Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Couple Weird Questions...
KEG123 09:38 AM 01-04-2011
So I will start by saying, for those you who don't know me, I have not yet been licensed. I have to drop off my remaining paperwork today, and set up for my home visit. Then I'm done! Hooray!

BUT I've been going over some things regarding my house that the licensing rep and/or parents might notice.

For example, in my kitchen, we have empty wine bottles, and import beer bottles up on the top of my cupboards. Does this look bad? Like we are alcoholics or something?? We never drink to get drunk, but will have something once in a while. I save them for the labels, my boyfriend saves them because he loves import beers.

Also, our upstairs will NOT be used for daycare, except the bathroom which is right at the top of the stairs. (the rest of the upstairs will be gated off) When they do home inspections, will they be looking at the parts of the house that are not in use by children? Primarily our bedrooms, the basement/laundry room (even though it would be used during our tornado drills) and DBF's "mancave" (which is also upstairs)?

I might have more questions brewing... but thought I'd throw these out there. Thanks!
laundrymom 09:47 AM 01-04-2011
Welcome!!!!! And I wouldn't worry. My pantry floor is where I store my wine. And as far as empty bottles.,,,,, you are over 21 right? Wine isn't nearly as unhealthy as coke but I'm sure some people have coke decorations in their homes. Its a popular kitchen theme. As long as no alcohol is right there.

As far as the potty u would have to look into your wording. Here I would not be allowed
momatheart 09:50 AM 01-04-2011
before the home visit my thought process is this "if it causes you doubt, take it out".
KEG123 09:51 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Welcome!!!!! And I wouldn't worry. My pantry floor is where I store my wine. And as far as empty bottles.,,,,, you are over 21 right? Wine isn't nearly as unhealthy as coke but I'm sure some people have coke decorations in their homes. Its a popular kitchen theme. As long as no alcohol is right there.

As far as the potty u would have to look into your wording. Here I would not be allowed
The bolded, I don't really understand what you mean...?

And yes, I am 24 in May so no worries there. They are just empty bottles, stored above my cupboards that are used for decorative purposes.
laundrymom 09:53 AM 01-04-2011
You would have to check the wording in your guidelines. Here I can't have more than 4 steps between me and children so I would have to take all kids up to potty.
Originally Posted by KEG123:
The bolded, I don't really understand what you mean...?

And yes, I am 24 in May so no worries there. They are just empty bottles, stored above my cupboards that are used for decorative purposes.

gbcc 09:55 AM 01-04-2011
I don't think the state will have a problem with emply bottles that look like they are for decoration. However, parents may. Some parents are very picky and they may take this as a sign of being immature and/or partiers.

As far as areas not used for daycare. If the children wont have access and they are not on your written plan or diagram they can not look in those areas.

Good luck!!
momofsix 09:55 AM 01-04-2011
Welcome! When I was inspected she checked every room. Though in the rooms that were not being licensed she didn't open closets/drawers etc., just peeked in them. The bottles should be fine as long as they are oout of reach of the children. Not sure about the bathroom being upstairs.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 01-04-2011
Mine checks every room, every visit.
KEG123 09:58 AM 01-04-2011
I've already talked to licensing about the bathroom being upstairs...thats not really what I was asking about. I was more or less asking if they would be inspecting the rooms that were off limits to the children, including the bedrooms that are upstairs. The bathroom is right at the top of the stairs, and I would put a gate right past it so that they would not be able to enter the bedrooms.
KEG123 09:59 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Mine checks every room, every visit.
That's good to know. I'll just have to ask my licensing rep when she comes, since it seems to vary.
marniewon 10:30 AM 01-04-2011
It does vary. I was told to expect licensing to inspect every area, even those not used for daycare, but when she actually came, not only did she not check those areas, but only stuck her head in my master bedroom where the dck's nap. I have a master bath beyond the bedroom that just has an opening (no door) around the corner from the bedroom, it's pretty obvious there's something more back there, but she didn't even go in and look.
MyAngels 02:27 PM 01-04-2011
I'm in Illinois, too, and have been licensed for 19 years now. I've had licensing reps that check every square inch of space, including closets and drawers. I've also had reps that do a quick walk through of only the daycare space and call it a day. I guess it must depend on the rep. I had one that spent an entire day here for just a renewal visit - thank goodness she retired a couple of years ago! My visit this year was an hour, tops, and we spent most of the time chatting about people that we both knew, and how daycare has changed in the past ten years or so.
KEG123 04:57 PM 01-04-2011
Alright then. So the person who comes is always different? And basically sometimes they check and sometimes they don't. Wow. I don't have a problem with them viewing my daycare area, but sometimes my room and the basement, where my chinchillas are, gets messy!
marniewon 05:29 PM 01-04-2011
Alright then. So the person who comes is always different? And basically sometimes they check and sometimes they don't. Wow. I don't have a problem with them viewing my daycare area, but sometimes my room and the basement, where my chinchillas are, gets messy!
No, not necessarily. We have one licensor that oversees our county and she would be the only one coming out. The only way someone else would come to my home is if she quit/retired/got fired or they restructured their areas so someone else would oversee our county.
My Lil' Monkeys 06:13 PM 01-04-2011
So I will start by saying, for those you who don't know me, I have not yet been licensed. I have to drop off my remaining paperwork today, and set up for my home visit. Then I'm done! Hooray!

BUT I've been going over some things regarding my house that the licensing rep and/or parents might notice.

For example, in my kitchen, we have empty wine bottles, and import beer bottles up on the top of my cupboards. Does this look bad? Like we are alcoholics or something?? We never drink to get drunk, but will have something once in a while. I save them for the labels, my boyfriend saves them because he loves import beers.

Also, our upstairs will NOT be used for daycare, except the bathroom which is right at the top of the stairs. (the rest of the upstairs will be gated off) When they do home inspections, will they be looking at the parts of the house that are not in use by children? Primarily our bedrooms, the basement/laundry room (even though it would be used during our tornado drills) and DBF's "mancave" (which is also upstairs)?

I might have more questions brewing... but thought I'd throw these out there. Thanks!
I have bottles above my cabinets and my licensing consultant didn't say anything (or any of my parents so far). She did check all rooms and my basement even though I am not licensed for my basement.
My Lil' Monkeys 06:22 PM 01-04-2011
In my area I have the same licensing consultant who was assigned to my area. I didn't know that they where going to check and my basement storage area was a mess. She just looked over it and said "everyone has to have some place to store there stuff". I don't think they care if it's messy - your daycare kids aren't using the area.
My Daycare 06:21 AM 01-05-2011
I'm in IL also, and my rep only looked at the rooms to be licensed. She did not even look in the basement where I will have tornado drills. However, it was my 1st and only inspection so far and all reps seem to be different in IL. She did not even inspect my kitchen because I had gates up.

I had the same worries before my inspection, so I cleaned and organized the whole house anyway.

Good Luck!
Francine 06:53 AM 01-05-2011
I've already talked to licensing about the bathroom being upstairs...thats not really what I was asking about. I was more or less asking if they would be inspecting the rooms that were off limits to the children, including the bedrooms that are upstairs. The bathroom is right at the top of the stairs, and I would put a gate right past it so that they would not be able to enter the bedrooms.
They only checked the rooms that I use when I was inspected. Didn't even look in the rooms that I don't use.
lvt77 03:33 PM 01-05-2011
I would take them out...Don't want people to get the wrong idea and trust me they will come up with some of the craziest things you can think of,....I agree with when it doubt take it out....
I have a small wine collection on my kitchen counter in a small rack....No one ever said a word...I had an interview and a parent blew up at me....so you never know..
KEG123 03:40 PM 01-05-2011
Yeah I think I'm gonna leave the bottles alone. If a parent said anything, I'd know they were way too uptight. I'm of legal age, I shouldn't have to hide the fact that I like the "de-stress" every once in a while with a bottle of wine.

And IF a parent said anything, I'd reevaluate at that time.
lvt77 03:44 PM 01-05-2011
I would leave a few, but if you leave a lot, they might get the wrong idea that you drink a lot.....like I said parents think of some of the craziest things some times so don't give them any reason to.

lol I know this sounds bad, but she asked me why the wine was there and if I drank.....of course this was after yelling at me and I said....oh yes I drink, but only when kids are present....just trying to make a joke....when she didnt laugh, I knew she was not fit for me......lol
btw after realizing what I said, I was lucky she didnt call SS on me.....but I found out fast that she was a parent that I woould conflict with in the future...
Abigail 05:32 PM 01-05-2011
Did you attend a licensing requirement class? It's just a class for those who want to become licensed that most states should offer. I was lucky because the class I went to had a lot of bold providers in it and asked a lot of the "tough" questions to the representatives. LOL. I just sat and listened.

I have seen many places that you can tell a drinking partier lives there. I'm sure your home doesn't or you would have heard it before. It's your attitude and personality that will show you're a great childcare provider. If you're in doubt, take out....I agree. We were told something like that at our meeting to get licensed. (You can always just have 5 or something and put a few away to meet in the middle, lol!) Either way, when I walk into someone's house and see DOZENS of bottles (especially if they're dusty) I don't like to look at it.

As far as where your licensing rep goes in your home.....here they're required to check out your entire house even if rooms or an entire level is off limits. Every county has their own set of rules. You can call if you're curious to find out how many representatives your county has and just tell them you're curious how many different people you would expect over the years to come by and visit. You can also ask the rep when they come too if you remember, but you might forget to then. They will even check outside. If you have 5 feet of snow (like we do!) and it's literally impossible to play in the backyard but you have a bottle of fuel for the snowblower sitting on the deck you will still get written up.

Ask a friend to come over and "play the rep" and walk throughout the house to make you feel more confident and give you opinions without offending you. Make sure to get down on the floor to see what you might not otherwise notice....maybe you had an outlet under the kitchen island you never knew you had (that is what happened to me!) and then you would know you need to get two more outlet covers. ha ha.

In the end, I would be prepared for them to go throughout the entire house, but stress more on the daycare areas than the off-limits area. Ask your husband or anyone in the household to pitch in and clean up in general too. It's a good excuse to get help cleaning!
mac60 03:22 AM 01-06-2011
I know this issue has been brought up before.....but it is rediculous that within your own home, that you can't have any private/family space. They seriously have absolutely no business going into my bedroom, my kids bedrooms, or a bathroom the dck never use. And to go thru my drawers and closets, omg, I would be livid. None of their business.
lvt77 10:42 AM 01-06-2011
mac60 i felt the same way at first but then realized that they are doing it to make sure you are not hiding anything....
what if someone had guns in their room, or one story I read that a lady trying to get her license had marjuana plants growing in her bathroom bathtub....of course it was part of the daycare she was not using....its just for safety reasons
LaLa714 11:35 AM 01-06-2011

In MD we aren't allowed to have any alcohol in the home when children are in care. Maybe my licensing department is off their rocker but that's what they told me. Here they only inspected the rooms where I would provide care. However, I did have them all inspected just in case.
Tags:daycare appearance, new daycare
Reply Up