Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Debating Dropping SA This Fall
momofboys 08:07 PM 04-11-2012
Who has decided to drop SA from their clientele & how do you let parents know? I am at the place where I know that I prefer to have no SA. I have one family that I have had for @ 2 years & this fall their youngest will start all-day K. I love the family but would prefer to drop them - too much time & effort for me for not much $$$ coupled with the fact that even though they are PT they'd be in my home @ 3 1/2 - 4 hrs each day plus they would only need me 3 days/week. I don't know how to charge for that. I do know that for what I think it is worth they would likely not want to pay it. How do/did you inform parents you were not caring for SA?
littlemissmuffet 08:25 PM 04-11-2012
I used to have a rule that I would only take SAs who were enrolled in my program at least a year before they started school.... now I've made it so I don't do SA at all. I really don't think it's something you need to explain - just state that you're no longer caring for school agers - only focusing on full-timers and infant/toddler ages.
DaisyMamma 03:56 AM 04-12-2012
I may do the same thing.
I have a 6 year old boy that comes MWF and it's for less than 2 hours.
He has two younger sisters who attend a center full days MWF
I'm thinking he can either be paying for a full week slot or find other care. There's no reason I shouldn't be getting all 3 kids.
She's also pulling him for the summer and bringing him to the center with his sisters so she only has one stop

I think that the start of a new school year is a good time to make these changes and we don't really need a reason to say: 1. not taking SA any more. 2. only taking SA who came here full time before starting school. 3. Only taking school agers who have younger siblings attending. 4. Only taking SA who attend 5 days/week or pay for 5 days/week
pfund2233 06:16 AM 04-12-2012
I dropped all my SA this past fall. Best thing I ever did!!!! And I'm don't take SA. Once the ones I have age out the parents know they will have to find other arrangments for their child.
DaisyMamma 06:22 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
I dropped all my SA this past fall. Best thing I ever did!!!! And I'm don't take SA. Once the ones I have age out the parents know they will have to find other arrangments for their child.
Do you have problems when you have a younger sibling enrolled?
My concern is that, if the parent needs to make other arrangements for the older child, they might as well move both to a place that will take both.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by pfund2233:

I even took two past SA kids for one day over Spring break just to help a mom out and every minute of it reminded me that not taking SA'ers anymore was the right and best thing for me.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
Do you have problems when you have a younger sibling enrolled?
My concern is that, if the parent needs to make other arrangements for the older child, they might as well move both to a place that will take both.
I don't have any issues with it. It is no different than dropping your 3 yr old off at daycare and your SA off at school. Two different drop offs and pick ups already.

Plus every parent seems to understand how SA'ers have a tough time mixing with the younger ones (they must see it at home too) and most of my parents seem to think it is good to separate the kids and some have even said that the daily separation has helped them get along better when they are at home.

We also have many organizations and clubs and such for SA'ers in my community and once a kid gets to school all they seem to want to do is be with their friends so win-win for eveyone.

IME, most SA really don't want to be at daycare anyways.
momma2girls 09:14 AM 04-12-2012
I used to have before and after school children- ughh!!!
I just decided this yr. I would not do it any longer.
When school was delayed or cancelled, or they just didn't have it- I would have to watch them all, which was no fun at all!!!!
MrsB 09:24 AM 04-12-2012
When I switched from no School agers. The one family I had left, I said that I would be filling need to be filling it with a full time spot, so they had 2 weeks to decide if they would pay for the full time spot or find someone else They were fine with it and paid for the full time spot for both of them for 3 weeks while they waited for another provider to have the openings. They were totally fine with it. I run into her occasionally at the school and she always asks, did you change your mind about SA yet?

I always have parents ask, and I always say, its too difficult to devote my time to younger ones and older ones and keep them all entertained and safe.
Reply Up