Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Digital Versions of Handbooks for Parents
craftymissbeth 01:33 PM 07-18-2013
Has anyone tried providing parents with something like a CD with a PDF of their Parent Handbook on it rather than printing it all out for them?

Mine is becoming so long that the ink required to print it is ridiculous and so wasteful. I highly doubt my DCP's look at it often enough to justify printing it all out, KWIM? I guess this could be a problem for parents who don't have a computer or a way to download it. Maybe it could be an option... paper or digital?

If anyone has any experience in providing their DCP's with digital versions of their handbooks/paperwork I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Heidi 01:38 PM 07-18-2013
I put on my website. When a parent first contacts me, I direct them to my website.

In my contract, the parent signs that they have seen and read the parent handbook.

I no longer go through it item by item, because it's become so long it would take hours just to do that. I have a few important points to go over, and then ask them if they looked over the PHB on the website.

If you'd like access to mine, I could PM you a link to my website.
craftymissbeth 01:39 PM 07-18-2013
That would be awesome, Heidi.

Thank you!

I was just worried that it would be wrong in some way to not print the whole thing off for them.
wdmmom 01:44 PM 07-18-2013
I offer them a paper copy of the rules and regulations and go over it during the interview with them. They are welcome to 1 paper copy. The actual contract sets out payment amount, due dates and agreement that they agree and will adhere to all the rules and regulations set forth.

I keep the rules and regulations on my website and notify families of changes or add-ons as they occur.
daycare 02:02 PM 07-18-2013
I have mine on my website. It is password protected. When I meet with them, if I feel that I want to move on, I will give them a 1 page handout with information about our program, quick thank you for coming by, we know this is a hard decision, blah blah blah. It concludes with, I invite you to view our parent hand book, give the password and inform them that they need to read the PHB.

They are then instructed that once they have read it, they need to schedule a second appt where they come with the child for circle time. At the end, I will ask them are there any questions or concerns about our PHB?????
MarinaVanessa 04:51 PM 07-18-2013
I save mine as a PDF and I have it on my website for them to download and when they first call me I ask for their email and I email it to them so that they can review the paperwork. We do the interview and I go through my policies (I have my own copy). If they like what they see I will give them a hard copy of my Parent Packet which contains my contract and handbook. This way I don't hand out printed ones to everyone that comes out. Just to the ones that want to sign up.
Alethea 05:41 PM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I put on my website. When a parent first contacts me, I direct them to my website.

In my contract, the parent signs that they have seen and read the parent handbook.

I no longer go through it item by item, because it's become so long it would take hours just to do that. I have a few important points to go over, and then ask them if they looked over the PHB on the website.

I am a new daycare provider. I have printed many handouts to parents who do not sign their children up for care. May I please view your website to see how the forms look and the feel for electronic forms. I have tossed around this idea with my husband and he feel I should print the forms as a courtesy. It's really expensive! Also, today is my first day on this forum. Forgive me if I've overstepped.
Familycare71 06:38 PM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Alethea:
I am a new daycare provider. I have printed many handouts to parents who do not sign their children up for care. May I please view your website to see how the forms look and the feel for electronic forms. I have tossed around this idea with my husband and he feel I should print the forms as a courtesy. It's really expensive! Also, today is my first day on this forum. Forgive me if I've overstepped.
Welcome!!! I have been providing care for 14 yrs but I still hand out my info via paper... There is always stuff to learn and this is a great place to do it. I love the idea of e-mailing the info prior to the interview! I'm going to start doing that!
UnderAppreciated 09:29 PM 08-28-2015
In Maryland, Providers who choose to accept the government subsidy must be published with Maryland Excels. Recently they have changed some of the requirements so my publishing is expiring. Some of the new requirements include a section on positive discipline and children with disabilities. I have never stated anything specifically to those topics in my 7 page contract (which up until now also serves as my handbook) however, I do not discriminate against any child for any reason. I have been all over the forums trying to find something and of course I came across several discussions about a PHB. I am thinking that I need to seriously change my contract and create a PHB in addition to my contract. Would anyone care to share with me what their positive discipline strategies are and how they worded them in their PHB? This is additional information that I now need to include in my contract/handbook:

[Written policy for positive behavioral practices (Discipline Policy)]

[Information provided to families includes policies and practices for: health and safety; tuition/enrollment; and inclusion of children with disabilities or special health care needs.
**Family handbook, written agreement, or contract]

[Copy of a child’s IFSP/IEP is requested and provider works with the family and early intervention or special education service providers to support child and family outcomes.
**Enrollment/intake documentation and schedule of early intervention or special education services.]

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-S
spedmommy4 10:24 PM 08-28-2015
Originally Posted by UnderAppreciated:
In Maryland, Providers who choose to accept the government subsidy must be published with Maryland Excels. Recently they have changed some of the requirements so my publishing is expiring. Some of the new requirements include a section on positive discipline and children with disabilities. I have never stated anything specifically to those topics in my 7 page contract (which up until now also serves as my handbook) however, I do not discriminate against any child for any reason. I have been all over the forums trying to find something and of course I came across several discussions about a PHB. I am thinking that I need to seriously change my contract and create a PHB in addition to my contract. Would anyone care to share with me what their positive discipline strategies are and how they worded them in their PHB? This is additional information that I now need to include in my contract/handbook:

[Written policy for positive behavioral practices (Discipline Policy)]

[Information provided to families includes policies and practices for: health and safety; tuition/enrollment; and inclusion of children with disabilities or special health care needs.
**Family handbook, written agreement, or contract]

[Copy of a child’s IFSP/IEP is requested and provider works with the family and early intervention or special education service providers to support child and family outcomes.
**Enrollment/intake documentation and schedule of early intervention or special education services.]

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-S
My parent handbook is on my website under enrollment forms. I go over all of those topics in my handbook. Www.milestonesearlychildhood.com. You are welcome to take a look at all the forms if you need some examples.
serendipity 07:09 AM 08-29-2015
I'm a director for a major franchise and in the process of opening my own school. The franchise has just launched their digital handbook for parents and employees. We will be sending them via pdf and the parents will print and sign the last page of acknowledgment. I still do 'parent orientations' as it clears up the 'I didn't know' factor. I don't read them the handbook, I just go over the major bullet points like fees and illness policies.
Thriftylady 09:04 AM 08-29-2015
Mine is on my website. I do give a copy at the first interview, but I do not give any other paperwork until the enrollment fee is paid.
Indianadaycare 11:12 AM 08-29-2015
I used to print mine out and give it to them at the face to face interview, which happens after the phone interview. Mine though was almost 15 pages long (Can you tell I'm detail oriented?) and sometimes I felt like I was wasting ink and paper! What works better for me now is at the interview, I hit on the "bullet points" of what's in the handbook, and tell them I will email them the PDF of my policies. I do give them a handout of our contract and a few other papers that they take home with them. They sign the contract with the days and hours agreed on plus they sign a separate line in the contract that says "I have read, and agree to the policies in the policy handbook".
That way, it's up to them if they want to print out the handbook, but they do have a PDF of it in their email. That has worked much better for me. Also, when it was just printed out, I had a couple families "misplace" theirs. (Had they ever read it?)
MissAnn 12:34 PM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Mine is on my webpage too but I still gave them paper copies. Ugh. No more! I was going to have each sign MY copy to show they read them....hadn't thought about putting that simple statememt in their contract. Thanks!
Tags:parent handbook
Reply Up