Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby food in home day cares.
djastina 10:23 AM 01-08-2015
Hello, I have a home day care question. In my home day care I provide meals for kids who are able to eat regular food. For infants, parents provide formula or milk for me to feed them. However, when babies are ready to switch to baby food, for the parents who don't want to feed with baby food from the store, should parents provide their own baby food for me to feed them, or I have to make the baby food myself?
Reply
Second Home 10:46 AM 01-08-2015
I have parents supply all formula and food until their baby can eat regular table food with no big or special preparation . If they do not want jar food then they would have to bring their own prepared food.
Reply
Play Care 10:47 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by djastina:
Hello, I have a home day care question. In my home day care I provide meals for kids who are able to eat regular food. For infants, parents provide formula or milk for me to feed them. However, when babies are ready to switch to baby food, for the parents who don't want to feed with baby food from the store, should parents provide their own baby food for me to feed them, or I have to make the baby food myself?
I have parents provide the infant food, period. I don't give a hoot if they want to buy it or make their own - they need to bring it to me. I will not make baby food.
Reply
Shell 10:50 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have parents provide the infant food, period. I don't give a hoot if they want to buy it or make their own - they need to bring it to me. I will not make baby food.

Reply
LysesKids 10:50 AM 01-08-2015
I'm odd one out; I always feed my babies homemade baby food... of course thats after the parents have started them eating solids at home; it really isn't hard to smash a piece of banana or cooked sweet potatoes, and avocados are great too. Of course all my babies are BF and not started on solids until 6 months or later for the most part
Reply
Unregistered 11:02 AM 01-08-2015
I have parents provide all food until they are able to eat table food. Since everyone starts cereal/baby food/solids at different times for infants, I have the parents bring them as they introduce them. I also request that everything that comes here for them has been things they have already tried at home. I don't want to introduce something to an infant and find out they have an allergy to it.
Reply
SignMeUp 11:06 AM 01-08-2015
Our Food Program says that we must provide the food (except breast milk for infants) and that it is discrimination if we do not offer the FP to families of infants. So if you are on the FP, be sure to check with them.
Reply
finsup 11:31 AM 01-08-2015
Parents provide all food until a baby is old enough for table foods. Basically, when they start being able to self feed well is when I take over. Anything they want to do before that is on them. Breast milk or formula is required for the first year though. I do this because baby food adds up, I don't want to make it myself (I have enough to cook as it is! lol) and so many parents are picky about what their baby eats, I don't want that battle lol. You want to feed your baby 100% organic? Go for it. No store bought food? No problem. Send it to me and we'll be all set!
Reply
Play Care 11:56 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Our Food Program says that we must provide the food (except breast milk for infants) and that it is discrimination if we do not offer the FP to families of infants. So if you are on the FP, be sure to check with them.
You may have to offer, but you get to choose what to offer. For instance I have to offer formula. And I do - Walmart brand generic formula. No one has ever taken me up on it. Same thing with the baby food. I'll provide store bought generic jarred foods. If the parents refuse that, I then don't have to come up with alternatives.
Reply
KSDC 12:08 PM 01-08-2015
Another odd man here...
I make baby food too. Honestly, it isn't hard. For the most part, my infants eat the same food my older kids eat. I have a couple of hand grinders and a mini food processor.
Reply
Cradle2crayons 12:09 PM 01-08-2015
I provide all infant cereal and baby food... Parents provide formula. I'm not on the food program. I'll provide formula for an additional charge.

Right now I have two infants, both with reflux, both on Zantac, both on Zyrtec, both on very thick bottles (I use a lottttttttttt of rice cereal). Actually, they are both on miralax occasionally too. One on soy, one on a.r.

Come to think of it... Where do these babies come from anyway?? Lol.

The almost 8 month old... I provide jarred food if I don't have anything appropriate to blend up which is a rare thing
Reply
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:44 PM 01-08-2015
This could be a deal breaker for me, if it were my situation. I absolutely have to provide the food because of FP. Not allowed to have parents bring, nor charge more if I agree to some special terms of feeding (they do occasionally contact parents so it's not something I'd chance). This is all in the handbook.

I would not want the inconvenience of not being able to use jarred foods. I do use a lot of some soft foods as baby food (like avocados and bananas), but I would not want to have to steam broccoli, carrots, peas, etc. and have ready. How stressful!

So, the way I see it, there are 3 choices:

1. My personal favorite-smile and nod. Yep, that's what I'll do! You betcha! Then do whatever it is I need to do to stay sane because there is no way they will ever "get it," and I don't want to fight about it.

2. Explain your side and hope they will see things your way and agree to jarred food. Stick to your guns, and be prepared if they decide to pull.

3. Actually do what they are asking you to do. Maybe make them buy and gift you a baby bullet and lots of nifty storage containers for you to do this.

Good luck!
Reply
LysesKids 02:46 PM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
Another odd man here...
I make baby food too. Honestly, it isn't hard. For the most part, my infants eat the same food my older kids eat. I have a couple of hand grinders and a mini food processor.

Reply
renodeb 10:16 AM 01-09-2015
It's providers preference. If they bring it I don't think you can claim in on the food program. (don't know if that applies to you). Probably easier for parent to bring it though.
Reply
DaveA 12:03 PM 01-09-2015
Not on the food program. I provide formula and baby food.
Reply
Tags:baby food, home daycare
Reply Up