Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Know If It's Time to Move On?
Thebabyteacher 06:50 PM 01-04-2017
I have been employed as an Infant teacher for a few years now. The Director who hired me was basically just looking for bodies when she took me on. I was attending college at the time for Early Education, so I met the basic criteria.

I have adult attention deficit disorder, and I haven't been able to complete my degree or even obtain a CDA as yet. I do know and understand the curriculum and engage my children in activities to further their learning experiences. I have never been told I do badly, nor have I ever been written up for poor performance. The kids and parents adore me - I still get Thank You cards from parents of children I had 3 years ago!

However, my classroom is painfully different as far as the displays on the evidence of learning events; and I am always coming in early/staying late, taking work home just trying to keep up appearances. I often hear co-workers I greatly admire gossip about other employees who lack college degrees, and my heart sinks knowing they probably think the same of me.

Maybe it's just a self esteem issue, but as I'm sitting here frustrated because I can't draw a triangle(!) correctly and to size, I wonder if I'm doing the kids I work with a disservice. Granted they're only 12-18 months old, but if they deserve better, isn't the responsible thing to do is to leave?

My hesitation is ridiculously selfish. This is the only job I have ever been able to say I truly like/love. In addition, I need surgery on both hands, so changing jobs would mean having to wait at least a year or more for insurance and FMLA purposes.

I feel like I'm working really hard at being a better teacher. I am online hours every night trying to learn how to resolve current classroom issues or coming up with projects and experiments related to the monthly theme.

If only I could show my boss and coworkers how hard I really do work at this!
CalCare 01:47 AM 01-05-2017
Hi there! I'm sorry you are in a place of doubt and frustration right now. What I think, when I read your post, is ... A couple of things. One is: what if you did take just one class at a time and see how it goes. It sounds like you want to pursue an education in ECE and one class is a great start. Second: I wonder if what you are trying so hard to achieve is really what is best for the children. What I mean by that is you mention curriculum and displays on learning events, but perhaps the curriculum that you THINK your coworkers (and director) value is not really what they are hoping you would provide. Obviously I don't know what your curriculum or activities look like. But it kind of sounds like (since you mentioned infant and toddler age) that it might not be developmentally appropriate. Maybe it isn't right for the stage of development that your kids are in. Normally for infants and toddlers 12-18 months, the curriculum is based on caregiving interactions. The times when you are feeding and diapering the children as well as creating an environment for them where they can explore physically (climbing, picking things up and moving them, seeing cause and effect with items they play with, etc).
Also, I feel it's worth mentioning, that when you say you read and read online to try to learn about classroom management and such... Well, a lot of nonsense information can be found online. Anyone who thinks they have a good idea can preach it as if it's the gold standard in child rearing! If you aren't already doing so, I would just be sure you are getting ECE tips from websites like the NAEYC or other reputable sources. I can't think of any respected source in ECE that believes infants ages 12-18 months should be taught about triangles. I could be wrong. But, hey, I'm just a random person online claiming to know ECE. Look for verifiable sources I hope this is helpful!
Pestle 08:17 AM 01-05-2017
Do not leave right now.

If you are providing safe, nurturing care to these kids, you are what they need. Every care provider has flaws and failings, and you're more mindful of your own because you know where they come from. They also look enormous to you because you're so mindful of them; the people around you probably see a few little quirks and haven't even noticed much of what bothers you about yourself. As far as the gossip goes, I solemnly swear that you will never ever ever find a job without snobby gossipy coworkers unless it's a job with no coworkers at all.

Adults with ADHD are their own worst critics. I have seen my husband sabotage his career over and over because of his ADHD. If you're like my husband, you may sometimes want to punish yourself or remove some of the benefits and rewards from your life because you don't feel like you've genuinely worked for them. Everybody skates by on luck and mercy, and some people need it more than others. Don't turn it down when you've got it.

Or you might get fidgety and resentful because your career isn't everything you want or you aren't getting promoted rapidly--but I don't see that in your post, so maybe that's just my husband. He's only now starting to understand that quitting his job and finding a new one every time he gets frustrated at his low income will keep him at a low income with minimal benefits forever.

I read a piece recently by someone who struggles with a debilitating set of illnesses. She said that some days she's fine, and others she's completely unable to function, and that because she has those good days, she feels guilty and fake when she sees people who are constantly suffering a chronic illness. She has trouble respecting herself because she's on the cusp of functioning normally, so she feels like she's to blame for those bad days.

You can hyperfocus, which makes you good at doing research. I bet the ADHD makes it hard to turn that research into new habits. But that hyperfocus makes you a great candidate for online self-led courses!
MarinaVanessa 09:47 AM 01-05-2017
This is an opportunity! What a great example of someone that has challenges yet still functions fully in a field that they love! I have ADD and my DD has ADHD (no longer called this, I know) and I've been able to manage learning some techniques to help me stay on task and my DD enjoys hearing when people have what she has and is still successful.

I bet you're creative, energetic, personable, friendly and generally a good person. A lot of the time we're all harder on ourselves than anyone else will ever be, don't forget to love yourself too
Heart12 10:05 AM 01-05-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This is an opportunity! What a great example of someone that has challenges yet still functions fully in a field that they love!

I bet you're creative, energetic, personable, friendly and generally a good person. A lot of the time we're all harder on ourselves than anyone else will ever be, don't forget to love yourself too
THIS!!! Ps. I cant draw a triangle correctly either. Print a template & cut yourself some slack!
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 01-05-2017
What are you doing to treat your ADD?
daycare 11:36 AM 01-05-2017
I don't have a degree and I work with others that have many degrees. One girl has 6 degrees and is a nuclear scientist....It's not always what you know or what you can do, it's how you teach what you do know.

Use your limits as an opportunity to teach. Years ago I can not read english too well or write it too well either. I always used it to my advantage. Who can help me read this word....... Especially words that I could not say well.

do not let others accomplishments in one field detour you. I am certain you have many accomplishments in many fields. Focus on what you do well instead of what you don't. NO ONE is perfect. we can all learn something from each other.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 01-05-2017
Originally Posted by Thebabyteacher:
I have been employed as an Infant teacher for a few years now. The Director who hired me was basically just looking for bodies when she took me on. I was attending college at the time for Early Education, so I met the basic criteria.

I have adult attention deficit disorder, and I haven't been able to complete my degree or even obtain a CDA as yet. I do know and understand the curriculum and engage my children in activities to further their learning experiences. I have never been told I do badly, nor have I ever been written up for poor performance. The kids and parents adore me - I still get Thank You cards from parents of children I had 3 years ago!

However, my classroom is painfully different as far as the displays on the evidence of learning events; and I am always coming in early/staying late, taking work home just trying to keep up appearances. I often hear co-workers I greatly admire gossip about other employees who lack college degrees, and my heart sinks knowing they probably think the same of me.

Maybe it's just a self esteem issue, but as I'm sitting here frustrated because I can't draw a triangle(!) correctly and to size, I wonder if I'm doing the kids I work with a disservice. Granted they're only 12-18 months old, but if they deserve better, isn't the responsible thing to do is to leave?

My hesitation is ridiculously selfish. This is the only job I have ever been able to say I truly like/love. In addition, I need surgery on both hands, so changing jobs would mean having to wait at least a year or more for insurance and FMLA purposes.

I feel like I'm working really hard at being a better teacher. I am online hours every night trying to learn how to resolve current classroom issues or coming up with projects and experiments related to the monthly theme.

If only I could show my boss and coworkers how hard I really do work at this!

“At the end of the day children won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.”

~ Maya Angelou
Mom2Two 05:02 PM 01-05-2017
I think they're lucky to have you! You sound perfect. In our state it's uncommon for daycare teachers to have actual education.
Tags:attention deficit disorder, training
Reply Up