Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After 11 Years of Childcare
Malmom 07:54 AM 09-07-2015
It finally happened. A parent showed up today to drop off. On Labor Day.

We had a party last night and we didn't even get to bed until 1:30. My daughter woke me up at 9:30 telling me a kid was here. My husband rolled out of bed and said "I've got this."

He came back a few minutes later, saying that the mom told him I didn't let them know I was off. I mentioned it to grandma, who picked him up Friday- I said "see you Tuesday! Enjoy the long weekend!" Not to mention, they have a copy of my contract that lists my days off. They've been with me since February, so long enough to know that I'm closed on major Holidays. And the kicker?? The mom, who tried to drop him off, doesn't even work!
BumbleBee 08:30 AM 09-07-2015
Had one do this to me this morning too. 8am, still sleeping. Banged on the door, called my house phone as I stumbled to the door. I didn't even open the door, just pointed to the sign on the door that said "CLOSED ON SEPTEMBER 7th 2015 FOR LABOR DAY" then walked away.
CalCare 09:49 AM 09-07-2015
I think it's an innocent mistake. I have driven my son to school on a closed day by mistake. It was lame. I knew something weird was going on as I approached the trafficless street and turned into the nearly empty parking lot I wasn't working at the time so it was just as much a pita to go through the 'hurry up, get dressed, eat your breakfast, get in the car, etc, etc," all for nothing haha.. Sucks that they had to inconvenience you (unnecessary early wake up booooo)with their mistake, but I wouldn't read too much into it. I mean I don't think it means they are thoughtless, selfish, ungrateful for your services etc... Just a mistake. And I have a school calendar, but I can't imagine double checking it daily in case the day is a holiday that I hadn't realized. Labor day isn't as apparent to many people as something like 4th of July. I'm home with my kids- if it wasn't for Facebook and another parent mentioning being off Monday, I probably wouldn't have noticed it was a holiday myself. Probably the fact that she doesn't work is what contributed to her not realizing.
midaycare 10:48 AM 09-07-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I think it's an innocent mistake. I have driven my son to school on a closed day by mistake. It was lame. I knew something weird was going on as I approached the trafficless street and turned into the nearly empty parking lot I wasn't working at the time so it was just as much a pita to go through the 'hurry up, get dressed, eat your breakfast, get in the car, etc, etc," all for nothing haha.. Sucks that they had to inconvenience you (unnecessary early wake up booooo)with their mistake, but I wouldn't read too much into it. I mean I don't think it means they are thoughtless, selfish, ungrateful for your services etc... Just a mistake. And I have a school calendar, but I can't imagine double checking it daily in case the day is a holiday that I hadn't realized. Labor day isn't as apparent to many people as something like 4th of July. I'm home with my kids- if it wasn't for Facebook and another parent mentioning being off Monday, I probably wouldn't have noticed it was a holiday myself. Probably the fact that she doesn't work is what contributed to her not realizing.
I agree with this! When I was a sahm, I always forgot what day it was.
Malmom 10:54 AM 09-07-2015

Dad works for a bank. They know what day it is. LOL
NoMoreJuice! 10:55 AM 09-07-2015
I was just joking with my husband last night about this. I've never had a parent show up accidentally in the almost seven years I've been doing this! I told him I was probably overdue.

I second the BOOO to you having to wake up on a day off! But accidents happen I suppose.
Unregistered 12:06 PM 09-07-2015
I disagree.
Its thoughtless and disrespectful to the provider if the provider goes through the trouble of printing up a yearly calendar and other reminder notices. And especially disrespectful to the provider that gets woken up.
I dont care if you are a working parent or stay at home parent but if you can't remember what day of the week it is or if it's a holiday or not I'd probably be a little concerned about your well being.
It seems too many important things now days are overlooked and given little thought with the excuse that parents are simply busy.
I think it's just another sad example of how thoughtless society has become.
I bet not a single one of these parents have accidentally showed up at their jobs on their day off.
I also don't know many providers that dont give multiple written and verbal reminders so showing up to drop your kid off at a providers home when you were told they were closed IS careless, thoughtless, disrespectful and rude.
Rockgirl 12:49 PM 09-07-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I disagree.
Its thoughtless and disrespectful to the provider if the provider goes through the trouble of printing up a yearly calendar and other reminder notices. And especially disrespectful to the provider that gets woken up.
I dont care if you are a working parent or stay at home parent but if you can't remember what day of the week it is or if it's a holiday or not I'd probably be a little concerned about your well being.
It seems too many important things now days are overlooked and given little thought with the excuse that parents are simply busy.
I think it's just another sad example of how thoughtless society has become.
I bet not a single one of these parents have accidentally showed up at their jobs on their day off.
I also don't know many providers that dont give multiple written and verbal reminders so showing up to drop your kid off at a providers home when you were told they were closed IS careless, thoughtless, disrespectful and rude.
This is my thought as well!
Controlled Chaos 03:42 PM 09-07-2015
I haven't had it happen, but always triple check the front door is locked and put a sign in the front window just in case Hope everyone is having a most lovely Labor Day! I spent the day stressing my husband out about all the new things I want to do to the yard "what honey? Creating 4 new outdoor centers is expensive and will take all your free time?!?!" but then when I backed down to just wanting two very "small" things done to add only 2 new centers...he is super happy to help. Winning!
midaycare 04:42 PM 09-07-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I haven't had it happen, but always triple check the front door is locked and put a sign in the front window just in case Hope everyone is having a most lovely Labor Day! I spent the day stressing my husband out about all the new things I want to do to the yard "what honey? Creating 4 new outdoor centers is expensive and will take all your free time?!?!" but then when I backed down to just wanting two very "small" things done to add only 2 new centers...he is super happy to help. Winning!
I will have to remember that with the hubby! Brilliant!
Play Care 03:05 AM 09-08-2015
On one hand I want to give the parent the benefit of the doubt.

Buuut, in all my time providing care I've had two separate clients do this to me, on *multiple* occasions.

Even though I have a monthly newsletter, AND I post a large sign on the front door AND I verbally remind parents.

Not coincidentally I had a whole host of other issues with these clients.

So, is it a one time thing and mom is embarrassed and apologetic? Or is this just one more thing that this parent has done?

On a side note, the one client who did this on a fairly regular basis to me just left in June. It was so nice to have my summer vacation, and other days off and not worry about a parent showing up
DaveA 04:14 AM 09-08-2015
Ouch- been there. I haven't had one show up in years but had a few times of parents showing up to drop off or pick up a child when I was closed on non-holiday closings (birthday, anniversary, or when closed for a show). I guess it would depend on the DCPs. I have one set (done it twice) who are totally scatterbrained and have came to pick up forgetting DCK was at or going to grandmas. At the time I found it funny. Them I make sure to give an "extra" extra reminder to. I have another DCM who isn't good at planning ahead and would be the type to try to guilt me into watching him "just a bit till I find someone else for the day". If she showed up I would probably rip her a new one.
Meeko 06:03 AM 09-08-2015
I've had past parents who "forgot" I was closed. I didn't buy it. I am sure they were hoping I would just take the child because they were here. Wrong!
Ariana 12:44 PM 09-08-2015
We got this all the time at the center where I used to work! My supervisor would post big bolded posters on the door and still a parent or two would show up!
Febby 04:32 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
We got this all the time at the center where I used to work! My supervisor would post big bolded posters on the door and still a parent or two would show up!
My center always posts it on the front door and on every classroom door. Plus it's in the monthly newsletter and parent handbook. Parents still show up. Every holiday. Every year.

Some will show up and then call our emergency number to ask why the building is locked!
Former Teacher 06:25 PM 09-08-2015
I remember once at my old center, this father was FURIOUS that we were closed (and claimed we didn't tell him) on Thanksgiving!!! Even his wife who came later to apologize (he never did) said to him really?!?! How many businesses are open on Thanksgiving?!?

Because of him, in the beginning of November we made a holiday schedule and listed our hours and the days were closed etc. We also had the parents sign and gave them a copy.

Believe it or not, we had another father say he didn't get one. I happily showed him the copy HE himself signed.
Tags:closed for the holidays, holidays - off, labor day, parents - are clueless
Reply Up