Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh My Word...These Parents!!!
Unregistered 06:28 AM 11-09-2011
Once again today, its time to go outside to bus stop....and my 2 1/2 dcb doesn't have shoes AGAIN!!!! This is getting to be a weekly occurence he comes without shoes, only one shoe in the bag, some shoes are too big and just fall off constantly!!!!! I mean how many times can I tell the parents "no shoes today again", wouldnt they get the hint to make sure they are in his bag when they pack his clothes daily, they dont seem to forget those.....on another note this little one is also at my house 10-15 minutes before I open in the morning waiting outside and is always picked up about 10 mins after I close(I have the no late charge for first 10 mins) and parents seem to take full advantage of it!!!!! I feel like I might as well just keep him all week and give him back on weekends since he is with me 90% of the time anyways. And I so get cheated on what they are being charged, but that's my fault from the beginning...
AfterSchoolMom 06:47 AM 11-09-2011
Can you redo your contract so that starting in January, you get rid of the 10 minute grace period, and apply an "inconvenience fee" every time they forget his shoes? Or, go to goodwill or a discount store and get a pair that you can keep at your house.
beachgrl 06:56 AM 11-09-2011
I know... I feel like working on my handbook, what else can I or do I need to include to account for all the crazy things that may happen just because some people don't have common sense or decency!
nannyde 06:56 AM 11-09-2011
When you allow an extra 20 minutes a day for free at the end of the year you will have given 2 WEEKS of free child care.

20 minutes X 5 days = 100 minutes

100 minutes per week X 50 weeks =5000 minutes

5000 minutes divided by 60 minutes = 83.33 HOURS

83 hours of free care = 2 weeks of free day care.

A little adds up REALLY quickly. I guarantee the parents wouldn't do two full weeks of free work for their boss.

Put a stop to that today. Tell them you don't offer any windows of time. They must arrive and depart per contract.

When the child arrives do NOT allow the parent to leave until you have confirmed that he has shoes and that they FIT. If he comes without them then send the kid OUT THE DOOR with the parent to get FITTED shoes. Make sure you say that he has to have shoes and they MUST fit.

One time of booting him back out the door with kid in hand will stop it.
Cat Herder 07:00 AM 11-09-2011
It is going to be up to you to reinforce your policies. You are the one allowing this to continue.

Check the bag and don't allow him in without shoes. Send them back home, child in hand, to get them.

Don't let them in before you open.

Charge them HEAVILY for late pick-ups. Give them warnings and be prepared to terminate if necessary.

I wish there was an easy button. I wish parents would just do as expected. Unfortunately, that is not in the cards.

YOU have to enforce your policies consistently. In the end, it really only effects YOU.
awestbrook713 07:03 AM 11-09-2011
I have parents like this, I just revised my policies and included they need to provide proper attire each day, the child must be dressed and ready at drop off, and not providing proper clothing for a child may result in termination. If that doesn't grab there attention I will give 2 warnings and the third will be their termination notice.

I also have a family that does the early drop offs. I am not going to allow this anymore since dad can drop dcg's off at moms and she can walk over and drop them off after I open. If they choose not to do this they will be getting charged an extra $10 a day.

Make sure your policies work for you, keep a list of issues you run into and when you revise contracts, policies you can look at that list and figure out how to address it. Good luck!!
mismatchedsocks 07:04 AM 11-09-2011
Child needs to leave a pair of shoes at your house. Let them know that monday they need to have shoes on his feet and a pair to keep at your house. Also let them know that monday if they show up with out both pairs, that they will need to turn around and go get some.

Also, I charge $1 a minute after closing. Of course i am lenient with weather, etc but if a family is always late, they will definitely be paying for it.
Country Kids 07:07 AM 11-09-2011
I have one that doesn't come with shoes but we wear mud/rain boots everyday outside so in September I have everyone bring a new pair of mud/rain boots and leave them here. Makes it so much easier also because no good shoes are getting ruined and they are soooooo easy to get on and off. Maybe aske them or just pick up some and then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
MarinaVanessa 07:22 AM 11-09-2011
As long as there are parents on this planet, people will forget their kids shoes . I had such a hard time with exactly all of those issues as you have written until I relented and finally did what Nan does and bought shoes of my own to keep. I only bought shoes in the sizes that the enrolled DC kids needed and so far it has worked out WONDERFULLY.

DCK only has 1 shoe in bag? DCK doesn't have shoes at all? Too big? Too small? Two year old has shoes that lace up (one of my personal pet peeves, if they can't tie their shoes on their own DON'T bring them in lace up shoes)No problem, I have a spare pair.
Cat Herder 07:30 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
As long as there are parents on this planet, people will forget their kids shoes . I had such a hard time with exactly all of those issues as you have written until I relented and finally did what Nan does and bought shoes of my own to keep. I only bought shoes in the sizes that the enrolled DC kids needed and so far it has worked out WONDERFULLY.

DCK only has 1 shoe in bag? DCK doesn't have shoes at all? Too big? Too small? Two year old has shoes that lace up (one of my personal pet peeves, if they can't tie their shoes on their own DON'T bring them in lace up shoes)No problem, I have a spare pair.
I actually have spares of everything, too. It should be a providers choice, though. Not a necessity.

I still require them to have shoes each day for going home. I don't allow them to wear my stuff home. Having my own stash is about limiting liability from damage, (that way we can get as dirty as we want) not keeping them from being responsible for their own children's needs.

Granted, I am crabby today... I still would be very unhappy with a parent who CONSISTENTLY did this. Not one who just had an off day. YKWIM?
Unregistered 08:01 AM 11-09-2011
I just don't feel that I should have to spend my own money, whether it be $2 or $20 to have "spare" supplies because parents are irresponsible....these parents in specific come to my house in the mornings done right up, hair and make up always done on mom....there is no reason why they can't make sure bag is fully packed daily. We play outside before pick up everyday, so he plays outside in his socks...oh well if they get ruined....Im not making the other kids suffer and have to stay inside because of their irresponsibility. Mind you they only have ONE child, so no excuse in my opinion!!
countrymom 08:04 AM 11-09-2011
that would drive me nuts. I would ask for a pair of shoes that must stay at my house or not allow them in my house without shoes, one or the other. If they can sit in your driveways for 15min then they can go home and get shoes.
Just Saying 08:17 AM 11-09-2011
I had a mom that would bring her 16 month old with no shoes. I explained to her he must have shoes. The a week later no shoes again and she would say she could not find them. I told her to find them and bring an extra pair. She did bring an extra pair, but then she forgot them again and she took the spares.

Then a few weeks later here he comes again with no shoes. Well she was late for school because she had to listen to my speech about why shoes are important.

I told her, what happens if there was a tornado and glass was all over the place? I told her that her son weighs 35 pounds and I could not carry him and get all the other children to a safe area.

I told her what would happen if there was a gas leak and we were told we had to WALK out of the neighborhood and he had NO shoes.

I told her what would happen if there was a fire and we were told by the fire department to walk down the street.

She stopped and looked at me and said "my baby could get glass in his feet", I said "My Point", so Please don't not ever bring him without shoes again.

She has never brought him again without shoes.

She was 20 minutes late for class that day!
Christian Mother 12:33 PM 11-09-2011
I have never really had a problem with parents not bring shoes however; getting the children to keep them on while we are out side is a whole diff. story lol!! If you keep having the battle of the parent not making sure that shoes are on his feet each day or that there not in the diaper bag I would tell mom that if again this happens you will pick up a pair and SHE will fit the bill. They will be shoes that will stay at daycare so it will never become a problem again. Be VERY serious about it. If your not and she doesn't see or get that this is a HUGE concern...she won't take it as such. So it's up to you to make her understand that no shoes is big deal at daycare. There could be a million reason that child should have them and she's creating a big problem in your care by not providing them. If it came down to it. I'd buy him a cheap pair that I'd write off with my taxes at the end of the yr. You can bet anything I put into my daycare, I buy for my daycare will be reimbursed by state. It's one of the wonderful things of owning your own business. Just keep good track of your receipts girlie...it pays off in the long run and you will get that all back at the end of the yr!! Time to begin a new change to your policies starting Jan 1st which will be a addendum to late parents. I charge $5 for the min after their contracted time. I don't allow anymore 15min late bc I give each family 10 hrs of care instead of 9 for their daycare rate. If they can still be late when I've given them that they are def. going to pay late fees. And I have def. reinforced them this yr and not one complaint bc they understand I've done my part in helping as much as I can do.
daycare 12:38 PM 11-09-2011
I would turn them away at the door. NO shoes no stay.

I have done it twice too. To the same family. the ended up buying shoes to leave at my house.

If they already left, I would call them and demand they either bring shoes or pick him up...

Oh and the late and early thing would stop if it were at my house... Its not a chance to take advantage you its to give them a small window for the days they are stuck at the office or in traffic...

I would be changing that policy for them as of yesterday.....
Ariana 02:23 PM 11-09-2011
What nannyde an catheder said! or have spares. I have sent a parent back to their house for splash pants and they haven't forgotten since. I do keep spare clothes though just because what the mom was providing was ridiculousy innapropriate!!
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, provider - burnout risk
Reply Up