Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eewww Ewwww What Do I Do?
melilley 07:50 AM 05-14-2014
A few weeks ago ds's pinky nail was shut in a door. The door didn't shut all the way. His pinky nail was a little discolored, but looked fine.
Fast forward to today, I noticed that his nail is falling off! It's still attached to the base of the nail bed, but the rest is totally off and I don't see a nail underneath.

What do I do? Leave it until it falls off? Cut it as close to the base as I can? He keeps trying to pull it off so I put a band aid on it and he does not like it at all. (He is 1.5 and has never had to wear a band aid).

I have never seen this before. I know it happens I just have never seen it and it's not pleasant.
drseuss 07:51 AM 05-14-2014
Cut as close to the base as you can, then cover it with a band aid. The rest will fall off eventually, but until then, you don't want it getting ripped off somehow.
NightOwl 07:54 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
Cut as close to the base as you can, then cover it with a band aid. The rest will fall off eventually, but until then, you don't want it getting ripped off somehow.
Yes, this. If it gets ripped off, it will bleed like hell!
melilley 08:04 AM 05-14-2014
Thanks ladies, that's what I figured. I'm getting chills just thinking about cutting it! Usually things like this don't bother me, I don't know why this is!
Shell 08:09 AM 05-14-2014
Yep, I have a bit of experience with this and agree with what others said. If it falls off on its own, it doesn't hurt. If it rips off - holy he** does it hurt! I used to babysit for a hand surgeon's kids, he always said to let it air out when possible and a new nail will be in in 3 to 4 months.
SilverSabre25 08:45 AM 05-14-2014
cut it and let it go. i wouldn't even cover with a band aid.
Jack Sprat 11:41 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
cut it and let it go. i wouldn't even cover with a band aid.
DD has smashed her fingers multiple times in our screen door. We just cut it,and do the same. She calls them her bum nails.
butterfly 11:43 AM 05-14-2014
yucky, my stomach is churning just thinking about it. There is a reason I'm not a doctor.

TigerLily 11:46 AM 05-14-2014
Keep an eye on it, that happened to DD when she was 1 and it got infected Kind of impossible to make them stay out of the dirt this time of year!
mountainside13 02:39 PM 05-14-2014
I would leave it for mom and dad. When I worked in a center we were allowed to clip nails or remove splinters. We had to call the parents to do it.
wdmmom 02:49 PM 05-14-2014
Cut it as low as possible and let nature take its course. Keep the nail bed as clean and as dry as possible until the new nail has grown in.
melilley 03:01 PM 05-14-2014
Well I cut it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Thanks for the advice!
Tags:finger nail
Reply Up