Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained But Still in Naptime Diapers---How Long is Too Long?
Unregistered 08:42 PM 06-13-2021
Hello there all!

Quick question regarding a family that just recently returned to care with us post-Covid.

DCB is 4, will be 5 in August, but still wets the bed at night, and during naptime. As I haven't seen this family in almost a year and a half, I wasn't sure if there would have been any progress on this front...but there appears not to have been.

I don't force the older two (only 4 dcks at the moment) to sleep at naptime, but only lie down and stay quiet. However, DCB *does* sleep, almost 100% of the time while here, and despite potty breaks immediately before napping, he almost always will pee while napping. He is a EXTREMELY deep sleeper.

This isn't a huge deal by itself, only DCM sends (and requests DCB wear) actual, size 6 diapers to nap in. The same brand, in a different size, than their almost 2 yo wears.

Would you be OK with this...? I've had dcks in the past that have worn pull-ups for nap, and had accidents every now and then--but this dcb is wearing full on diapers--and uses them *every* day he's here.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:34 AM 06-14-2021
I would not have a problem with it. Some kids wet the bed until 7 or so years of age. It isn't quite the same thing as a kid who is not potty trained.

I would prefer the diaper, myself, because the pull-up types tend to leak more while lying down on nap linens.
Reply
girlmomma 12:23 PM 06-14-2021
I wouldn’t mind either, my oldest wet the bed until she was about 6 1/2. If she did get up, she’d almost always mess on the way.
Reply
e.j. 12:43 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This isn't a huge deal by itself, only DCM sends (and requests DCB wear) actual, size 6 diapers to nap in. The same brand, in a different size, than their almost 2 yo wears.

Would you be OK with this...? I've had dcks in the past that have worn pull-ups for nap, and had accidents every now and then--but this dcb is wearing full on diapers--and uses them *every* day he's here.
Unless the dcm is using the diapers as a way to embarrass the 4 year old by implying he's wearing "baby" diapers like his little brother, I'd have no problem with it. Some kids take longer to be fully trained and if wearing diapers is less expensive than Pull Ups, it makes sense to me that the parents would buy them. As long as dcb has something to put on that keeps him dry and my nap mats and rug clean, and sanitary, it doesn't really matter to me which he wears.
Reply
Ariana 02:25 PM 06-16-2021
Almost all of my DCks have had pull-ups at nap until they leave for kinder. I use pull-ups mainly for ease of use and they can put them on themselves while I get the others ready for bed etc.
Reply
Unregistered 05:46 AM 06-19-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not have a problem with it. Some kids wet the bed until 7 or so years of age. It isn't quite the same thing as a kid who is not potty trained.

I would prefer the diaper, myself, because the pull-up types tend to leak more while lying down on nap linens.
OP here! At the risk of jinxing our routine somewhat, this has actually been our experience as well. Other than the break during lockdown/covid, the family of this dcb has been my most longstanding family, and during that entire time--I've only dealt with one actual *leak* with him during naptime, and this child is a very heavy wetter.

My only slight concern is that--while I know the vast majority of the time this dcb is genuinely having 'accidents' while he's fully asleep (again, he sleeps like the dead), I do also know there are times where he will lay there, awake--and simply pee himself, because he's diapered. I'm somewhat torn on whether or not I should make a stink of this.

In addition, I charge the standard rate, for a fully potty trained child for him. Because, as I said--he's very reliably potty trained all times of the day other than nap/nighttime. Is this what others do...?

Thanks to everyone for the perspectives!
Reply
Michael 11:47 PM 06-19-2021
Thanks for the post. Suggest you register and become a part of our daycare community.
Reply
girlmomma 06:17 AM 06-23-2021
I wouldn’t charge extra for changing one pull up a day.

Here is food for thought, would you rather: 1) the child get up during nap time, risk waking all the other children, so he could pee in the toilet? Or would you prefer that he lay there quietly without disrupting everyone around? If he happens to go, he goes.! 2) would you also prefer to put him down in underwear, just to have to change his outfit, wash his bedding along with sanitizing everything and the entire area? Oh; and trying to get parents to bring clothes the next day to change him into?

Personally, I would much rather change a single Pull-up after nap time than to deal with all the fuss. I don’t charge extra for that because at the end of the day, it’s saving me so much hassle!
Reply
Cat Herder 06:28 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here! At the risk of jinxing our routine somewhat, this has actually been our experience as well. Other than the break during lockdown/covid, the family of this dcb has been my most longstanding family, and during that entire time--I've only dealt with one actual *leak* with him during naptime, and this child is a very heavy wetter.

My only slight concern is that--while I know the vast majority of the time this dcb is genuinely having 'accidents' while he's fully asleep (again, he sleeps like the dead), I do also know there are times where he will lay there, awake--and simply pee himself, because he's diapered. I'm somewhat torn on whether or not I should make a stink of this.

In addition, I charge the standard rate, for a fully potty trained child for him. Because, as I said--he's very reliably potty trained all times of the day other than nap/nighttime. Is this what others do...?

Thanks to everyone for the perspectives!
I have one of those, too, right now. Only it is BM. Every day at naptime. The only solution I have is to physically walk her to the bathroom as soon as I see her rolling around on her mat.

She is awake, but not totally. Touching her startles her and she grabs my arm looking confused everyday while we are walking there. I use a soft voice and just tell her we are going to the potty over and over until I see her finally aware of her surrounding enough to smile in recognition of my face or answer me verbally.

She sleeps so hard, she takes a bit to fully wake up. She also talks, sings and kicks often in her sleep. When she is a bit older, her parents intend to have a sleep study conducted.

You really should register. Stick around.
Reply
Tags:bed wetting, potty train
Reply Up