Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Proposition from a parent. Gave me lol's
E Daycare 11:16 AM 09-30-2011
Anyone of you ever had a parent say this to you?

"Im thinking of going into childcare too. If we transformed your basement or rented a space we could take on more children together."

Now this made me laugh on account of a bunch of things:

A) It took me an entire year to get ready for my daycare. With school and certifications and supplies and decorating and advertising and book keeping.

B) I dont have a finished basement.

C) I only do part time.

D) Im not licensed nor want to be.

Now with that being said, why would anyone say that to someone else?

Why take my hard earned time and sweat to make my business and add a business partner who expects to just come on into my place? I went to school to get certified in child development, got all my CPR and first aid certs too. Researched child care and took time to advertise on my own. I keep track of all the book keeping (red leaf keeper woo woo!), pay for a child care tax preparer, did my own preschool planning and transformed my front room for it and found this site for insight. It took me a year to get up and going and a year and half to be bustling. This didnt happen overnight. Phew ::wipes brow::

I thought it was insane to mention doing my basement. I dont have $10k to spend finishing it nor do we plan on living here another 5yrs to even bother. If it was finished to begin with then we'd be down there already.

I chose to do part time to spend time with my son. I dont have kids 1-2 days a week and those times I do things with my kid. Me doing part time frees up days and gives me some extra cash. Her doing day care with me would be her SOLE income. Why would I want to be responsible and worry about providing the income of someone else?

I dont wish to be licensed. Maybe one day if I decide to do full time or want more kids but for the most part the 2-3 days a week I do Im good. I also keep within my states guidelines to be legal and issue all the correct receipts. Everything is still issued for the parents to use me on their tax forms and I pay my own taxes. I take what I do seriously but if I wanted more kids and an assistant Id go ahead and take that on. I dont think Im that big that Id need to go out and open a center nor do I think adding 7 more kids would constitute me needing a center. My home is already taking a beating (its only 3 years old!!!). I dont want to add more kids and completely destroy it.

My husband would shoot me.

So with that being said, who wants to go in on this business with me? We'd have to use your home, your resources, your time and if you get sick and Im over ratio then we'll risk the state coming and fining us. All in YOUR home.

Sounds like a plan to me!
cheerfuldom 11:22 AM 09-30-2011
Its because she is completely unaware of how much you have invested into this setup. she has no clue. you must be doing an amazing job to make it look so easy to take it as a compliment on a side note, i made the massive massive mistake of letting a relative work in my home and receive 50% of the income. i don't know what I was thinking because i was paying for everything plus doing 90% of the prep, clean up, shopping, etc. she had it GOOD, just showed up, played for a few hours, collected her check and went home.
nannyde 11:35 AM 09-30-2011
Parent translator: I'm pulling my kid from your day care.

That's all I would hear in this conversation. Nothing else would matter to me.

The way to respond is to tell her that you have been looking for someone to buy into your business. You are looking for an investment of $10,000 and an agreement to divide the money after expenses.

Just get back to you and let you know if she can afford it.

sharlan 11:39 AM 09-30-2011
A polite thanks, but no thanks is all I would say. I guess I would ask when she is planning on leaving, though, so that you can start advertising.
E Daycare 11:45 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Parent translator: I'm pulling my kid from your day care.

That's all I would hear in this conversation. Nothing else would matter to me.

The way to respond is to tell her that you have been looking for someone to buy into your business. You are looking for an investment of $10,000 and an agreement to divide the money after expenses.

Just get back to you and let you know if she can afford it.

LOL good idea Nan!

Ive been prepared if she pulls her kid since shes been complaining about her job for a while now. At the beginning of the school year she was wanting to make it through Christmas so I have a part timer lined up for the start of January. If she waits till Summer to quit then Ill be ok. Either way I dont care if she pulls her kid, I care if she thinks she can come in and take over. I dont go to walmart and say "hey how about if I help you hire more employees and we sell more stuff. Then we can call it E and Wally world and make BIG bucks!!"

Im all for charging a nice consulting fee so she can get on her feet and get going too. I know I make it look easy but Ive had the means and time to get it going. My 1st year alone my income after expenses and taxes was a whopping $300. Some people think they can take their play room and turn it into a daycare. A lot more goes into once you have your hands in it. Im all for everyone has to learn on their own. A little help? Of course! Ill help put up fun photos and show you that it took me a week to make my contract.

Ill have to show her my taxes. BIG eye opener.
MommyMuffin 11:54 AM 09-30-2011
When I decided to open my own daycare I let my provider know 1 month before. It was really hard for me to tell her.

I just really wanted to be with my child and I asked her for any advice she could give me.

She is a very very sweet lady and cried when I told her my daughter was leaving but she never really gave me much advice.

I understand where your coming from. I guess I see both sides now.

At the time when I was talking to my provider about opening my own daycare I; 1. knew she had a long list of kids to take in and I gave her a months notice. 2. MAde sure that I really was going to open before I mentioned anything. 3. Was very sincere about asking for any advice and never thought I would be causing her any upset. I guess I imagined us sipping coffee while she chatted about the best ways to do things and tell me little stories. It never happened.

Now being a provider myself if a dcp came to me and said she was going to open a daycare, I would be upset. I see it now. I would think, I am losing income, does this lady know how freaking hard I work? She thinks she can just jump right in...this takes so much time!!!

The point of my rambling is to say maybe this lady is speaking from a sincere heart and wants some advice. Of course she seems to be asking for a little more than advice...she wants a piece of your buisness....
E Daycare 12:02 PM 09-30-2011
Shes an educator and has always been up and down with what she wants to do or what she doesnt want to do. Yesterday she wanted to go back to school for Xray and the day before that it was to be a phlebotomist. I take what she says with a grain of salt really.

I think shes looking for the easy way out. A "sure quit your job and come work with me!". Not for me, but with me. If she really wants to do this then of course Id help her! Losing her kid isnt going to hurt me any but Id help as much as I could without it being me doing all the work or it taking up too much time.

But for her to say "do up your basement" and think she can just waltz in here too me aback. Im all for franchising but ill supply the resources for a charge and they can do it out of their own building. Just like "Wendy's". LOL
Reply Up