Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Filled All 4 Infant Spots. Now I'm Full....
BrooklynM 08:03 PM 10-16-2013
So I just had my 4th infant sign up, she will be starting in December. My husband just said I should only take on 3 infants so I can fill 3 more spots with Toddlers, which for me would be $550 more per week since I charge $275 a week. What do you guys do? The oldest infant turns 2 in April, so I figure at that time I can take 2 more toddlers. Over $2000 more a month would sure be nice!
Michael 08:09 PM 10-16-2013
Congratulations. California does pay more.
BrooklynM 08:26 PM 10-16-2013
Thank you! It does pay more, but costs a lot more as I'm sure you know! Kindercare is down the street and they charge $1800 a month for infants! There is a high demand for quality infant care in my area. A lot of the other daycare owners that I have met in the area seem to just be doing it because they are already home watching their kids. That is fine, but they don't seem to be enjoying it. My kids are 11 and 14. I left a 6 figure job to do this because this is my dream. I love kids. Babies are like drugs to me. (Not in a creepy way!)I would still do this if I won the lotto!
Cradle2crayons 08:32 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Thank you! It does pay more, but costs a lot more as I'm sure you know! Kindercare is down the street and they charge $1800 a month for infants! There is a high demand for quality infant care in my area. A lot of the other daycare owners that I have met in the area seem to just be doing it because they are already home watching their kids. That is fine, but they don't seem to be enjoying it. My kids are 11 and 14. I left a 6 figure job to do this because this is my dream. I love kids. Babies are like drugs to me. (Not in a creepy way!)I would still do this if I won the lotto!
First of all.... congrats on being full!!!

Secondly, $1800 a MONTH?? Holy CRAP!!!! I don't make that much with FIVE daycare kids in an entire month.

Thirdly, I'm going to the corner to cry now.......
BrooklynM 08:58 PM 10-16-2013
Dont cry yet! You are in Mississippi! What do you pay per month for rent or a mortgage. I pay $2400 a month and that is a really good deal in my area! Does that make it better for you?
Cradle2crayons 09:00 PM 10-16-2013
Dont cry yet! You are in Mississippi! What do you pay per month for rent or a mortgage. I pay $2400 a month and that is a really good deal in my area! Does that make it better for you?
Lol not really. My mortgage is $1,000 a month and I live in the woods in very rural area.

I'm going back to cry now lol.
BrooklynM 09:16 PM 10-16-2013
I'm sorry! Move to California! It's amazing here!
SSWonders 04:54 AM 10-17-2013
Great that you are able to fill the spots with the children you are looking for. I have a couple of questions. What age is considered and infant where you are? Do you work alone and is where is outside access from the floor level where you work? Here we can only have 3 children under the age of 2 and at least one has to be 15 months and walking. 99.9% of the calls I get are for infant care. I'm used to operating with the 3 under the age of two. But, it seems it's been a long time since I've had a "good" small infant. So, with two young infants, for several months things are very stressful. Most of these babies turn into awesome toddlers. But until they do, it stinks. The last two infants I took on are now 16 months. One is just wonderful. The other is also a great baby, but she has a form of dwarfism and her hands on care is still very demanding. She is not expected to be able to walk for some time now, at least another year, so still has to be carried for everything. So for me the thought of a young infant right now is not appealing.
BrooklynM 08:03 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
Great that you are able to fill the spots with the children you are looking for. I have a couple of questions. What age is considered and infant where you are? Do you work alone and is where is outside access from the floor level where you work? Here we can only have 3 children under the age of 2 and at least one has to be 15 months and walking. 99.9% of the calls I get are for infant care. I'm used to operating with the 3 under the age of two. But, it seems it's been a long time since I've had a "good" small infant. So, with two young infants, for several months things are very stressful. Most of these babies turn into awesome toddlers. But until they do, it stinks. The last two infants I took on are now 16 months. One is just wonderful. The other is also a great baby, but she has a form of dwarfism and her hands on care is still very demanding. She is not expected to be able to walk for some time now, at least another year, so still has to be carried for everything. So for me the thought of a young infant right now is not appealing.
California considers an infant under 2, once they turn 2 they are a toddler. My house is all one story and I have a dedicated daycare room that has a sliding glass door out to a 25 x 20 covered patio which I have completely baby proofed. The new one I am getting is a newborn and the rest turn 2 next year in April, June and August.

It must be difficult that she has to be carried everywhere on one hand, because she is probably frustrated, on the other hand, sometimes, its nice that you have some control and don't have to worry about her taking off!
TwinKristi 10:32 AM 10-17-2013
I would probably prefer 4 infants to a mixed age group myself. I had 4 until Sep 30 when one boy left to stay home with mama and another boy turned 2. So now I have 2 infants, mine and another, which will change again in Dec because mine turns 2 and the other leaves at the end of the month for 2yr old Preschool.

I suggest getting this quad stroller! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012Z...110_SY165_QL70

I was able to find it much cheaper at Target.com but it doesn't look like it's there anymore.

And like OP said, in CA you can have either 4 infants, 3 infants and 3 over 2, or 8 kids with only 2 being infants and 2 being school aged.
SSWonders 06:42 AM 10-18-2013
California considers an infant under 2, once they turn 2 they are a toddler. My house is all one story and I have a dedicated daycare room that has a sliding glass door out to a 25 x 20 covered patio which I have completely baby proofed. The new one I am getting is a newborn and the rest turn 2 next year in April, June and August.

It must be difficult that she has to be carried everywhere on one hand, because she is probably frustrated, on the other hand, sometimes, its nice that you have some control and don't have to worry about her taking off!
Nice that you are on the first floor! Wish I were but that is not the case. One of the reasons I hesitate with taking another infant is that I have to get them all upstairs in the event of an emergency and to go outside. Pain in the patootie.

Your ages sound practically perfect! All I was picturing here was four 2 month olds and how in the world would you get through the stress of that day.

As for my little person, the yelling for everything she wants far outweighs the limited mobility, lol. She does get frustrated that she can't get at what she wants. She can roll all over the place but is not strong enough to get to a sitting position or to pull herself up to get things out of bins and such.

Anyway, sounds like a nice age group you've got. Glad you are full.
Familycare71 07:09 AM 10-18-2013
Where I am I can have two under two years of age. I cannot imagine having 4 infants!
spinnymarie 07:11 AM 10-18-2013
It'd be hard for me to pass up the extra $$ unless I really liked infants (which I don't, but I've never had only 4 infants before ). Personally, I really like preschoolers
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 10-18-2013
It's always fun to hear what other states consider infants and toddlers etc...

Here infants are only up until age 12 months. Once they hit 12 months, they are toddlers and once they turn 24 months/2 years they are considered preschool.

I am licensed for 14 kids although 4 of those need to be school age and since I don't enroll kids actually attending school, I have 12. 2 of which meet the age requirements for school but are delaying entry until next fall.

Our rules state no more than 4 under age 2 and no more than 3 infants (under 12 months).

I don't enroll infants anymore either but no way could I take 3 infants at one time! I'd never be able to spend any time with the other kids...

I also agree that infants are much more needier than they used to be....well, I don't think infants have actually changed but parents sure have and a majority of them raise their children differently compared to when I first opened.
TwinKristi 07:41 AM 10-18-2013
I would love to do an infants only childcare but my own baby is getting older now so he won't be an "infant" after Dec. :-( I could do 3 & 3 now but I'm lucky to even have 2 currently! I went from full and turning people away to 1-2 kids :-(
BrooklynM 10:15 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I would love to do an infants only childcare but my own baby is getting older now so he won't be an "infant" after Dec. :-( I could do 3 & 3 now but I'm lucky to even have 2 currently! I went from full and turning people away to 1-2 kids :-(
That's hard. You aren't too far from me.I'm in the east bay. Hopefully you can get some more kids soon! I joined a girls club that goes out once a month. They all have kids and the group has been growing and growing. On the invite list there are over 70 ladies, but typically only about 20 show up. We call it Cocktail Club. It's really fun and a great way to get business and referrals!
TwinKristi 10:55 AM 10-18-2013
Yeah I'm trying to enjoy the lull as I'm sure it will pick up eventually. I'm really hoping it does soon before I'm down to 1 kid 3 days a week and my after school guy.

I'm on CL, a local Facebook group, I have an ad on here for people who search online, our local R&R agency has me on their list, have handed out business cards but need to put something up at our Ped's office and church if they'll let me. I had my info on the Mother's Club and friends have referred me through there as well but I'm just at a loss. I've had a few calls and interviews but nothing is really panning out.
melilley 10:57 AM 10-18-2013
Awesome! Congratulations!
I also love babies and would take all babies if I could! Well as long as they don't cry ALL day and need to be held ALL day. I have a little guy here who started here at 6 mo., he is 14 mo. now and he cries ALL day and always has. It got better for a month or so, but now he's back at it and it drives me nuts!

It is interesting to see what each state considers infants to be and what the ratios are! Here, we can only have 4 under 30 months, but only 2 of the 4 can be 18 mo. and younger. I can only have 6 max. but have to include my 14 mo. old son so really I can only take 5 kids.
melilley 10:59 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Yeah I'm trying to enjoy the lull as I'm sure it will pick up eventually. I'm really hoping it does soon before I'm down to 1 kid 3 days a week and my after school guy.

I'm on CL, a local Facebook group, I have an ad on here for people who search online, our local R&R agency has me on their list, have handed out business cards but need to put something up at our Ped's office and church if they'll let me. I had my info on the Mother's Club and friends have referred me through there as well but I'm just at a loss. I've had a few calls and interviews but nothing is really panning out.
I think it's the time of year! I've had a spot open for 2 1/2 months now! Well, I can only take a child 30 mo. or older so that may be it. Anywho, hope you find kids soon!
TwinKristi 11:17 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I think it's the time of year! I've had a spot open for 2 1/2 months now! Well, I can only take a child 30 mo. or older so that may be it. Anywho, hope you find kids soon!
Thanks! I hope so too! It's only been this month really, I had 2 kids leave at the end of Sept and one boy turned 2 so it changed my ratios. I have 3 kids that count in my numbers, but 2 are SA and the other turns 2 in Dec. when another infant is supposed to be leaving. I have an interview with a lady for an infant starting in Dec. so we'll see how that goes. Last year I only had 1 kid at this time too so it could just be this time of year. I see lots of local providers having ads on CL too so we'll see. My neighbor is almost full again after being super slow over the summer but 2 of her DCMs are due in Dec and then they'll need care for their new babies too!
Tags:spot filled
Reply Up