Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Give Me Your Late Pick Up Policy
DanceMom 06:21 AM 10-27-2010
I am sending home a late pick up policy with fees etc.

Can I see yours.

Thanks !
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 10-27-2010
$10 per every 15 minutes after I close. This is pretty standard for all child cares in our town. Plus I don't live in my child care home so when I close at 6 P.M. I want to go home!!!! I open at 6 A.M. so it can get long. Parents usually only push the limit and pay the fee once and it never happens again. VERY strict about late pick up fee....NO EXCEPTIONS!!! (This is aside from actual emergencies) I do not have a late pickup fee for being late after their scheduled pick up as long as it is not after closing time. I bill by the day so I don't care if you use the whole day....
missnikki 06:30 AM 10-27-2010
From my handbook:

"Late Pick-up Fees (after hours): Parents picking up children after 6:00 p.m. will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per minute, per child with no cap. Late fees are payable in cash to the closing teacher upon pick up. Unpaid late pick up fees will be billed to the child’s account balance. Upon three or more late pick ups, a penalty of $30 will be billed in addition to applicable per-minute fees. "

No mercy.
DanceMom 06:40 AM 10-27-2010
Does anyone waive fees for extreme weather or do you expect the parents to allow themselves plenty of time in snow etc ?
Lilbutterflie 06:42 AM 10-27-2010
I have only one dc family, and she usually picks up at 5:30pm. Her contracted hours are until 5:30, but she has a quite a commute and I definitely understand her being late due to traffic. Therefore, I have a set closing time of 6:00pm and for every 10 minutes she is late after 6:00 she gets billed $5.
Sometimes she is there 15 or so minutes after 5:30pm and that's fine with me as long as it's due to traffic. BUT lately she's been calling and asking things like, "Is it ok if I run to the store or go do this or that. I'll still be there by 6:00." That's not why I have a half hour grace period Lady! It's for traffic problems, not if you want to run to the store without your kids. So, I'm thinking I should get rid of the half hour grace period and start charging her late fees after 5:40. That gives her a 10 minute grace period for traffic, but not long enough that she can run to the store and do her grocery shopping. Sorry to take over the thread... just venting I guess!!
AfterSchoolMom 07:32 AM 10-27-2010
I close at 5pm and I have a 5 minute grace period. After that it's $10 per fifteen minutes (or portion of 15 minutes), due the next morning. My policy states:

"Late pickups will not be tolerated for any reason. You will be expected to either pick your child up on time or to arrange for an alternate person to pick them up in case of a weather, traffic, work related, or other emergency."

I'm strict about that because my family participates in evening activities just about every day of the week.
legomom922 09:39 AM 10-27-2010
I have a 5 min grace period and after that it's $5 up to 30 min, and another $10 after 30 minutes, and $10 for any subsequent hr after that.

I also have a early drop off fee of $5 for 30 min and $10 for 60 min. If I have to get up early it has to be worth it to me!
Rachel 10:01 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Does anyone waive fees for extreme weather or do you expect the parents to allow themselves plenty of time in snow etc ?
I don't waive for extreme weather, but when I did afterschool care last year I allowed each parent 3x per year a free pass (up to 15 minutes, so if they were 45 minutes late that was all 3 in one shot). I do this because sometimes things actually do happen, and I don't want to punish my good parents, only want to stop people taking advantage of me. Last year the only time someone was late was my best parent, and he was on a bus that broke down. And even with the bus breaking down (intercity) and having to wait for a second bus, he was still only about 20 minutes late. I figure 3x a year things can happen, 3x a week you are taking advantage of me.
legomom922 10:30 AM 10-27-2010
I waive depending on the situation and who it is..and yes if there is a blizzard, I will waive it.
misol 10:33 AM 10-27-2010
My late fee is $1 per minute per child. I do have a grace period of 7 minutes but I am seriously considering removing that. I am finding that the "grace period" quickly becomes the regular pick up time. My family now has activities that we need to attend most evenings so 7 minutes makes a big difference when we're trying to rush out the door.

My handbook states that in bad weather parents should allow for extra commuting time because late fees will still apply. I have never had to enforce this but I want it in there just in case. It's like another poster said - I don't want to punish the good parents but I want to keep the other parents from taking advantage of me.
momma2girls 10:36 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I have only one dc family, and she usually picks up at 5:30pm. Her contracted hours are until 5:30, but she has a quite a commute and I definitely understand her being late due to traffic. Therefore, I have a set closing time of 6:00pm and for every 10 minutes she is late after 6:00 she gets billed $5.
Sometimes she is there 15 or so minutes after 5:30pm and that's fine with me as long as it's due to traffic. BUT lately she's been calling and asking things like, "Is it ok if I run to the store or go do this or that. I'll still be there by 6:00." That's not why I have a half hour grace period Lady! It's for traffic problems, not if you want to run to the store without your kids. So, I'm thinking I should get rid of the half hour grace period and start charging her late fees after 5:40. That gives her a 10 minute grace period for traffic, but not long enough that she can run to the store and do her grocery shopping. Sorry to take over the thread... just venting I guess!!
Yes, I would definately get rid of the 1/2 hr. grace period!! All my parents would defaintely use that to the fullest extent!! I have a 5 min. one, and they all use this to the fullest extent!!!
LaLa1923 08:21 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by missnikki:
From my handbook:

"Late Pick-up Fees (after hours): Parents picking up children after 6:00 p.m. will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per minute, per child with no cap. Late fees are payable in cash to the closing teacher upon pick up. Unpaid late pick up fees will be billed to the child’s account balance. Upon three or more late pick ups, a penalty of $30 will be billed in addition to applicable per-minute fees. "

No mercy.
Ty! I stole this and added it I my handbook! Very well written!
Soccermom 08:40 AM 10-23-2012
I don't charge a late fee because I will never enforce it since I am a huge weakling LOL

I am flexible with pick up time on some days if the parent runs it by me first. I have one DCf who normally picks up at 4:30 but sometimes needs me until 5:30 (I close at 5:30) DCD often gets stuck in traffic and doesn't arrive until 5:35/5:40 but he always calls to say I am on my way, I am about 5 min. away so I feel respected in that sense. I feel like most days they pick up an hour before closing so I can keep DCK for an extra hour or so once in awhile.

BUT I will term if DCP is often late with no prior agreement. My policy is that if there are more than 3 late pick ups in one month, the DCF is automatically termed. I tell them that from the first day. I haven't had to enforce it yet. I also have the right to term if I feel that DCF does not respect my hours of operation. I won't keep repeating myself and I won't put up with it.

After all these years in chilcare, I still have a weak backbone when it comes to enforcing late pick up fees and late payment fees but I will not tolerate being disrespected and being taken advantage of. It is my biggest pet peeve. I have termed 2 DCFS in the past because I felt like the carpet they wiped their shoes on.
littlemissmuffet 09:25 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by DanceMom:

I charge $1/minute, due in cash, immediately. I never allow a grace period or waive late fees. Regardless fo the circumstances, I expect children to be pickedup on time, or to be paid for the extra time I put in
Parents who pick up late habitually will be terminated without notice.
Unregistered 10:20 AM 10-23-2012
In the beginning, I had no for tardiness. I thought i would just tell everyone at their interviews that I close at 6:30, and that payment is due on Friday and they all respect that. About a month in everyone became shady withpayments, and I had one mom show up after 7 each day. She also lied about money being in the diaper bag etc. I was so fed up, I decided if a person did not respect my personal time and my finances then I didn't want to do business with them. Thus my policies were born.
3 late pickups ever will result in termination without notice
3 late payments will result in termination without notice

I could not see myself enforcing a late fee. Late fees are not enough to make up for my personal time being lost. I have not encountered a late pickup or payment since.
It's very simple, each family has a paper hanging in the playroom with three boxes to initial for late pickup, and three boxes to initial for late payment. It is a constant reminder.

Also please excuse me if this is difficult to read. I am typing on my phone.
Thanks
JenNJ 10:24 AM 10-23-2012
A late fee will be charged for any pick up past your agreed contracted time. The fee is $1 per minute payable before the next day of care. Care will not be provided until all late fees are paid in full. Multiple late pick ups are grounds for immediate termination.

I do not charge late fees to make extra money, I charge them because I value time with my family alone in our home.
snowball 11:37 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I charge $1/minute, due in cash, immediately. I never allow a grace period or waive late fees. Regardless fo the circumstances, I expect children to be pickedup on time, or to be paid for the extra time I put in
Parents who pick up late habitually will be terminated without notice.
This is my policy too.
meganyoon 09:08 AM 11-27-2018
I loved reading everyone's responses. I am in the process of starting my own daycare. This is the policy that I have come up with:

"If parent is going to be late picking up a child, every effort must be made to contact the provider. After 5:30 PM, a late pick-up fee of $1 per minute will be charged and billed to the child’s account balance."

I don't have any mercy either. When parents sign their contract and enroll, they understand (or they should!) you're expectations as a provider. It's not your problem if they are late!
CountryRoads 09:28 AM 11-27-2018
I do not do late fees because I don't want anyone to think it's an option to pick up past closing.
I don't have too many problems. Once in a while, someone will be like 2-3 minutes late and it's not a big deal. I will admit there's been a couple times when I wish I had it, like when dcm picked up 5 minutes past closing (without letting me know she would be late) because she had to pick up rolls from somebody
But I don't have too many issues. If I ever add in a fee, it would be $1 a minute, paid on the spot.
Kimskiddos 09:49 AM 11-27-2018
This is my late pick up policy. While I have enforced the fee, it is also a bit of a weakness for me also and rarely will I charge if they are less than 5 minutes late.

LATE PICK UP FEES

Parents are expected to pick up their child by the agreed upon dismissal time. A late fee charge of $10.00 for the first 10 minutes (or any part thereof) and $1.00 per minute starting 11 minutes after scheduled pick up time. If at least a two hour advance notice of a late pick up is received the fee will be $5.00 per 10 minutes (or any part thereof). Kim’s Kids Family Child Care closes at 5:00 p.m. All pickups must be completed by this time.
This late fee is due at pick up. If you need to arrange for extra hours before or after your regular scheduled hours, please speak to me, I will try and help when my schedule permits.

BrynleeJean 11:02 AM 11-27-2018
$1.00 for every minute past my closing time
my policy says its due that day upon picking up but i usually charge it to the tuition due at the end of that week.
common for my area though most don't enforce it as often as they should.
it only takes one late fee of 15 mins or so to make them realize I'm not playing with my family time and them magically theres not any more traffic. go figure. :roll eyes:
MyAngels 11:48 AM 11-27-2018
The only late pick up policy I've ever had is don't do it. It's worked great for over 25 years now.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 11-27-2018
I adopted Nan’s policy....

Don’t.

It’s by far the easiest and least confusing policy to date.
lovemykidstoo 12:26 PM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Yes, I would definately get rid of the 1/2 hr. grace period!! All my parents would defaintely use that to the fullest extent!! I have a 5 min. one, and they all use this to the fullest extent!!!
Plus blame a lateness on traffic instead of them just stopping to grab a gallon of milk or something.
lovemykidstoo 12:27 PM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
The only late pick up policy I've ever had is don't do it. It's worked great for over 25 years now.
That's what I do too. I work 10 hour days. I don't allow being late for any reason.
MarinaVanessa 01:02 PM 11-27-2018
Late pickups are one of my biggest pet peeves.

Here's mine:

Late Pick-Up Fee

Any pick-up arrival after your contract hours will result in a Late Pick-up fee of $20 for the first fifteen minutes and $1.00 for every minute thereafter which must be paid no later than at drop-off on your child’s next attendance day.

For example, if your scheduled pick up is at 4:00 p.m. but you do not leave my daycare home until 4:10 p.m, the appropriate late fee will apply for those 10 minutes.
Please see the “Late Pick Up” section for more information.

Late Pick-Ups
Clients must be respectful of my time, the needs of my own family and other obligations and must respect their contracted hours.

If your child is picked up later than your contracted pick-up time with no prior approval, I may have planned that time for other things and/or may not be present when you arrive to pick your child up. It will then be your responsibility to either go to my location to pick your child up or wait until I return, late fees will apply until the time that you retrieve your child.

Thirty minutes past your scheduled pickup time is considered excessively late and will require a meeting with me before a child may return to the daycare. Lateness of more than three occasions during the course of our contract is a significant problem and may be grounds for termination.

If you have a question or concern to discuss with me I am always happy to conference with you, but ask that you arrive early enough before your scheduled pick-up time or make an appointment with me so that there is enough time to talk.
Jupadia 07:08 AM 11-28-2018
I charge $1 per minute. If parent contacts me at least 15 min before they are late the fee changes to $10 per half hour with providers permission. I do this because traffic here can be really bad. We have some of the worse highway traffic, I know there are days my husband can get home 30 to 60 min late because of it. I also dont have parents that over use it at all. But I did add the line about providers permission so parents cant abuse the policy. It's only there for the times they actually get stuck. I originally made it $10 per hour but found that one parent (now gone) would only use it occasionally but then be the full hour every time. She would be running late but then stop to do an errand on the way since she had an hour. Now I find it's enough time for parents to deal with a hiccup on the road but not do anything else in between.
littlefriends 11:05 AM 11-28-2018
Late Pick Up: there will be a $1 per minute late fee for parents picking up their child(ren) after daycare has closed at 6pm. Little Friends Childcare is open from 7am to 6pm Mon thru Fri. If you arrive later than 6pm you will be given a late pick up notice the following morning with the total amount due that will need to be paid on Friday with the next week’s tuition. If the late pick up fee is not paid in full your child(ren) will not be allowed to attend until it has and is subject to an additional late payment fee as described above. There will be no exceptions for this policy. Calling or texting me to let me know that you are running late (while very much appreciated) will not waive this fee. As always, I am willing to work with you ahead of time if there are times that you know you will need care after 6pm but these times must be discussed with me BEFORE the date you will need after care and pre approved.
hwichlaz 04:09 PM 11-28-2018
Children that are still in care after their contracted pick up time will incur a $1 per minute fee until they leave the property with a guardian. The third time you are late without prior approval, you will have two weeks to find other care.
Tags:2010, late fee policy, late pickup, policy
Reply Up