Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking of Art...
Josiegirl 10:51 AM 04-08-2015
what are some ways we can bring art outdoors more? I'd like to create a space specifically for art supplies and special outside art activities but not sure how to set it up? Maybe something that I could attach to the fencing?
Last summer we drew on the fencing a lot with chalk. Or they'd take paper and markers to draw sitting at the picnic table. But I'd like something different. Any creative minds?
Thanks!!
Annalee 10:53 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
what are some ways we can bring art outdoors more? I'd like to create a space specifically for art supplies and special outside art activities but not sure how to set it up? Maybe something that I could attach to the fencing?
Last summer we drew on the fencing a lot with chalk. Or they'd take paper and markers to draw sitting at the picnic table. But I'd like something different. Any creative minds?
Thanks!!
Paint cans with water and let the kids paint the fence with water....it changes the color and the kids enjoy it without the paint mess....water dries!
butterfly 10:53 AM 04-08-2015
oooohhhh.... great idea. Following.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:14 AM 04-08-2015
Last year I bought this cart to be my outdoor "art cart." I filled it with paper on clipboards, cardboard, crayons, markers, pencils, scissors, glue, tape, and watercolor paints and brushes. It's parked in my shed and I pull it out whenever the weather allows. It's been a huge hit!

Also, a few years back I created a weaving loom: two horizontal sticks lashed to side-by-side trees, with string looped around and around from the top one to the bottom one. Over time we wove in lots of grasses, leaves, feathers, sticks, etc. I need to do that one again!

I also set up many of the same art activities outside that I would indoors: painting, clay, collage, etc.
Heidi 11:15 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Last year I bought this cart to be my outdoor "art cart." I filled it with paper on clipboards, cardboard, crayons, markers, pencils, scissors, glue, tape, and watercolor paints and brushes. It's parked in my shed and I pull it out whenever the weather allows. It's been a huge hit!

Also, a few years back I created a weaving loom: two horizontal sticks lashed to side-by-side trees, with string looped around and around from the top one to the bottom one. Over time we wove in lots of grasses, leaves, feathers, sticks, etc. I need to do that one again!

I also set up many of the same art activities outside that I would indoors: painting, clay, collage, etc.
Ahem...we will need a picture please!
Annalee 11:16 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I was thinking the same thing! This cart sounds like a wonderful idea!
nothingwithoutjoy 11:18 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Sorry--I thought that was probably a bad description! I took no photos. :-(
It was something like this.
MyAngels 11:24 AM 04-08-2015
I found this website: http://shopping.na1.netsuite.com/s.n...tegory.1513/.f

I have the art panel on the Honey Do list for DH, unfortunately there are several other projects on the list, too, so it may be awhile before I get it
LindseyA 11:31 AM 04-08-2015
Nature hunts are a huge hit. Make a chart of what the kids need to find (green leaf, lady bug, pinecone, flower, etc.) and make whoever finds them first, your helper or the leader or something special. We do this about once a week in the spring & summer (using different charts) and they beg for it almost everyday! You could even have them make their own charts with one to look at as a guideline. Other things we do outside are bubbles (see who can blow the biggest is always good natured, they all ooo and ahh, lol), paint with spray bottles (fill with water & paint, spray on paper that's on the ground for a different approach to just regular painting), leaf rubbing, draw today's weather...
Heidi 11:46 AM 04-08-2015
Thank you...I will put that on my list!
Josiegirl 03:41 PM 04-08-2015
Ooh I like that!!
Last summer I bought reels of ribbons and we had the garden fenced off with wire fencing. They weaved the ribbons around the garden. And we've done the painting with water before, I'll have to add that to my list because I always forget about that!
I just thought of something else we could do, take an old sheet and hang it up, use the colored spray bottles(like Lindsey's idea on paper) for that.
ColorfulSunburst 05:12 PM 04-08-2015
I have same, but I use it indoor.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:43 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Maybe something that I could attach to the fencing?
Last summer we drew on the fencing a lot with chalk.
Just wanted to add that if I had a fence, I'd install a big long easel on it (that could hold paper for several kids). Just took a peek on pinterest to see if I could find something like I've got in my head, and found this easy one.
Crystal 07:31 PM 04-08-2015
Several years ago I bought this for camping:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Pack-A...utdoor+kitchen

We never used it for camping so a couple of years ago I set it up outdoors for an art station. It's near my deck which holds a school age table and two preschool tables. It holds all of my supplies(paint, brushes, paper, glue, collage supplies, markers, crayons, etc.), has a small bin to use as a sink, a place for paper towels, etc. The only difference is the mesh pouch shown on the one above is different than mine, which is more like a mesh and canvas cabinet with two shelves and a zippered front.

In addition to that, I hung a woven cord across my window and added clothes pins for hanging artwork, and added an easel to the wall.

My outdoor art area is used every day, just as the indoor art center is and the kids absolutely love it!
childcaremom 05:42 AM 04-09-2015
I love all these ideas.

I got 2 plastic easels from a garage sale and set them out each day with paint. No paper. The kids would paint, then wash, then paint again.

We also had a chalkboard with chalk and water.

I had outdoor playdough, paper and crayons, markers,etc

Love the cart idea. I just saw one on kijiji and was thinking of getting it.
Laurel 10:20 AM 04-09-2015
Take a piece of contact paper and staple it sticky side up (for stability) to a piece of poster board (for a big enough for the whole group as a group project) or to a piece of construction paper if each wants to take one home. Then have them find leaves, twigs, etc. to put on the sticky side for a nature collage. We did group ones and then hung for parents to see when they came in.
Reply Up