Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suggestions?
childcaremom 10:05 AM 09-03-2015
I started dcg1 on Monday. The first day she didn't eat and hardly drank. Second day she ate a bit but didn't drink. Third day she ate well and didn't drink. Today (fourth day) again no drinking but she is eating.

I have tried milk in bottle and in sippy. Water in bottle and in sippy.

Dcm says that she is strictly bottle fed at home.

I have talked to parents each night and they don't seem concerned. I am concerned, though, and would like to see some fluids going in! Lots of wet diapers.

I spoke to dcm again last night and asked if she was drinking a lot when she got home. She said no. I asked if this was normal for her and she told me that her bottle is usually warmed but she wanted to break her of the habit.

Would you be heating the milk anyways and let dcm deal with breaking the habit?

Would you be concerned about little to no fluids being taken in?

How much time would you give to adjust?
renodeb 11:46 AM 09-03-2015
How long have you had the child? I always tend to be more concerned if the parents are. I have had kids who drink a ton of water and some that are more moderate drinkers. I would give it some time. If you haven't had her very long she may just need some time. I would not warm the milk up at your house.
Deb
BabyMonkeys 11:54 AM 09-03-2015
Is she only drinking a bottle? Does she expect you to hold the bottle for her and that's why she won't take it?

By 1 I have mine on sippy cups. What do her parents give her to drink at home? If she is used to getting juice and you are offering her water, she may refuse.

I would say that if she's thirsty she will drink, but that may not be true in all cases. My own daughter ended up having to have an IV when she was a toddler because she completely refused to drink anything when I stopped breast feeding her. When I was still nursing her she would drink out of a sippy just fine. Dr. insisted she would drink when she was thirsty..yeah..not so much.
Ariana 01:02 PM 09-03-2015
She might just be feeling stressed and not used to daycare yet. I would give it some more time before worrying. Some kids deal with stress by not eating and drinking and not sleeping. I have a little boy who is here 2 days a week and it took him 7 months to finally start pooping here
childcaremom 03:32 PM 09-03-2015
It's only been 4 days Mom isn't worried but I am. Especially today b/c it was hot. She did have a few sips of water.

I haven't been heating the milk and don't plan to (or want to). And I'm getting the impression that mom doesn't want to do that anymore, anyways. I've just been offering it to her and not making a deal out of it.

She seems to be getting more comfortable each day so fingers crossed she will soon!
Thriftylady 07:20 PM 09-03-2015
Once they hit 12 months I won't even offer a bottle. I would keep offering and if you see signs of dehydration or if it keeps going perhaps ask mom to take her to the dr.
childcaremom 12:45 AM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Once they hit 12 months I won't even offer a bottle. I would keep offering and if you see signs of dehydration or if it keeps going perhaps ask mom to take her to the dr.
I have stopped even offering the bottle. She is watching the other one her age (15m) drink from her sippy so I am hoping that positive peer pressure will encourage her to try it.

If she is still not drinking into next week, mom will have to do something from her end.

Thanks for the suggestions!
racemom 04:57 AM 09-04-2015
Have you tried just ignoring the fact she doesn't drink? I know it's hard, but it may work. When you are having a meal, state that Susie is drinking her milk, water or whatever, like a big girl. No comments on the dck not drinking. Don't even look at dcg who isn't drinking, only focus on dcg who does drink. Then when Susie is done, say thank you for drinking your milk, you did such a good job. When dcg is done and has not drank her milk just say dcg are you all done with your milk? Act like it's no big deal that she didn't drink any of it, you don't care if she drinks or not. In my experience she will come around and start drinking when it is not a power struggle and others are getting attention for drinking.
childcaremom 05:14 AM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
Have you tried just ignoring the fact she doesn't drink? I know it's hard, but it may work. When you are having a meal, state that Susie is drinking her milk, water or whatever, like a big girl. No comments on the dck not drinking. Don't even look at dcg who isn't drinking, only focus on dcg who does drink. Then when Susie is done, say thank you for drinking your milk, you did such a good job. When dcg is done and has not drank her milk just say dcg are you all done with your milk? Act like it's no big deal that she didn't drink any of it, you don't care if she drinks or not. In my experience she will come around and start drinking when it is not a power struggle and others are getting attention for drinking.
Thanks! Yes, normally what I do... and I'm okay with not eating but I've never had a child not drink. So will apply this to the drinking issue, as well.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 09-04-2015
Are her diapers wet at all?

You mentioned wanting to see lots of wet diapers but I'm curious as to how often they may be wet/dry when you go to change her.
childcaremom 07:22 AM 09-04-2015
She is here from 8-5ish.

She is changed at:
12ish
3ish
4:30

They have been wet all those times except for once. So she's getting fluids... just not here.
BabyMonkeys 08:05 AM 09-04-2015
With that many wet diapers I wouldn't stress at all! I was thinking that she may have had one wet diaper a day. As long as she has wet diapers, she should be ok. Do you guys go out in the heat a lot though? I know here in Fl it is so miserable out that we rarely go outside for more than a few minutes at a time and my kiddos guzzle their waters.
childcaremom 08:19 AM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
With that many wet diapers I wouldn't stress at all! I was thinking that she may have had one wet diaper a day. As long as she has wet diapers, she should be ok. Do you guys go out in the heat a lot though? I know here in Fl it is so miserable out that we rarely go outside for more than a few minutes at a time and my kiddos guzzle their waters.
I guess I am just worried b/c I've never had a child not drink.

Hot here is probably not FL hot, lol. East Coast Canada. We had humidex of 33 C (I think about 90 F) but that is seriously HOT for us We do spend a lot of time outside and I always have water on hand for them to drink.

So far: Nada.

Hopefully next week is better
Reply Up