Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Screaming 25mo...Parents Divorcing....Wait It Out?
ninosqueridos 09:50 AM 03-11-2011
Been in my care since 8mo
Never had a problem napping (naps in pnp for 2-3 hours a day usually)
DCPs arguing at home, physically separating within 2 weeks
HIGH anxiety about every little thing the last 6 weeks
SCREAMS bloody murder at naptime, shakes pnp violently...only calms down if I go in the room.......will scream for over 2 hours (I know because I tried that way for 2 days and he woke up 3 kids in different bedrooms)
He's been screaming at home at bedtime and DCM will go into his room with her blanket & pillow and lay on his floor until he falls asleep and then will sneak out of his room hours later

I explained to dcm yesterday the situation. They are going through a lot at home. She is practically in tears when she hears how he is acting here knowing how much he enjoys being here. She thinks it will improve once her and dcd split up. I do, too....but how long would YOU give his behavior to improve???
DCMomOf3 10:41 AM 03-11-2011
honestly, I would keep him throughout the separation.

His whole little world is changing and he is too little to cope in a quiet way. i would keep your routine as consistent as you can, give him any extra happy attention you can, and just love him to pieces. You are going to be the only normal thing for him for a while.

(Also, I would move him out of the pnp and to a mat/cot/sleeping bag. I transition to the floor at 18 months and they sleep a lot better.)
ninosqueridos 11:02 AM 03-11-2011
That's what I keep thinking...that I am the only consistent, happy environment for him....I would feel *awful* terminating. The screaming gets two of my other dcks crying, too (scared). The other DCPs are starting to take notice.

I don't think he's ready for a nap mat, but I will seriously consider it next week of he continues this behavior. DCM is the one moving out with her son, and she is thinking of moving him from a crib to a toddler bed in the process. Maybe we could both transition him at the same time. Great idea - thank you.
SimpleMom 12:19 PM 03-11-2011
I'd have to agree to wait it out and also to move him out to a nap mat. I've had the same experience with children just sleeping better that way. Poor little guy. That's so much to go through without understanding why he's having all those emotions
R&R 07:06 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
honestly, I would keep him throughout the separation.

His whole little world is changing and he is too little to cope in a quiet way. i would keep your routine as consistent as you can, give him any extra happy attention you can, and just love him to pieces. You are going to be the only normal thing for him for a while.

(Also, I would move him out of the pnp and to a mat/cot/sleeping bag. I transition to the floor at 18 months and they sleep a lot better.)
That's right! Just give him extra snuggles. Find some age-appropriate books about love and family. Have mom and dad make a poster or photo book so you can reinforce that they will always be mom and dad even if they aren't husband and wife. He can even sleep with it!
Tags:divorced parents, nap - crying
Reply Up