home or check on anything after that first interview. They dont ask questions, they trust way too much.

I have had short interviews, the shortest being 13 minutes, and then the parent drops the kid off and thats it.

Its very scary. They are lucky to have someone trustworthy like me but I could see how they and their kids would be taken advantage of.

In 6 years, I have never had a parent insist on a background check or driving record. They never ask to see anything even when I offer it. These are top notch parents too, one is a school principal!
daycarediva 09:40 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am sorry to say this does not surprise met at all. I have one aquaintance right now that is currently sending her kids to a daycare when she knows the provider is under investigation for child neglect thru the state. She knows this provider lets the kids play in the backyard unattended and that there is an uncovered pool that is accessible to children (including toddlers). Her first priority is cost and this woman takes the kids at just under two for the price of one, compared to what I charge. She KNOWS all this is going on and that this provider was told to no longer take any kids till the investigation is done but its all about money.

I have many daycare parents that rarely ever come into my home or check on anything after that first interview. They dont ask questions, they trust way too much.

I have had short interviews, the shortest being 13 minutes, and then the parent drops the kid off and thats it.

Its very scary. They are lucky to have someone trustworthy like me but I could see how they and their kids would be taken advantage of.

In 6 years, I have never had a parent insist on a background check or driving record. They never ask to see anything even when I offer it. These are top notch parents too, one is a school principal!
HOLY CRAP! My daycare parents all walk in AT LEAST 1x/week. My first client dh called 'nosey' (would come in, take shoes off and walk through the house to the back door when we were outside and show up at random times) I said to my dh, um, I HAVE HER KID, what would you do if she had yours?

I provide my clients with a copy of my (clean) driving record and background checks as well as references. I once had a client ask me for my credit score (LOL!) and I did give them a whited out copy (they really don't need to know my VS cc balance.

I have only had a handful of clients who seem less than cautious about the care their children receive, the rest have been VERY careful, multiple interviews, dropping in, calling my references. One recent client even called my registrar and asked her if she would leave her child with me (my registrar said yes, as I am her backup provider!)
Unregistered 10:03 AM 08-16-2013

I AGREE ON HAVING PARENTS BE BROUGHT UP ON NEGLECT! In my state, that can actually happen so long as the state suspects (and later, can prove) that the parent did not do their due diligence in keeping their child safe. SO the DCP could get charged with something as well as the parents in this case as posted above.

Just a little side story:

I had an acquaintance (She is NOT nor has NEVER been a friend, but she was a former daycare client who was a friend of a friend) who wanted to run a childcare. She sucked at parenting, so no way could she pull this off. DHS was involved with her child rearing issues, especially regarding her son's malnutrition; her abusive boyfriends after boyfriends after...well you get it. She was jailed several times for drunk driving, drugs and lewd behavior while drunk and for other 'unknown' reasons that had to do with the military. She got KICKED OUT of the Army.....She tried to get a daycare license. She failed. So then she was going to post a CL ad and try to get kids but wanted some "advice". SOOO....she has our mutual friend contact me.

My friend calls me and says "H wants to do child care, can you tell me the legal stuff about being unlicensed?" I laughed and laughed and said "H is not in any way QUALIFIED nor is she SAFE enough to open any kind of child care, whether licensed or not!" My friend said "She needs money" I said "Listen, I wouldn't leave my goldfish with that woman and keep in mind any parent who is insane enough to trust this person is legally responsible here if something happens to the child an they have failed to take the proper precautions to ensure their child's safety. I would tell you to tell H NOT to even attempt to take any children." Oh and this same girl (H) also wanted to apply to be a surrogate mother! Thankfully she was never approved with any doctor or psychologist!
Crystal 10:07 AM 08-16-2013
If the parents were aware, they should bear some responsibility, BUT, how many times, just on this forum alone, have we heard that providers do not allow parents past the front door? Many, many providers on this forum don't allow it. If that were the case, then it is quite likely the parents had no idea of the deplorable conditions.
canadiancare 10:25 AM 08-16-2013
There is a Canadian provider who had a toddler die in her backyard pool. She was not his caregiver but she was hosting other day cares. It is all over the news that she was negligent and visiting, not watching the kids etc. she is still open and people still go to her.

Cognitive dissonance if I admit that she isn't a great caregiver, then I am a bad parent for choosing her.
Angelsj 10:59 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

Ditto. I have had kids dropped off here that had NEVER met me other than that day, and the parent stayed just long enough to fill out the paperwork.

Before I moved here and was fully licensed in this state, I had one mom meet me in the laundry mat across the street, and ask me to watch her two boys that evening so she and her hubby could go out to supper. I watched them off and on for 5 years after that.

We also did van pick ups for VBS and a church youth center for several years. Parents would send permission forms via the children (some as young as 3 years old) and we drove the kids 8 miles to another town, and home again 3 hours later...and we had NEVER met the parents! Some of those kids were with us for two or three years, and we could not have connected them with any adult. Sigh...
cheerfuldom 11:14 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
HOLY CRAP! My daycare parents all walk in AT LEAST 1x/week. My first client dh called 'nosey' (would come in, take shoes off and walk through the house to the back door when we were outside and show up at random times) I said to my dh, um, I HAVE HER KID, what would you do if she had yours?

I provide my clients with a copy of my (clean) driving record and background checks as well as references. I once had a client ask me for my credit score (LOL!) and I did give them a whited out copy (they really don't need to know my VS cc balance.

I have only had a handful of clients who seem less than cautious about the care their children receive, the rest have been VERY careful, multiple interviews, dropping in, calling my references. One recent client even called my registrar and asked her if she would leave her child with me (my registrar said yes, as I am her backup provider!)
I have never had anyone ask for a second interview. I do provide references and most of the parents do call those but again, they could be calling my mom for all they know, you know? I have very good references but still, parents should be more careful, always!
Heidi 04:46 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
If the parents were aware, they should bear some responsibility, BUT, how many times, just on this forum alone, have we heard that providers do not allow parents past the front door? Many, many providers on this forum don't allow it. If that were the case, then it is quite likely the parents had no idea of the deplorable conditions.
I was going to say the same thing...
cheerfuldom 06:46 PM 08-16-2013
This is a good point! I do handle drop offs at the door almost all the time. but there are times where i make it a point to make the parents come in, come downstairs for pickup or even into the backyard so that they can have that confirmation that all is well here. Nobody ever seems to ask or need that but I create those opportunities so I know that they know all is well, if that makes sense. Parents should be coming in and be aware of how many kids are here and what is going on.
Unregistered 06:58 PM 08-16-2013
As a parent it's their responsibility to ASK if they can come in. It doesn't have to be at drop off or pickup, but definitely it's their job to ask. If a provider told me NO when I asked? I'd find a new one. I get there are rules about coming into the house at drop off to prevent excessive crying or lingering at pickup too, but if I directly ask you there is no reason to say no to me unless shady stuff is going on.
Cradle2crayons 12:22 PM 08-17-2013
I can kind of understand this point but I think I would have noticed there was no power??
Heidi 07:22 AM 08-18-2013
Ok...this is when I get pissed off!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...itive-for-pot/

There are places like this in every state is in operation. WHY OH WHY does our state spend 10 MILLION dollars over 2 years on a quality initiative program, yet places like this STAY OPEN after NUMEROUS complaints and citations?

Umm...let me guess "lack of manpower" or "our hands our tied because of procedure".

Spend 5 million a year on that, people!
Familycare71 10:46 AM 08-18-2013
I had the same thought!
Crystal 03:20 PM 08-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a parent it's their responsibility to ASK if they can come in. It doesn't have to be at drop off or pickup, but definitely it's their job to ask. If a provider told me NO when I asked? I'd find a new one. I get there are rules about coming into the house at drop off to prevent excessive crying or lingering at pickup too, but if I directly ask you there is no reason to say no to me unless shady stuff is going on.
Oh, I agree, it is the parents responsibility, and I'd leave if I was told no when I asked too. I personally have a VERY open door policy and my families come in and visit daily. I just know there are MANY providers who don't allow them past the front door, EVER. Many provider, even here on this forum, have set up their entry way in such a way that parents cannot get past the front door. Personally I wouldn't leave my child in a program where I wasn't WELCOMED inside every day, but that's just me.
sharlan 06:11 PM 08-18-2013
Oh, I agree, it is the parents responsibility, and I'd leave if I was told no when I asked too. I personally have a VERY open door policy and my families come in and visit daily. I just know there are MANY providers who don't allow them past the front door, EVER. Many provider, even here on this forum, have set up their entry way in such a way that parents cannot get past the front door. Personally I wouldn't leave my child in a program where I wasn't WELCOMED inside every day, but that's just me.
Crystal, I totally agree with you. We have an automatic locking door with a keypad. I have given several of the parents the code, others no. I do open the door and allow all parents to come in and walk throughout my downstairs to track down their kids every single day. Upstairs is off limits, but the kids aren't allowed up there anyways.

I would not allow anyone to watch my kids who wouldn't allow me in their house. They could be the best providers in the world, but I want to see where my kids are.
AmyLeigh 12:45 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

There are places like this in every state is in operation. WHY OH WHY does our state spend 10 MILLION dollars over 2 years on a quality initiative program, yet places like this STAY OPEN after NUMEROUS complaints and citations?

Umm...let me guess "lack of manpower" or "our hands our tied because of procedure".

Did anyone else notice in the article Heidi posted that the family liked her because she was "affordable?"
Hunni Bee 08:14 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

There is no effing way anyone came to that door and did not smell the stench of non-working toilets.

And if inspectors came and found her home that disgusting and out of compliance even once, was there nothing done?? That makes it even worse.
Reply Up