Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Real (Non-Plastic) Plates Allowed?
missT 09:31 AM 02-24-2014
So I'm strongly considering using real plates in my center (future center technically) because not only is it economical but it also shows children that they are capable of using and trusted to use real plates like adults. My question is whether or not this is even allowed in centers. My center will be in Kansas. I can't seem to find info about it online. Any help is appreciated!
kendallina 09:33 AM 02-24-2014
I don't know about in Kansas, but when I worked in California we used them on occasion and I use them in Ohio.
snbauser 09:39 AM 02-24-2014
Don't know about Kansas but in NC you can as long as you have the ability to wash, rinse and sanitize them appropriately. This type of stuff usually falls under health and sanitation rules and not licensing rules.
missT 09:49 AM 02-24-2014
Oh I didn't think about it being under sanitation rules. That may be part of why I've been having trouble finding info. Thanks!
craftymissbeth 09:52 AM 02-24-2014
I have a home daycare in Kansas and there are no regulations for home daycares specifying what type of dinnerware we use... just as long as we use SOMETHING (besides a high chair tray).

Not sure about centers, though, or any local health department regulations.
NoMoreJuice! 09:54 AM 02-24-2014
I have a huge set of Corelle dishes that I use. Same for home use and daycare. Because they are not breakable, I can trust my husband with them also...

They are also super inexpensive and I've had mine for over a decade with absolutely no stains, chips, or any wear at all.
Margarete 10:52 AM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I have a huge set of Corelle dishes that I use. Same for home use and daycare. Because they are not breakable, I can trust my husband with them also...

They are also super inexpensive and I've had mine for over a decade with absolutely no stains, chips, or any wear at all.
This is what we use, so easy to clean, durable, lasts forever, and doesn't absorb oils like plastic... not completely unbreakable, but very break resistant. I haven't had a child break one yet. Corelle also makes gorilla glass for cell phones to give you an idea on strength.
Margarete 10:59 AM 02-24-2014
These are the Corelle dishes I most use for the children meals. Divided smaller plates, love them. I even have some of the larger adult sized divided plates.
I use additional bowls for meals or snacks as needed.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/tabl...s/1057557.html
SilverSabre25 11:05 AM 02-24-2014
Corelle will be your friend!

Also, you can look in Montessori resources for some of the child-sized "real" stuff.
slorey 11:42 AM 02-24-2014
I like Corelle, although I do not use it with my dck. Just my own family. It is very resistant to breaking, but be careful because when they do break, they shatter into a million glass slivers!
missT 12:31 PM 02-24-2014
Yeah I was definitely leaning towards corelle some they're more difficult to break. Thanks for the link, those are perfect!
Heidi 01:51 PM 02-24-2014
I went to a local resale shop and found a bunch of heavy diner (not dinner) plates. They are really hard to break!
JenNJ 02:12 PM 02-24-2014
I use Corelle for all the dc kids. Never plastic.
missT 09:34 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I went to a local resale shop and found a bunch of heavy diner (not dinner) plates. They are really hard to break!
Yeah I was thinking I might be able to do that too since that would be cheaper than brand new ones.
Reply Up