Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First 2 Week Notice
MsLaura529 06:54 AM 03-25-2014
Well, I just got my first 2 week notice this morning It's my little buddy who I have had since the beginning (last May). He's DS's best friend, and DS is going to be absolutely devastated. DCM said it's because of the her drive to work and finding somewhere along the way. (When he first was enrolled she was a SAHM just bringing him 2 days a week for socialization. Now she's working one those 2 days a week and has been cutting it close with pick-up times.) I can't help but feel like it is my fault, though. I don't know why, maybe my laziness this winter? Or since the dynamics have changed with having an infant here? Ugh, this is tough.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 03-25-2014
(((hugs))) It is hard not to take it personally.

You just have to keep telling yourself though that families will always do what is best for them and you do the same.

It is hard when you build a relationship with a family and even harder when your child does but in the end this is still a good thing. You want DCM to do what is best for her and the experience will help your son realize that playmates will come and go but that we are to enjoy the heck out of them while they are here and remember that nothing is the end.

You can still invite the child over for a play date with your son if you wanted too. You could also suggest to DCM that you would love to be her back up provider (at least that would give you a chance to see him again possibly).

Hang in there..... I'd like to say it gets easier but I would be lying if I said that.

It gets easier to get through but still feels crappy.
Dsquared 07:03 AM 03-25-2014
I know how you feel. When a parent gives me notice I always wonder if maybe I should of not gotten on her so much for being a little late. The exact same thing happened to me with a mom. My close time was 5:00 and she was not making it to me until 5:15. It got stressful for her so she told me that she found a daycare closer to work. I actually sent her an email the next day and told her that I would be willing to let her be late and she changed her mind and kept the girl with me. Now she picks her up before 5:00 or at 5:00! It really ended up working out. Maybe you could do the same if you really need the income? If not, you will definitely find another child
mom2many 07:23 AM 03-25-2014
I can relate to how you feel! I always hate getting hit with news like that. I try not to take it personally, but it's always hard for me. I get attached to the kids and it's sad knowing they won't be coming here anymore. I think it's my least favorite thing about this career!

Hopefully the boys can still stay friends through play dates! My oldest ds (now 28 yo) was 3 yo, when I had another dcb here who was also 3. They were best buds! He stopped coming here when they both started kindergarten & are still great friends and see each other often!
melilley 08:18 AM 03-25-2014
Awwww.
It doesn't sound like it's anything that you did. It doesn't make it any less hard though. I feel the same about this winter, hopefully spring will come soon!
Play Care 08:54 AM 03-25-2014

TwinKristi 09:15 AM 03-25-2014
I remember my first long-term family giving me 2wks notice. I was pretty bummed. It was a similar reason, mom went from 4 to 5 days a week and they had space at his sisters preschool where she a already went every day anyway so it just made sense to move him there sooner rather than later. The dumb part to me was that sister is going to another school in August so it's only for a few months that she's having one stop and then she's back to two again! I think she was mad about my sick policy since when she started it was just her DS and as I grew I had to tighten down my sick policy and she was a habitual policy breaker! It's for the best though. He was starting to enter the terrible twos and I still watch him and his sister about once a month and it reminds me of why I'm glad they left! LOL he was sick throwing up last week on Wed when he was supposed to be here and she kept him home, but took him to school Thurs & Fri and he started throwing up again Saturday so she took him to the dr. So glad it wasn't my care he was at Thurs & Fri spreading his icky germs all over!
TaylorTots 09:20 AM 03-25-2014
Sorry for the notice
Shell 10:18 AM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
(((hugs))) It is hard not to take it personally.

You just have to keep telling yourself though that families will always do what is best for them and you do the same.

It is hard when you build a relationship with a family and even harder when your child does but in the end this is still a good thing. You want DCM to do what is best for her and the experience will help your son realize that playmates will come and go but that we are to enjoy the heck out of them while they are here and remember that nothing is the end.

You can still invite the child over for a play date with your son if you wanted too. You could also suggest to DCM that you would love to be her back up provider (at least that would give you a chance to see him again possibly).

Hang in there..... I'd like to say it gets easier but I would be lying if I said that.

It gets easier to get through but still feels crappy.
I definitely cried, vented, got angry, etc. with my first family that gave notice. The truth is, people move on when something no longer works for them. It is hard not to take it personally, but it really is all about the family and what they can do to make things easier on themselves.
FCCarmyprovider 11:28 AM 03-25-2014

MsLaura529 02:46 PM 03-25-2014
Thanks ladies. It's going to be tough in a couple weeks when I have to keep telling my son "nope, DCB is not coming today", since he asks EVERY day. AND it leaves DS being the only boy in my group for the summer, hah.
misslori50 09:47 AM 03-26-2014
We had our first child leave a month ago. It was devastating. We loved her so much. Well I got a call last week and guess what? She is back. We could not be happier. Her fathers schedule changed but now it is changed back.
Reply Up