Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Home DayCare Requirements

I want to open a home day care in California and I am trying to get a clear perspective on what is required to run (licensing and registration etc). I see the 12 Postsecondary units but what exactly does that mean? Also, what counts as experience (I mentor kids in an anti bullying organization, would that count)?

Is there anything else (besides home inspection) that I should have in mind?

Thanks in advnace
Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

http://www.ccld.ca.gov

You do not have to have 12 units unless you are opening a large family child care, (14 children) and even then a year of experience, 3 hours per day, working with children is all you need. Either or, you do not need both. For a small license (8 children) you do not need either. You will need pediatric cpr and first aid, and a health and safety training course. General things like child proofing, 2A10BC fire extinguisher, emergency disaster plan, etc. You will attend an orientation first, which is where they will spell all of this out for you.

Where in California are you?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

https://www.daycare.com/california/c...ientation.html

also, http://www.Daycare.com/california

Last edited by Michael; 06-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
http://www.ccld.ca.gov

You do not have to have 12 units unless you are opening a large family child care, (14 children) and even then a year of experience, 3 hours per day, working with children is all you need. Either or, you do not need both. For a small license (8 children) you do not need either. You will need pediatric cpr and first aid, and a health and safety training course. General things like child proofing, 2A10BC fire extinguisher, emergency disaster plan, etc. You will attend an orientation first, which is where they will spell all of this out for you.

Where in California are you?
Thanks a million for Crystal, this helps a lot. I live in the San Fernando Valley (West Hills/ Canoga Park). Are you in California as well?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think they are actually going to start having the licensing orientation meetings online. I saw something about that on the lic. website.
I think it's a bad idea. Those orientations are really good and should be run by an actual live person. They also have question and answer time afterwards.

Tags
california, classes, home inspection, units