Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cash Payments & Receipts??
Crazy8 03:02 PM 08-19-2011
Does everyone who gets cash payments give receipts on the spot? What type of receipts do you use?

In 10 years of daycare most everyone has paid me by check and they have all been wonderful, I think I had ONE check bounce on me, and it was a great client, just had a little account balance mishap - paid the fees and I continued to accept checks from them for about 2-3 more years. So, accepting checks is not an issue. I've had people give me occassional payments in cash. I didn't give a receipt on the spot, just plugged it into my annual statement for them (I keep a running total for each family in excel, they know they can request a YTD any time and I give them one for tax purposes at the end of the year).

But I have one newer client who seems to be paying me in cash every week - which is fine - but they don't always have exact change and I am not comfortable keeping my invoice/statement the same way I do when people have a cancelled check as their receipt. So I'd like to start giving them a receipt any time they give me a payment. I know they sell receipt books in Staples, etc. but just wondering if anyone uses anything else - maybe something a little cuter, LOL!

I also got the Square device for my phone to start accepting credit cards but I would have to pass the fees on to my families (it would total over $20/wk if I didn't) so I think most will just write the check.
Zoe 04:19 PM 08-19-2011
I give receipts to all of the families, but not on the spot. I fill them all out during nap time and give them out along with the daily note at the end of the day. I found a cute receipt online and use it. I'll try to attach it.
Attached: biweeklyreceipt.pdf (109.3 KB) 
PitterPatter 08:40 PM 08-19-2011
I am always paid in cash now and I give receipts whne they pay every 2 weeks. I just use the little receipt books at staples or even walmart that way I have duplicates all in 1 book for each client. I can go back and check who paid what when. I can also check the fees as those are marked on there as well.

I had a problem with a client trying to claim she paid more than she actually did. H&R Block called me to get my SS# and I asked what she was claiming. Hundreds more than she actually did. I told them I had the receipt books here on had with numbers on them and we could sit and match up receipts if need be. She said she didn't even have receipts she was just going on what she said she paid. So obviously the clients can just pick a number from the sky without proving it. I still like my carbon duplicate receipts. They can't alter them when I have a carbon copy.
Meyou 01:01 AM 08-20-2011
I take all cash payments. I have a payment log in each file where I note the date, amount, notes if there are extra charges and places for both of our initials. I give receipts annually.
Crazy8 05:16 AM 08-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I take all cash payments. I have a payment log in each file where I note the date, amount, notes if there are extra charges and places for both of our initials. I give receipts annually.
I guess I'm thinking of something more along these lines. I don't need to give receipts to every client - their returned check is their receipt and they get a statement at the end of the year that lists all payments, check numbers, etc. I just want something for this cash client - I want something they can sign saying they gave me the cash. Even if I have a receipt that I fill out, if only I signed it how is that proof, you know???

I also want it where the rest of them don't see each others payments so I don't want to use one receipt book if they can see the previous entries.
Crazy8 09:28 PM 08-24-2011
any other ideas/suggestions???
mom2many 10:51 PM 08-24-2011
I do have some parents paying in cash and I log it in, but do not give receipts on the spot. In 25 years, it has always worked out fine!
Crazy8 05:50 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I do have some parents paying in cash and I log it in, but do not give receipts on the spot. In 25 years, it has always worked out fine!
thanks, in my 10 years its never been a problem either - and this one probably won't be either once they start paying their weekly fee in September but right now they are just coming sporatically and don't always have exact change so I was worried I should be keeping better track.
AnythingsPossible 06:10 AM 08-25-2011
Always either give a reciept or log it and have both initial with cash payments. I have a family that I have worked for for 5 years and she has always paid in cash. We've never had a problem and over the years I became lax in giving reciepts. This past payment, she was making installments on and had paid me $75.00. We were discussing how much she still owed, and things got confused. Her last payment should have been $65, and when I told her what was due, she said no, I paid you $95.00 last time. We discussed it and she was adamant that she had paid the 95. I'm sure it was 75, but without a written record, no way to know for sure.
Even if it is just a small spiral bound notebook, always keep a record, that you both initial, or a reciept. $20 isn't a huge amount, but discrepancies can happen if you don't keep track.
wdmmom 06:12 AM 08-25-2011
I bought a receipt book from Walmart for about $5.00. Its a book of 200. I give a parent a receipt for every payment they make. I use the book to imput the payments in an Excel spreadsheet and total at year end and give them a full receipt.

Parents usually pay me in the morning. I will fill out their receipt and tack it to the board where they walk in so they can grab it at pick up.

I stopped filling out receipts when payment was handed to me to avoid a traffic jam at the door.
Meeko 06:13 AM 08-25-2011
Check out the Redleaf Press. I got my receipts from them. they are actually printed as child care receipts. I also use their calendar keeper which is great!
dEHmom 06:54 AM 08-25-2011
I buy the receipt book for dollarama, $1 for 50 Receipts. It says carbonless on it, but it duplicates it. I provide a receipt to each parent upon payment, stating chq # or Cash and for X date- X date of childcare. Then I provide a final printed receipt at the end of the year to show entire year of care amount pd.
Crazy8 11:05 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Check out the Redleaf Press. I got my receipts from them. they are actually printed as child care receipts. I also use their calendar keeper which is great!
I actually had one of those years ago and just pulled it out last night!! My last receipt I wrote from it was dated 2002, LOL!!!!
Tags:mmk - reports, receipts, receipts - online, record keeping
Reply Up