Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New To Daycare Forum- Home Provider: Should I term?
Daycaremomof2 06:53 AM 10-12-2011
Hi everyone!

I am new to the daycare forum, and started an in home daycare in April. I'm sure a lot of what I have to learn is from being a newbie, but I will go ahead and write down a lot of questions that I have, and hopefully I will get some answers

I feel like I am burned out already, and I don't know if it is because of the kids I watch or if daycare is not for me.

The 2 year old twins that I watch bite, scream, hit, take toys, get up in the middle of naps and won't go down easily, are picky with what they eat. I am concerned that they may also need speech therapy, as they can't say more than 2-3 words together at a time, and most of the time I can't understand them at all. When my child was 1, she talked better than they do now. They take all of the cushions off of my couch all the time throughout the day, and directly defy me and say NO (the 1 word they clearly say). I think that the screaming is what gets to me the most. They just scream all the time, anytime they dislike something. I don't have a problem with my own children or the other child I watch.

My other complaint is that the parents have an hour "window" when they drop off the kids. Sometimes even later, and it is hard for me to get my day started until they arrive. Mom and Dad each do drop off differently and inconsistently, and after a year, they still sometimes cry to get mom and dad to linger. The parents are so concerned with instilling empathy in their children that it seems like there is no discipline.

I can't term them because I really need the income. I would be losing 2 sources of revenue, and I don't have any backups yet. For some reason it is really slow here- but all I do is post on craigslist- I don't know how else to market yet. The parents are pretty good too- they pay mostly on time or early. They do want me to text them updates and pictures all day- which is pretty annoying but I don't really mind bc I know it probably makes their day.

What can I do to get these non-verbal kids under control?
Michael 02:18 PM 10-12-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
dave4him 06:24 PM 10-12-2011
Welcome to the forum newbie I havent started my daycare yet so i am looking for a lot of help myself. For the last year ive just had my twins are are one and my 4 year old. Its crazy but i do have to say you obviously care a lot about the ones you watch which already makes you good for the job at hand. Different ages and different kids can be trouble. Every child develops in their own way so dont compare language skills. Keep on eye on them and work on them daily. My girl twin for a while wouldnt even attempt to move anyway or crawl while my boy is walking everywhere. Its all different with them. Anyhow not sure about the other issues so ill wait for a more experienced responder
Tags:age appropriate behavior, burnt out, child care courses, enforcing policies - consistency, ohio, policies, terminate, training
Reply Up