Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Tell The Other Parents
Shell 04:23 PM 10-03-2013
I just received notice that one of my favorite dcg's and baby will be leaving in a month due to dcm needing more days, and I am full on the days she is looking for. Dcm was crying, and she said this was a very tough decision to make. I am devastated, because I really love the kids, and am uncertain as to what to tell the other families about them leaving.

As I mentioned in a previous post, everyone around here is preschool crazy-meaning they all believe their children must go to preschool in order to have an edge on education. I am surprised that many of the kids here have stayed on past their third birthdays, with all the pressure to enroll their kids in a preschool program. At the same time, my background is in education, having been a preschool/k teacher for many years, and I think parents factor this in to their decision making. However, now that dcg is leaving for a preschool, I am anticipating that others may start to consider this same move since someone else has now done this.

What would you tell the other parents? Would you be upfront that she is going to a preschool (it's really a daycare center, but it has a preschool room), or would you just keep it simple and say that they need more hours, etc and are better suited at a bigger daycare?
Blackcat31 04:27 PM 10-03-2013
I understand your worry but I wouldn't even discuss reasons a family leaves with other families, other than simply saying they no longer need your services.

I would consider that a confidentiality thing.
butterfly 04:29 PM 10-03-2013
I wouldn't say anything unless someone asked where Sally is at. Then I'd tell them they needed more hours than I had available.
butterfly 04:29 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I understand your worry but I wouldn't even discuss reasons a family leaves with other families, other than simply saying they no longer need your services.

I would consider that a confidentiality thing.
Good point!
EchoMom 04:29 PM 10-03-2013
When I first started I felt I needed to tell the other families everytime another family left and why. I realize now that was a mistake. It doesn't matter and it's none of their business. I wouldn't even mention it at all. They may not even notice the children gone and new ones in place, or they will and you can say whatever you want to say, but don't feel obligated to say anything or spin it, etc.

It's totally your decision, just don't say something because it's what you THINK you have to say because you really have no obligation to do so. What if the family left because they lost a job, got a divorce, didn't pay you, etc. It wouldn't be right to tell others that. I would just say it was personal, or I would say they went to preschool. But if you think saying they went to preschool would give others the notion they should leave too, then don't.

When a new kid starts and someone says oh who's this are they new, just say yep! No need to explain.
Shell 04:35 PM 10-03-2013
Great advice as always- thank you all for responding!
Leigh 05:46 PM 10-03-2013
Really, we have a responsibility to keep our clients' information confidential. All of it, even the mundane stuff that the client wouldn't mind you sharing.
Unregistered 04:54 PM 10-04-2013
Nothing, you don't owe explanations, kids come and go all the time. If they ask just say , yep, or its confidential ..
Unregistered 12:15 PM 10-07-2013
Agree it doesn't concern them and I never say anything unless someone asks, and I make sure to be vague...and change the subject.

I used to have a couple of real nosy parents that would ask, how many kids do you have or who is there today. I always say the same group, and quickly guide them out the door telling them to have a nice day. And the same dad would also ask who else is coming, and I would say never know till the end of the day.

Finally they get the hint, but a good way to let them know to mind their own business.
Shell 02:15 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Agree it doesn't concern them and I never say anything unless someone asks, and I make sure to be vague...and change the subject.

I used to have a couple of real nosy parents that would ask, how many kids do you have or who is there today. I always say the same group, and quickly guide them out the door telling them to have a nice day. And the same dad would also ask who else is coming, and I would say never know till the end of the day.

Finally they get the hint, but a good way to let them know to mind their own business.
Great advice!
Tags:early education, parent notification
Reply Up