Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Male Home Daycare Startup - How Did Yours Go?
Mike 07:24 AM 04-22-2016
As many of you know, I'm male and in the preparation stages of starting a home daycare. I expect being male to be a bit of a hindrance since most still believe it's a woman's job, but it is gradually being accepted by more people.

Daycare won't provide enough income right away. I calculate that until I have 3 children, I would have to work several hours evenings and weekends to supplement my income. At 4 I would be free to do whatever, like the housecleaning and prep for the next day.

My question, mostly for any men here doing home daycare, or anyone who knows one, is:
How did your startup go?

I imagine once I have 1 for a couple weeks and they see what I'm like, it will be fairly easy to get others. Hopefully
Cat Herder 07:30 AM 04-22-2016
The three I know of all started as coaches for local youth sports and after school programs.

People choose who they know, like and trust.

Get involved in your community and you won't even have to advertise.
Mike 07:56 AM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The three I know of all started as coaches for local youth sports and after school programs.

People choose who they know, like and trust.

Get involved in your community and you won't even have to advertise.
I like that idea. Thanks

I just posted another thread that says a little about my experience and that I'm moving to a new city do to supply and demand. In my first couple months in the new city I will get involved in the community, and of course the church I go to. Then when I do start providing care, people will already know me there.

I will also be doing tutoring, so that may help as well.
DaveA 11:36 AM 04-22-2016
For me it was going from working in a daycare center to running a home day care, so it wasn't a totally new thing for me. My boss was supportive, so I was able to juggle schedule during the time before start up to do anything with DCFS or stuff like that. As for enrollment, I have to admit now it's kind of a blurry memory. I know I had 1 DCF start, another started within a couple weeks, and within 3 months I was at capacity.

I worked in a different area than where I lived/ opened, so I was kind of in the same boat of establishing my identity in the community. I advertised a bunch and did some stuff in the community/ school to get "out there". It worked well.

As for the "male thing"- yeah it's going to be a hassle at times. Luckily not a major one probably. My experience is 50-75% of people either have no problem with a guy in childcare or just a "Wow- that's different" reaction, 10-15% are not happy with it but willing to listen, and 10-15% are opposed no matter what. The latter group will drive you nuts sometimes. But all in all it's something you will be able to overcome.
Mike 01:30 PM 04-22-2016
Thanks Dave. I've talked about my plan to quite a few people, and have seen both ends of opinions, so I can handle the negatives. I think if I start with community involvement it will go ok. 2 summers ago I went to 3 yard sales of closed home daycares to buy some stuff. At each one I told them why I was buying. One said that was great, we need more males in the field. Another said the same general thing, but followed with, you may have trouble getting established, and it won't work around here. No daycare need in this area. The 3rd one just gave me a weird look and said nothing. I ended up not buying anything from her. Her loss.
Tags:daycare, male, start up
Reply Up