Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A 9 Month Old That Doesn't Sleep?!? Tell Me It Isn't So....
SunflowerMama 12:19 PM 03-26-2010
So I have a 9 month old little girl starting and I'll admit I'm dreading naptime.

Her mom says she doesn't take a scheduled nap during the day. Just little cat naps on occassion.

Now I've never had experience with non-sleepers. Our girls were sleeping 12 hours at 12 weeks old and still at 3 take over 3hr naps during the day and sleep 7p - 8a (I know I'm super lucky). I've also been lucky so far with my other dck. Everyone right now naps 1 - 4p.

I really need that time to clean up the house a bit, get some laundry done and of course catch up on emails and other online forums.

I'm really hoping this isn't the case and she sleeps when she's here.

Has anyone had this problem with a little one so young?? I'm wondering if I should just start her in a seperate room so she doesn't disturb the others or if maybe she sees the other infant and 2 toddlers sleeping that she will get some sleep too.

Advice??
gkids09 12:27 PM 03-26-2010
I've had several parents to bring their kids and say, "sorry, ___ doesn't take naps. Never has, never will." Guess what...They are usually the best nappers I have. lol I think it all comes down to what they do during the day (wear them out with fun games, exercises, move move move!). Then, be sure to tell the parents that he/she DID actually take a nap. I don't start taking kids until they are 1 year old, so I'm not exactly sure how a 9 month old will nap, but no matter what, all the kids have to lay down here...If they don't go to sleep, that's fine, but they do have to lay quietly...Good luck with this one. It's kinda difficult, but just stay with it. Many times, if they figure out you aren't going to get them up and let them do whatever they want to do, they'll give in and go to sleep.
tymaboy 02:07 PM 03-26-2010
At 9 months I may not let her take her 'cat naps' in the morning that way she will take a normal nap in the afternoon. Most of my kids are at 1 nap before they turn 1.
grandmom 02:13 PM 03-26-2010
I agree with tymaboy. Keep that child busy and awake until the tummy is full and everyone else is asleep. Then be consistent with the child staying in a crib until nap time is over. They get the schedule very quickly. Good luck.

Be very sensitive however, to your state laws. Mine say an infant sleeps and eats on their own schedule......I help them develop a schedule that is routine and allows for a good nap....
momma2girls 02:32 PM 03-26-2010
Most of my daycare children who are younger than 1 1/2 still take a am nap along with an afternoon nap. Many of these children have to be up by 6 am, one is up at 5:30 every am. These definately need 2 naps, about 9:30 they are super tired, and crying, following me around and need this nap very badly. I do try to have them go without it at times, but no can do!! I guess around 1 1/2 they can try and go without it.
mac60 03:04 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Most of my daycare children who are younger than 1 1/2 still take a am nap along with an afternoon nap. Many of these children have to be up by 6 am, one is up at 5:30 every am. These definately need 2 naps, about 9:30 they are super tired, and crying, following me around and need this nap very badly. I do try to have them go without it at times, but no can do!! I guess around 1 1/2 they can try and go without it.
This is pretty much what I do. I normally get close to age 2 before I go to 1 nap, I have an 19 mo old that falls asleep in the high chair frequently.
TGT09 03:17 PM 03-26-2010
My friend's baby is like that and it drives me crazy! Luckily, I only watch her on special occasions. She's 8 months old and ONLY catnaps 20-30 minutes at a time but does that like 4 times a day.
Childminder 04:34 PM 03-26-2010
It's because they have no routine. I've had parents that start their child with that. Yeah right. Be a parent and get your child on a schedule. With in a week of coming to daycare every single child that doesn't take naps has done so here.
melissa ann 04:44 PM 03-26-2010
I have a 1 yr old (on Mon) and I had him since 6 weeks old. Mom always tells me he doesn't nap during the day. Well, most days he naps in the morning, for about 1/2 hr, he's ususally up by 9:30 and after lunch he goes in his pack/play and sometimes he will cry for like 10 mins but then he is out. He usually sleeps at least 2hr in the afternoon.
Francine 05:37 PM 03-26-2010
I had a little boy the last time around that didn't take a nap at home after he hit a year old, he napped every day at my house until he went off to preschool. I agree with what everybody else has said, it's all about the routine and your expectations.
momofsix 09:08 PM 03-26-2010
I would have agreed with everyone else, until I started a newborn last year, we had her first birthday party today, and she does NOT sleep! She was a very fussy and colicky baby, and is quite happy now, but will sleep at the most an hour--and that's on a good day! I have her older sister (3) who asks for quiet time to start now! I know her parents, they have a schedule and routine for these kids--but baby just doesn't need much sleep. When she is tired, she's fussy and will fall asleep, but after half an hour she's usually wide awake again. I used to try leaving her in her bed to see if she'd fall back asleep, but she would ALWAYS have a dirty diaper so I'd have to get her up. I don't let her sleep anymore in the morning, but that hasn't made a difference. she's only two days a week for me, and when she's up she will play quietly on the floor so I can still get some things done. Not the way I would prefer things, but that is just the way this little girl is.
SunflowerMama 04:17 AM 03-27-2010
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I think I'm going to give it time and see what happens. I have a 10 day "trial period" in my contract so if it turns out to be too disruptive to the other children I'll just tell her mom it's not a good fit. I think if I can get her on a good schedule though at my place everything will be ok.
Lucy 11:41 PM 03-27-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Totally agree with you here. 18 months is my rule of thumb for when kids can switch to just 1 nap. All kids are different though... some may switch at 14-16 months, some not till 20-22. But 18 months is about the average during my 16 yrs. experience. Like you said, I have some that are woken up by 5:30 or 6:00 am. By 9:30 they are ready for about an hour to hour and a half nap, and then again at around 2:00 they take another hour to hour and a half nap. I always roll my eyes at the people on these boards who try to mold all kids into ONE schedule. Kids are different. Take your cues from each kid individually. You'll find what works in each one's best interest. We are here for the kids. Some of the things I read here just sound so institutional. I want the kids I watch to experience my home as if it were their own.
Tags:sleep
Reply Up