Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Food Providers.. Need Help Choosing
stacie4171 04:55 PM 08-23-2013
I just got my license and trying to decide between Association for child development and Mid-Michigan... Has anyone had experience with either of them? What did you like about them?
Maria2013 04:59 PM 08-23-2013
I'm with acd and totally love them!
stacie4171 05:40 PM 08-23-2013
what type of materials do they give you?
Maria2013 06:07 PM 08-23-2013
you mean forms to fill?
Maria2013 06:12 PM 08-23-2013
I used to have a different food program sponsor then about 2 years ago they stop dealing with daycare in my area and acd picked us up

I do all my claims online it is easier, faster and almost error proof!... also they don't seem to be as strict as the other organization (thought they'd all follow same regulations but I was wrong)

congratulations on getting your license
MyAngels 06:17 PM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by stacie4171:
I just got my license and trying to decide between Association for child development and Mid-Michigan... Has anyone had experience with either of them? What did you like about them?
I've been with ACD in Illinois for 20 years. I really like them, but I don't have a lot of contact with the main office, only my reps over the years, but they've all been great.
Maria2013 06:29 PM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've been with ACD in Illinois for 20 years. I really like them, but I don't have a lot of contact with the main office, only my reps over the years, but they've all been great.
I too don't contact the main office, I have no reason to, I have my representative e-mail address if I have questions, I don't need any forms cause I do everything online including enrollments (I do have to print, sign and mail those)
Childminder 07:46 PM 08-23-2013
Been with Mid Mich for 10 years and love my rep, no problems ever. I know that one of the food program sponsors for the state closed and was gobbled by the other two. Either I'm sure is fine, they are all governed by USDA so same rules and regs.
MsLaura529 05:04 AM 08-24-2013
I'm using ACD ... my rep is awesome! Their monthly magazine they send out is really cool, too - I've been using their recipes. Super easy to deal with.
Maria2013 05:25 AM 08-24-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
... they are all governed by USDA so same rules and regs.
I'm not sure about that! I said acd is less strict cause for example my other food program required specification on what "brand" of cereal, or "kind" of cheese, meats etc with acd I can just say I served "cold cereal" they don't have to know what kind
...acd allows me to claim things the other organization did not, i.e. I wasn't allowed to serve chickpeas as protein, with acd I am

another thing acd does for me is working with my schedule I have kids drop off from 6:30 to8:30 acd allows me to serve breakfast till 9:00 to accommodate all the children, my other food program did not

these are just a few reasons I like acd much better....so maybe they "should" all have same rules and regulations but in my experience they certainly did not
Maria2013 05:27 AM 08-24-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I'm using ACD ... my rep is awesome! Their monthly magazine they send out is really cool, too - I've been using their recipes. Super easy to deal with.
I love the quizzes in those magazines I learned a great deal while getting clock hours training
Meeko 10:20 AM 08-24-2013
They are all supposed to be governed by the same regs...but some are much better at it than others.

I'm in Utah, but am very happy with my food program. There are several here. I know of at least two that have been closed down over the years due to screwing up paperwork, getting payments wrong/late etc.

My program director told us that almost anyone can apply and "start up shop" as a food program. Doesn't mean they run it well. They aren't set up directly by the USDA.

I would go with what other providers seem to be happy with.
lovemykidstoo 11:11 AM 08-24-2013
First of all congrats on getting your license!!! Where in Michigan are you? I'm in Saginaw Township.

I use Mid Michigan and love it. I can't comment on the other because I've never been with them. I do all my claims online and it's so easy. I don't do anything through the mail. I get mailed my new registration letters from Mid Michigan and fax them in.

With MM, when you do it online at least, you don't have to specify what kind of cereal you use. It will say cold cereal, hot cereal etc. No brands at all. Maybe that was a particular rep issue?
stacie4171 01:02 PM 08-26-2013
thank you for your responses.. both sound like great places now I got to decide lol... I like the idea of the training hours. I know mid-michigan gives out cookbooks or at least they did.. Does ACD do that?
stacie4171 01:06 PM 08-26-2013
Oh and Im in Coldwater, MI.. So we can only choose from Mid-michigan and ACD..
Maria2013 01:25 PM 08-26-2013
thank you for your responses.. both sound like great places now I got to decide lol... I like the idea of the training hours. I know mid-michigan gives out cookbooks or at least they did.. Does ACD do that?
in the little monthly magazine you can find recipes ideas, I'm not sure if they have more on their web site....but yes those training save time and money..not sure if MM offers that too
lovemykidstoo 01:25 PM 08-26-2013
You an also do online training classes with mmfp. They are very informative, quick and easy and you can print your certificate at home.
Tags:michigan license, michigan member
Reply Up