Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Question on Square Footage
janell999 06:30 AM 06-01-2019
question about the required square footage of inside space. does that space have to be in one spot or can it be in two different areas? the space I have for the playroom is about 220 sq.ft but there is an area by the kitchen I want to use for an art area that is about 11x10. can I count those two spaces together? If i just count the 220 sq ft area I would only be able to be licensed for like 6 kids instead of 8. we have a tri-level house so the playroom is in the basement and then up 4 steps to the bathroom and kitchen dining room and that's where the little art project and eating area would be.
I can't find any info about splitting up the space to get the required 280 in the Wisconsin DCF 250 handbook.
Michael 10:45 AM 06-01-2019
Here is a good post that answers that question: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46968

Originally Posted by Heidi:
The space you use for other activities, such as art, eating, etc, should also be counted. So, you can't close off that tiny room and make all the children stay in there all day. But, you can use that as the main toy room, and then have other activities nearby, such as in the dining room or living room (a reading nook, perhaps?).
Here are some other threads that refer to square footage. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...square+footage

I also found some more information here: https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/fil...ec4yk-09pp.pdf

There is no minimum square foot requirement for any classroom.
- For safety purposes, the WDOC specifies a maximum of 20 sq.ft. per occupant of open floor space, assuming a self-contained classroom with one exit. This standard does not suggest this is the optimal room size for an education program.
- In considering space for educational programming, a district may look for guidance to the Head Start and child care requirement of no less than 35 square feet of usable floor space for each child.
janell999 11:26 AM 06-01-2019
Thank you. that was helpful!
Cat Herder 09:49 AM 06-02-2019
Here the space requirement must be "usable space" meaning they deduct any space that has furniture on it. They literally measure the room, measure the furniture and deduct it from the over-all space percentage per child. 35 square feet of usable space, per child, is the minimum here. Also, infants must be separated by a physical barrier.
janell999 08:02 AM 06-04-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Here the space requirement must be "usable space" meaning they deduct any space that has furniture on it. They literally measure the room, measure the furniture and deduct it from the over-all space percentage per child. 35 square feet of usable space, per child, is the minimum here. Also, infants must be separated by a physical barrier.
yes, it's the same here. But i was wondering if it was specific to 1 one or could i split the square footage between 2 rooms. so maybe 200 square feet in the play room and 100 square feet in another room for the art area and together that could be the required 280 sq ft. but i'm guessing it has to be 280 in just ONE room because I can't find any info that says differently.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 06-04-2019
Here is an article about how to measure your home's space by Tom Copeland

http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-measure-your-home
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 06-04-2019
Originally Posted by janell999:
yes, it's the same here. But i was wondering if it was specific to 1 one or could i split the square footage between 2 rooms. so maybe 200 square feet in the play room and 100 square feet in another room for the art area and together that could be the required 280 sq ft. but i'm guessing it has to be 280 in just ONE room because I can't find any info that says differently.
Mine does not come right out and say it must be in one room, but it makes it clear any room that is counted in the space must meet all regs for the playroom. Nothing labeled "keep out of reach of kids", no cords/blinds, all furniture must be mounted to the wall, etc. It makes it nearly impossible to use extra rooms.
Pandaluver21 07:04 PM 06-04-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My licensor measured my kitchen for "usable space" ... she measured all the way over the counter... no calculations were made :P
Tags:space percent, space requirements, square footage
Reply Up