Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gifting A Date Night (Logistics)/Parent Gift/WWYD
LittleScholars 11:01 AM 12-13-2017
I feel like this topic has been covered many times, but I'm still torn and need help making a quick decision.

Last year I was very pregnant and knew I would go out on maternity leave right after Christmas. Feeling grateful for the flexibility of my families, I gifted free days of care. This year, I'm still grateful for them, but I can't (and don't feel the need to) lose that much income. I'd still like to do something nice. For my birthday earlier this month they all gifted me $220 dollars in spa services. I know they are doing something nice for Christmas, as well.

I would like to gift a parents night out, but I'm not certain I'm actually allowed to do that. For it to be worthwhile I would have to offer the service to all kiddos and their siblings. I could easily get additional help, but I can't quite tell if I'm allowed to have a non-daycare hours get together for everyone without parents present. I can call licensing, but thought I'd gather your insight first.

I could also do wine and chocolate for parents, but that seems underwhelming. The kids are making a craft for the parents.

I'm wasting so much time thinking about this and need a great idea!
hwichlaz 11:37 AM 12-13-2017
I’m technically not allowed to do care outside my licensed hours, but my analyst says I can just send her an email so that she knows when I’m doing it and can inspect if she chooses. Realistically, they work 9-5 mon-fri, lol.
hwichlaz 11:55 AM 12-13-2017
I did one for New Year’s Eve last year. I charged for it, but it was fun.

I had take-n-bake pizza and root beer floats for them, and they made party hats and tambourines.
LittleScholars 12:54 PM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I’m technically not allowed to do care outside my licensed hours, but my analyst says I can just send her an email so that she knows when I’m doing it and can inspect if she chooses. Realistically, they work 9-5 mon-fri, lol.
Super helpful! I wouldn’t be charging, but I would be over ratio. I wouldn’t be alone, and it would really be different than daycare (no outside time or transitions). It would be a free-of-charge pj party. But I suppose an email to licensing is the best next step! Thank you!
storybookending 01:48 PM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Super helpful! I wouldn’t be charging, but I would be over ratio. I wouldn’t be alone, and it would really be different than daycare (no outside time or transitions). It would be a free-of-charge pj party. But I suppose an email to licensing is the best next step! Thank you!
There’s something in my state that says programs under 3 hours and every so often such as parents night outs are exempt from licensing. We ran them at the center (also a ymca) like one Friday a month and I would work them. It was not uncommon for the ratio to be something ridiculous like 1:15 mixed aged group of kids ages 1-12. I quit after they got too big and were still just staffing them me and two other people.

Also could this fall under “babysitting” and not daycare. I know as a teen I’d be left alone to care for 6-8 kids all the time but back then I was just a babysitter so it was okay.
rosieteddy 02:00 PM 12-13-2017
The care you provide every day is enough.Parents are lucky that they can feel good about the care you provide.Last year you felt the need because you were taking maternity leave.I would just do a family gift.I used to pick a movie ,pj's snacks and a Christmas book.One year added a bottle of wine for parents (if you think appropriate).I wrote a little note --put children in pj;s ,hand out snack,put movie on ,pour yourself a glass of wine enjoy at least an hour, Story and bed.No one expects teachers to do extra hours free.Have fun.
NeedaVaca 02:12 PM 12-13-2017
I think a nice keepsake type craft is more than enough and a very thoughtful gift they will love for years. I don't actually buy gifts for my daycare parents, its always a keepsake I have made. They don't cost much at all either which is great when you are on a budget. It could be anything from a handprint calendar, a photo gift of some kind, an ornament or salt dough handprint, etc... so many possibilities and I'm not very crafty
hwichlaz 03:35 PM 12-13-2017
If you haven’t already purchased daycare kid gifts, you could do a family basket. A family board game a box of hot cocoa packets and a bag of microwave popcorn.
LittleScholars 09:26 AM 12-14-2017
These are wonderful ideas!! Thank you!
amberrose3dg 09:29 AM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
These are wonderful ideas!! Thank you!
Let me just say you are quite generous to offer parents that. Honestly my time off from the kids is much needed. I do not see me doing date nights anytime soon.
LittleScholars 12:28 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Let me just say you are quite generous to offer parents that. Honestly my time off from the kids is much needed. I do not see me doing date nights anytime soon.
I think I'm generous, but also still feel guilty for creating wacky schedules early this year when I closed. I know it is part of home daycare, so I really just need to get it over it for my own sake!
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 12-14-2017
Another thing to consider is liability insurance.

Are you covered during evening hours?
LittleScholars 10:56 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Another thing to consider is liability insurance.

Are you covered during evening hours?
Always my first thought!! But I'm covered!
Tags:christmas gifts parents, gifting, parent gifts
Reply Up