Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCG Starts Monday, Previous Provider And I Chat.....
LaLa1923 06:04 PM 02-01-2013
I have a new DCG starting Monday. Her mom said her previous provider is very good with her DD except she calls out a lot. The way she described her, she's older. She refuses to feed DCG her oatmeal in a bowl, only her bottle. Anyway, she interviewed wedsnesday night. She said she'd get back to me this weekend, she had another place to check out, and that she wanted to give notice to her other provider. Well, she called me the very next morning asking if I could start Monday bc their provider called out again!! She's only had DCG for a month and mom says she calls out at least once a week. Anyway, after the interview, and discussion I realize she's an acquaintance and lives very close to me. Her and I chat from time to time and now I don't know what to do. What do I say if this new DCG comes up in conversation? I guess I would just say I'd rather not discuss it? I am a professional and I do have to keep their information confidential. Have any of you had this problem before?
Starburst 06:55 PM 02-01-2013
The mom might not even tell her that she took her kid to your program; she might just tell the previous provider: "I am going to be taking my daughter out because our family needs more stability" and if for some reason she does bring this situation up unless she asks you directly if you now have the child just don't let on to it. If she does ask you if the girl is in your program or her mother looked into your program just tell her that you don't like to discuss or just can't disclose personal information about clients/potential clients (parent/provider confidentiality)- thought this will pretty much confirm it.

It seems like if she always calls out that she might have some personal things going on (such as illness or family drama) that is conflicting with her work and while it may suck to lose a kid; It maybe better if for now she didn't have to worry about canceling the day on another family. Also it is not fair to the family that she keeps closing frequently when she had just accepted their child, espesually if they need regular care and it causes them to have to call out of work and lose income (and possibly their job).

So don't beat yourself up, it seems like for all parties involved it is for the best solution for now.
Good Luck .
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 02-02-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I have a new DCG starting Monday. Her mom said her previous provider is very good with her DD except she calls out a lot. The way she described her, she's older. She refuses to feed DCG her oatmeal in a bowl, only her bottle. Anyway, she interviewed wedsnesday night. She said she'd get back to me this weekend, she had another place to check out, and that she wanted to give notice to her other provider. Well, she called me the very next morning asking if I could start Monday bc their provider called out again!! She's only had DCG for a month and mom says she calls out at least once a week. Anyway, after the interview, and discussion I realize she's an acquaintance and lives very close to me. Her and I chat from time to time and now I don't know what to do. What do I say if this new DCG comes up in conversation? I guess I would just say I'd rather not discuss it? I am a professional and I do have to keep their information confidential. Have any of you had this problem before?
If you are a casual aquaintance of this other provider, I would simply say that yes, the child now attends your care, you have no knowledge of why the parent wanted to leave her care.

If the old provider wants to know she would need to ask the parents as the parent is the only one who has that info...atleast the only one that has the correct info.....what DCM told you might not be the reason at all, just what she said to you....kwim?

I wouldn't feel compfortable or ethical telling the old provider anything the family said about her.
rmc20021 10:20 AM 02-02-2013
I live in a very small community and when I did daycare before, I networked with all the other providers in my area. It worked out great because we could all communicate about different families...whether they paid, what the kid was like etc. I mean the family wants referrals on their providers, shouldn't we be able to get referrals on the family as well????

You are hearing one side of the story...there very well could be more to it than that. Although I wouldn't feel comfortable approaching someone I didn't have that networking relationship with, I'd have to wonder if maybe it's not something going on with the parents rather than the provider...not saying there is, but you never know....just a thought.
Reply Up