Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's My Time Worth?
Shell 05:26 AM 04-16-2015
I have a wonderful dc family that needs me to increase my closing hours by 30 mins, three times a week due to a new job for dcd.

I agreed, and still plan on it, but I'm wondering what to charge?

It's inconvenient because I always have dinner for my kids promptly at closing, and now I can either push it back (not desirable for my own kids), or have dcb eat a snack packed by his mom at the same time as we eat.

Also, this is a pain because it cuts into my personal and family time. It's supposedly temporary until august, so manageable, but what's fair to charge?

They pay $50 a day already. Thanks for any help!
KSDC 05:51 AM 04-16-2015
I'm not sure I'm the best one to ask. I would have said no. My family time is too important to me.

I would have to charge enough to make it worth my while - probably $10 a day.
Kabob 05:59 AM 04-16-2015
In the past I charged $5 per 15 minutes (or portion of) for time over 10 hours. You could do that for the time past your typical hours. I call it overtime pay.
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 04-16-2015
Are you on the food program at all? If so, I would consider adding him so that you could just feed him along with your own family and claim him for that. You could also claim your own children if your family meets the requirements since they are eating with a daycare child.

Honestly, I would not agree to do this either but that's beside the point since you aren't asking what I would do..

In order to come up with a reasonable rate for after hours care, I would take the daily rate ($50) and break that down by how many hours the child attends. Then I would take his hourly rate and multiply it by 2 or 2.5 since standard rates for overtime is time and a half and/or double time.

I know it's temporary but the family IS earning money and therefore so should you. I also understand that this is not an extra half day or 5 hours of care and is only 30 minutes BUT it's an important 30 minutes because its 30 minutes you are essentially taking from YOUR family and giving to another family. Whenever that happens, I think we as providers tend to devalue our services or our time and we need to remember that while we offer services to families, we aren't obligated to be at their beck and call.

We already give up a lot (and take from our own families) so I think that if this DC family truly values you, your services and your wiliness to accommodate their temporary request, then they should pay a premium rate for it.

HTH
Shell 07:02 AM 04-16-2015
Thanks for responding. I really don't want to do this at all, but they are wonderful and having a baby that will eventually come here. They are excellent clients, so it's an exception I'm willing to make- reluctantly.

BC- they pay somewhere around $6/he give or take. Would you charge $12 for that 30 mins? Is that what you mean?
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Thanks for responding. I really don't want to do this at all, but they are wonderful and having a baby that will eventually come here. They are excellent clients, so it's an exception I'm willing to make- reluctantly.

BC- they pay somewhere around $6/he give or take. Would you charge $12 for that 30 mins? Is that what you mean?
Yep! Exactly.

I also wouldn't explain it or try to get them to understand why the rate is so costly other than to say "This is the rate. It's the ONLY way I am willing to take the time away from my family. Let me know if it will work for you and what date you are wanting to begin the new schedule."

I 100% understand the reluctance AND the willingness to do this....sometimes we have to bend a little in order to strengthen our foundations and giving a little to get a lot in the long run IS a good business move.
Crazy8 07:41 AM 04-16-2015
I would charge $10/day for that half hour as it is after your closing time and it is taking time away from your family. I would charge less for the family that bumps from a 3:30 pick up to a 4:00 pick up because it is still within my normal operating hours.

I would also write it up as a "temporary" change - and make sure that it ends in August!
Controlled Chaos 08:18 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would charge $10/day for that half hour as it is after your closing time and it is taking time away from your family. I would charge less for the family that bumps from a 3:30 pick up to a 4:00 pick up because it is still within my normal operating hours.

I would also write it up as a "temporary" change - and make sure that it ends in August!
This, I would write up a temporary contract with start and end dates. I would charge $10 a day extra.
daycare 08:41 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:

This, I would write up a temporary contract with start and end dates. I would charge $10 a day extra.
This. Put an end date. I made this mistake a few years back.

I opened early what was supposed to be for 3 months and ended up being over a year.
So now I make certain that they understand this is a temporary change that has been approved until August 1, 2015. After this date hours of operation will resume to normal business hours of 8am to 5 pm.
Shell 10:08 AM 04-16-2015
Great advice as always! Thank you all for your input
Crystal 12:13 PM 04-16-2015
I recently had a long term family have the same situation come up. I keep their 2 children 2-3 days per week (sometimes not at all) for about 30 minutes overtime. They pay me $100 per week for my VALUABLE time, whether they use any of the overtime for the week or not. They are happy to pay it, as they have dependable care and they value me as their provider.
missbecky 06:36 PM 04-17-2015
What are your normal overtime rates and are they stated in your contracts? I wouldn't charge them quite that much since you know about it in advance, but I would make it worth my while.

The idea of getting a signed contract from them with this change is a definite must! You don't want to leave anything to question or a great family will go to being a bad family because of assumptions.
Reply Up