Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Is It Too Cold To Go Outside?
LeslieG 09:12 AM 12-11-2014
I may have asked this last year, but now I can't remember! What temp do you keep the kids inside?

I HATE winter and hate going outside, but I know I have to get the kids out. Getting on all their winter gear, trying to walk safely across the street to the park with little ones who have a hard time moving in snow pants/boots, and then standing there in the cold = No fun!! lol Now that I'm pregnant, it does not make it any easier!
SignMeUp 10:40 AM 12-11-2014
Here's a chart https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

LeslieG 10:55 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Here's a chart
Perfect! Thanks!!
therov 11:43 AM 12-11-2014
I prefer to judge based on the ages of kids involved. Older kids can stay out a little longer and at colder temps because they can keep themselves warm through activity. The little walking starfish a la Maggie Simpson, who can barely move their hands in their mittens, really can't keep themselves warm outdoors for too long when it gets below 30.
AuntTami 12:43 PM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Here's a chart https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Based on this chart... We should stay inside all winter long here in wisconsin :-O
SignMeUp 06:02 PM 12-11-2014
I know I cheat on the chart when it's sunny out, or I only have older kids left, or any reason I can think of. We were given similar charts by licensing and told to follow them
SignMeUp 06:04 PM 12-11-2014
And my babies go out according to that chart. If we waited for 30 degrees, we'd be stuck inside for five months
They wear their snowsuits and I bundle fleece blankies around them. They are as snug as little pink-nosed bugs
Kabob 04:55 AM 12-12-2014
I honestly have gone out even when it was too chilly according to this chart. The kids like the routine of getting dressed up in their gear and it burns energy just doing it. Even if we are out for only a few minutes, it still is something and they all are used to the cold weather so they probably would stay outside as long as I let them but I go by how their little bodies are handling the temperature outside. Usually it's the wind that determines how long we're out there...it can cut right through you...
Sugar Magnolia 09:35 AM 12-12-2014
50! Brrrrr. (Florida, lol)
melilley 09:44 AM 12-12-2014
I usually go out if the Real Feel is 20 or above. The chart says caution, but if I didn't make it 20, we would almost never get out in the winter!
SignMeUp 09:46 AM 12-12-2014
Around here, we used to go out if it was above 10 degrees, or even cooler if the sun was bright and no wind. But then licensing brought out the chart ...
daycarediva 10:55 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I honestly have gone out even when it was too chilly according to this chart. The kids like the routine of getting dressed up in their gear and it burns energy just doing it. Even if we are out for only a few minutes, it still is something and they all are used to the cold weather so they probably would stay outside as long as I let them but I go by how their little bodies are handling the temperature outside. Usually it's the wind that determines how long we're out there...it can cut right through you...
As long as it's not super windy, we go out pretty much every day regardless of temp. Mine are all 2-5. It's worth the fresh air, even for a few minutes and it's such a part of our routine that some of the kids will even start bringing things over before I say anything after circle.
Reply Up