Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need opinions
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 02:38 PM 12-27-2014
I have a dcm that is on my FB page. I completely forgot she was on my personal page. Which is my first mistake by adding her to my personal page and not my professional page.

Well I watched my nephew for my mom and step dad while they went out of town today. It was a quick day trip.

I posted a cute picture of my nephew sleeping in the recliner on my FB page. Well this dcm posted "oh yeah I guess you still have him during vacation huh?"

I became extremely irritated by this comment. It is non of her business who I keep during my vacation time. Plus it is a Saturday. My sister (he is not her son) posted "well he is our nephew and frankly it isn't any of your business. Your just mad cause you can't drop your kid off with my sister. I quickly deleted the picture post and comments. My sister and I are very very very protective of my nephew and our mom for that matter. My husband told me to just let it go. However, I'm having a hard time "letting it go". He said it is because im a catty woman, but that isn't true either. This woman has said some other things before that really just rub me the wrong way. My best friend just thinks she lacks social skills. I am off for another week and she is a teacher so she has had off this past week along with next week. I do keep my nephew when I'm closed but that is because he is family. My mom is the only client that pays me no matter if he is here or not. She is the only one that picks up right after work. She is also the only one that will keep him home if sick and not complain about having to work or being out of days. If I need time off she makes other arrangements. Like she knew I didn't have other kids this past Monday/Tuesday so my sister kept him till she had to go to work at 11 and then dropped him off with me. If my mom gets off early she comes straight here not go home and hang out till normal pick up time.

would you let this dcm know how you feel or just let it go?

Back story on my nephew. He is going to be 2 in March. His mother (my brother ex girlfriend) was doing Herion while pregnant with him and nobody knew. The nurses could tell he was in withdrawls by his cry and they tested him. Called CPS and the girl had to come clean. He spent two months of his life in NICU having seizures and having to deal with withdrawls. CPS wanted to give them a chance to be parents, but they both failed drug test and my mom was called to come get him or he was going into foster care. It was a previous care plan when CPS released him to his parents. So my mom and step dad has had him for over a year and half. My brother come to find out was also doing it. Well he also ended up with three DUIs and is spending a year in prison. Well my brother has called every single day since the day my mom got custody. His mother has not called but twice. She is still strung out and doesn't even communicate with her three other children who live in the same town as her. So now you might understand why I'm completely protective of him. He calls me momma because he hears my kids call me that and he is treated like he is another one of my kids. This dcm knows he is my nephew.
permanentvacation 02:57 PM 12-27-2014
I would un-friend the daycare parent on your Facebook page. And make sure your Facebook page is set so that only your friends can see your information, posts, etc. on your page.

I wouldn't bring anything about the Facebook issue up to the parent. If she brings it up, I would say something like, 'Of course he's here when I'm closed. He's family. He's my nephew. He comes and visits all the time; evenings, weekends, holidays. Just like my sister and mother do. He's FAMILY. Him being here on my days off has nothing to do with daycare."
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:21 PM 12-27-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I would un-friend the daycare parent on your Facebook page. And make sure your Facebook page is set so that only your friends can see your information, posts, etc. on your page.

I wouldn't bring anything about the Facebook issue up to the parent. If she brings it up, I would say something like, 'Of course he's here when I'm closed. He's family. He's my nephew. He comes and visits all the time; evenings, weekends, holidays. Just like my sister and mother do. He's FAMILY. Him being here on my days off has nothing to do with daycare."
I immediately removed and blocked her from my private page. The settings are already set to only friends list can see anything about me. You can't even see who I'm friends with when you are on my friends list. It was stupid of me to add her to that page in the first place. I honestly forgot she was even on that page. If your not someone I talk to frequently then their newfeed stuff doesn't show up. Then I forget they are there.
Meyou 05:02 AM 12-28-2014
I would probably talk to her about it and say something like, "DCM, I just want to clarify that over my vacation I was closed to all clients as we discussed. I am never closed to being an aunty to my nephew however. It was nice to spend some one on one time with my boy over the holidays."

It is perfectly fine to have anyone you want over on your off time.
KidGrind 05:55 AM 12-28-2014
You don’t owe her an explanation.
I wouldn’t bring it up unless she brought it up.

I think your sister was out of line.

I don’t think the DCM’s statement was disrespectful or outlandish. You had her on your FB to view what is going on in your personal life. I viewed it as her ‘possibly fishing’ for possible vacation care considering you already had your nephew.

My response would’ve been:

Yes, I love to spend vacation & holidays with my family. I hope you and _____ are having fun times during your vacation & holiday.
midaycare 07:26 AM 12-28-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:

I don’t think the DCM’s statement was disrespectful or outlandish. You had her on your FB to view what is going on in your personal life. I viewed it as her ‘possibly fishing’ for possible vacation care considering you already had your nephew.

Yes, I love to spend vacation & holidays with my family. I hope you and _____ are having fun times during your vacation & holiday.
I would have been so mad at my sister for posting that. It's my business, my client. And dcm's comment could have been completely innocent.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 12-28-2014
Move DCM to business page NOT family.

Let the rest go.

DCM doesn't need to know the details of your nephew's life/circumstances

Sister doesn't need to make any comments to your clients as she is out of line for doing so.

But as far as the comment goes. It's just words. You don't know the intention or thoughts behind them so let it go.

I wouldn't spend a single second longer worrying about what either of them (your sis or you DCM) said.

You removed DCM from your personal page and it's all good now.

Let it go and move on. It's over, nothing changed in your business or personal relationships.

It DOES sound like you have issues with DCM's comment because of PAST behavior (comments) from DCM. If that is the case, I would address that issue but leave this particular incident alone as you've taken steps to make sure clients can not comment on your personal page any more.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 02:05 PM 12-28-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:

My sister just turned 19 so it was more of a protection response. I had a talk with my sister about it too.
Reply Up