Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Feelings were Hurt by DCD
Crazy Baby 01:51 PM 10-19-2015
Dad made a comment to me implying that my job is easy and that is isn't really a job. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Now I know how he really feels about my purpose.

Do you all every get people who seem to not respect what you are doing as a legitimate job?

I work hard and I have to deal with your "spirited" child almost more than you do dad! Thank you!
midaycare 02:11 PM 10-19-2015
I've had people say things before, but I work harder now than I did in the office or schools.

Every job has crap you have to deal with. This is just one of those things.
Josiegirl 02:12 PM 10-19-2015
Dcd doesn't have a clue, that's all. Usually people that make those types of comments don't know what running a daycare consists of. They have this unrealistic old-fashioned idea we're the baby-sitter and all we do is play, watch movies all day, etc. Try not to let it get to you.

It's sad really that people make judgements about other people's work when they don't see them in action. Tell dcd to watch a 'Calgon take me away' commercial about 100 times and that's your day.
KiddieCahoots 02:28 PM 10-19-2015
As hurtful as that can be, try not to take it personally.
Dcd is still sending his child to be in your care, and paying you. That speaks more volume than his ignorant comment.
Maggie 02:59 PM 10-19-2015
I've had so many people over the years tell me how lucky I was to have a job where I get to play all day. It used to make me mad and I'd get defensive now I just offer them the information on how to start their own daycare.
Thriftylady 03:06 PM 10-19-2015
I would try not to be offended. I agree with the others, people just don't get it. People think we sit around on the sofa and watch kids play all day. It is funny because I was thinking of it today while doing my "housewife" chores how many people think being a "housewife" or a SAHM is just a barrel of monkeys! Truth is until people do what we do, and do it as well as we do, they don't get it.
sharlan 03:10 PM 10-19-2015
You guys are forgetting the sofa, soap operas, and chocolate bon bins.
Rockgirl 03:37 PM 10-19-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Lol, right!

Seriously, the people that make those comments wouldn't last a day.
LittleTikes 04:50 PM 10-19-2015
I ran into a former dcm, during Parents Night at our kids' school and she said, "Tell me you're not still watching kids." (I am.) It hurt my feelings, but I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? It's not like I'm wasting my degree in dentistry!
laundrymom 05:49 PM 10-19-2015
Originally Posted by LittleTikes:
I ran into a former dcm, during Parents Night at our kids' school and she said, "Tell me you're not still watching kids." (I am.) It hurt my feelings, but I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? It's not like I'm wasting my degree in dentistry!
"Why? Did I not do a good job"?????
Then do the stare
"I make too good of money to wear real clothes every day. Sorry. "
nannyde 06:10 PM 10-19-2015
"It is easy. You should try it. The kids are delightful. The babies never cry. They eat well, play well, and sleep like babies at nap. The parents... well I thank the good Lord every day for them. They pay on time. Bring and pick up their kids on time. They NEVER bring them sick. They ALWAYS keep them home when they are sick. They dress them beautifully in clothing that fits and is easy for me. The kids are always perfectly clean.

It isn't really a job... it's a pleasure! You should quit your job and get a piece of my perfect job!"
laundrymom 06:44 PM 10-19-2015
I just fell for NannyDe!!
Originally Posted by nannyde:
"It is easy. You should try it. The kids are delightful. The babies never cry. They eat well, play well, and sleep like babies at nap. The parents... well I thank the good Lord every day for them. They pay on time. Bring and pick up their kids on time. They NEVER bring them sick. They ALWAYS keep them home when they are sick. They dress them beautifully in clothing that fits and is easy for me. The kids are always perfectly clean.

It isn't really a job... it's a pleasure! You should quit your job and get a piece of my perfect job!"

spedmommy4 09:05 PM 10-19-2015
Right!?! I get the funny looks a lot, especially since I have a master's degree and a teaching license. My favorite question is, "Why don't you work for a school district?"

Anyway, I've learned to ignore it. I did not enjoy working for the school district. I make more doing this and the kids who need me (for SPED services) make more progress in a shorter amount of time. The way I see it, as long as I'm happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Sunshine74 09:25 PM 10-19-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Right!?! I get the funny looks a lot, especially since I have a master's degree and a teaching license. My favorite question is, "Why don't you work for a school district?"

Anyway, I've learned to ignore it. I did not enjoy working for the school district. I make more doing this and the kids who need me (for SPED services) make more progress in a shorter amount of time. The way I see it, as long as I'm happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
I got that reaction from several classmates and even a professor when I was in college for my early childhood degree. I wish I was a little more outspoken, because there are a lot of things I could have said.
DaveA 03:56 AM 10-20-2015
A lot of people don't get the job. My wife didn't really get it even until she subbed for me a few times, and she was supportive the whole way. I don't let it get to me. Plus people say stupid stuff- I'm a shining example of that

Regardless- if DCPs are happy, you're making money, and enjoying yourself it's all good.
MissAnn 04:28 AM 10-20-2015
Ugh......when they complain about how many hours THEY work!!!!! I think.....oh, you work part time compared to my hours!
Laurel 04:44 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Dad made a comment to me implying that my job is easy and that is isn't really a job. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Now I know how he really feels about my purpose.

Do you all every get people who seem to not respect what you are doing as a legitimate job?

I work hard and I have to deal with your "spirited" child almost more than you do dad! Thank you!
Once when someone hinted that my business wasn't really a business I said "Well the IRS certainly considers it one." That pretty much shut him up.

I've found that most people say the opposite though. I've had many people say "I could never do what you do."

He's clueless, don't mind him.
Laurel 04:46 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:

That is a great comeback!
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 10-20-2015
It rarely if ever, bothers me.

It's all about perception. If DCD thinks you have an easy job than kudos to you for doing it so well that it "appears" easy to him.

The grass is always greener on the other side if you've never been on the other side.

The last time I heard a comment about how easy my job is, I simply replied "Well, it can't be that easy since you only work part time but your child is here full time."

spedmommy4 06:59 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It rarely if ever, bothers me.

It's all about perception. If DCD thinks you have an easy job than kudos to you for doing it so well that it "appears" easy to him.

The grass is always greener on the other side if you've never been on the other side.

The last time I heard a comment about how easy my job is, I simply replied "Well, it can't be that easy since you only work part time but your child is here full time."
Lol BC. I have wanted to say something along those lines a few times. I might be too nice.
MarinaVanessa 08:50 AM 10-20-2015
I had this happen a couple of times ... one time stands out.

DCM says something like : "I envy you, you have it so easy and get to play all day. I wish I could do this [refering to daycare] and I didn't have to work"
ME: raised my eyebrows, 2 second pause and "BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH" I literally broke out laughing almost to the point of tears
My husband walks in and asks what was so funny
ME: "She said I have it easy and she wishes she didn't have to work like me" chuckling
DH: "BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" looks at her and says "You have NO idea" and walks away still laughing

She had a "What just happened" look on her face but I think she "got it', watching kids isn't the most difficult job in the world but it sure as hell isn't the easiest either
Ariana 10:45 AM 10-20-2015
I had a mom continually tell me during the interview that I had her "dream job" over and over and then in another breath said something like "i need to go back to work so I can use my brain". Yeah I never use my brain. Thanks mom.

I ended up terming the child because she was a mess so now I understand that mom actually wasn't using her brain at home
littletots 01:03 PM 10-20-2015
I started doing a weekly recap 1yr ago. Includes planner theme, pictures, description. My dcp all said they now realize how much i do with dck. Maybe your dcd just doesn't realize? Our stresser are different then working against deadlines, budgets, sales goals.
AmyLeigh 03:34 PM 10-20-2015
Anyone who is good at their job makes it look easy.
Shell 03:55 PM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I haven't been on here in a while, but this gave me a good laugh
mamamanda 04:26 AM 10-21-2015
My family are the ones who've given me the most issue with this. I always get the, "You are so intelligent. Why are you doing something so stressful when you could make a lot of money doing something else?" "You're called to do bigger things..." etc. I just reply with, "What could be bigger than caring for the next generation?" Or "Any job can be stressful, but I get to have the things that really matter to me. I spend time with my own kids, am home to prepare meals for my family, and am training the next generation to be kind and respectful individuals who care about something more than themselves." It frustrates me, but I know my reasons are valid so I let it go. Most of the time
Ariana 10:14 AM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
My family are the ones who've given me the most issue with this. I always get the, "You are so intelligent. Why are you doing something so stressful when you could make a lot of money doing something else?" "You're called to do bigger things..." etc. I just reply with, "What could be bigger than caring for the next generation?" Or "Any job can be stressful, but I get to have the things that really matter to me. I spend time with my own kids, am home to prepare meals for my family, and am training the next generation to be kind and respectful individuals who care about something more than themselves." It frustrates me, but I know my reasons are valid so I let it go. Most of the time
I know!!! since when is taking care of children not good enough?!! it's our stupid society that says anything that is considered "womans work" is demeaning. Nothing could be more important than what we do!!
Unregistered 12:08 PM 10-21-2015
When I first started hearing that yes I would get kinda mad and correct them and explain what I really do.now Im just use to it, I think its funny because the ones who barely work bring kids full time why? Cause they cant handle it. I feel like saying would u like to take over for a day.im sure most people would go crazy within a couple hours.I think daycare is more than a real job , with more work than regular job.
Reply Up