Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need advice
Unregistered 08:40 AM 10-30-2014
I need some advice, I feel like I'm constantly at battle with my dcks. "Share, use your words, don't bite biting hurts, don't hit hitting hearts, you don't need to scream you need to ask, off the table, get out from under the table, indoor voices, get dressed, please stop, don't throw, wait your turn, do we run in the house, etc" I feel like this is constant all day everyday.. I'm at a loss for what to do. These kids can't even play nicely together durning free play, structured play, meal times, they are constantly always at eat other. Is it me? They all came from a center that has zero control, zero rules, zero boundaries, they are use to being let do whatever they want to do. How can I change this? How can I improve our days. How can I be the fun daycare lady again
Kabob 08:49 AM 10-30-2014
What ages and how many children do you have?

Sometimes certain ages just don't mix and sometimes it is one or two children that cause a chain reaction of difficult behavior in a group.

Finding the source of your difficulties might help.

It also helps to set up your routine differently for your group.

It also helps if the parents are on board with setting up their children for success in a group setting...
Unregistered 09:14 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
What ages and how many children do you have?

Sometimes certain ages just don't mix and sometimes it is one or two children that cause a chain reaction of difficult behavior in a group.

Finding the source of your difficulties might help.

It also helps to set up your routine differently for your group.

It also helps if the parents are on board with setting up their children for success in a group setting...
I have 5 dcks but most times only 4 kids as one is part time flexi and one is part time scheduled.
They are 23 month, 2, 2 1/2, 3 and 4.

Our routine is usually
7:45 (drop off)
7:45-8-45 (free play)
8:45-9(clean up, which only happens with a ton of talk from me and a lot of hand over hand)
9-9:15 (circle, good morning, what day is today, time for kids to tell the group something)
9:15-9:30 (wash up for snack, time with lots of fighting / at each other.. They all get a book to read durning this time but only one usually sits to read)
9:30-9:50 (prep snack, eat clean up.. Durning this I get them to sit and play with toys, books, coloring, puzzles. But again ends in fighting jumping around climbing etc)
9:50-:10:10 (bathroom)
10:10-10:30 (craft, painting, playdoh something like this)
10:30-10:45 (get ready for outside)
10:45-11:30/45 (outside play, only time there is hardly any fighting)
11:30/45-12 (come in from outside prep lunch.. Again books toys shapes etc at the table and again ending in fights)
12-12:30 (lunch)
12:30-12:50 (bathroom, teeth bush)
12:50-2:30 ( if anyone wakes up in between they come out and do a free play)
2:30-2:50 (wake up from nap , clean up nap things, free play while this happens)
2:50-3:05 (bathroom)
3:05-3:25 (snack/clean up)
3:25-4:30/5 (get ready for outside and outside, 3 dcks leave durning this outside time but I also gain my dd and a sak)
5:00 ( who ever is left we come in they do free play and I make supper/hang out. Things are much calmer when the sak are here)
Unregistered 09:15 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 5 dcks but most times only 4 kids as one is part time flexi and one is part time scheduled.
They are 23 month, 2, 2 1/2, 3 and 4.

Our routine is usually
7:45 (drop off)
7:45-8-45 (free play)
8:45-9(clean up, which only happens with a ton of talk from me and a lot of hand over hand)
9-9:15 (circle, good morning, what day is today, time for kids to tell the group something)
9:15-9:30 (wash up for snack, time with lots of fighting / at each other.. They all get a book to read durning this time but only one usually sits to read)
9:30-9:50 (prep snack, eat clean up.. Durning this I get them to sit and play with toys, books, coloring, puzzles. But again ends in fighting jumping around climbing etc)
9:50-:10:10 (bathroom)
10:10-10:30 (craft, painting, playdoh something like this)
10:30-10:45 (get ready for outside)
10:45-11:30/45 (outside play, only time there is hardly any fighting)
11:30/45-12 (come in from outside prep lunch.. Again books toys shapes etc at the table and again ending in fights)
12-12:30 (lunch)
12:30-12:50 (bathroom, teeth bush)
12:50-2:30 ( if anyone wakes up in between they come out and do a free play)
2:30-2:50 (wake up from nap , clean up nap things, free play while this happens)
2:50-3:05 (bathroom)
3:05-3:25 (snack/clean up)
3:25-4:30/5 (get ready for outside and outside, 3 dcks leave durning this outside time but I also gain my dd and a sak)
5:00 ( who ever is left we come in they do free play and I make supper/hang out. Things are much calmer when the sak are here)
These times are all approximate some days things go long/shorter depending on moods/kids.
Cat Herder 09:46 AM 10-30-2014
How big is your playroom? Is it one open room or does it have alcoves where children can get away from one another?
Unregistered 09:59 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
How big is your playroom? Is it one open room or does it have alcoves where children can get away from one another?
It's not very big about 10 x 12 and all open, we do use the hallway as well to take toys in to play.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 10-30-2014
I would separate that playroom up, block area, reading/cozy area, and use barriers/furniture as much as possible to divide up the room.

I would have them go in one spot, separate if they can't play nicely. If they are done, they need to clean up before they move to a different area.

I would model a LOT of interactions with them during your circle time.
Cat Herder 10:05 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's not very big about 10 x 12 and all open, we do use the hallway as well to take toys in to play.
Oh, ok. Well, that may be the problem. That is pretty small, IMHO, like 24 foot per child before furniture? During the 2-4 years it would feel like much less with all that energy, noise and movement.

Here we have to have 35, per child, unobstructed (no toys or furniture in the space) so it really works out to almost 45 per child. I does make it so much easier to manage the group, though.

Is there a way for them to spend the majority of the day outside?

Also, exactly what Daycarediva said. That would help you so much.
Kabob 11:40 AM 10-30-2014
Not knowing the size of your indoor space, I would've said add outdoor time right away in the morning.

Knowing the size of your indoor space, I strongly suggest some extra outdoor time.

Also the advice about separating space helps here too.

Sometimes kids just need to get their wiggles out one way or another...I'd start there. This is just solely based on the little information I have though.
AuntTami 02:21 PM 10-30-2014
I would suggest outside time right away in the morning as well.

Or some other type of activity...

Maybe a morning dance, or some exercises...SOMETHING active to get the wiggles out. Make sure they're really working all those muscles.
earlystart 02:34 PM 10-30-2014
For the 3 and 4 year old I would suggest implementing a timeout system where they get 3 warnings and the third warning they get a 3-4 minute time out. You can explain to them ahead of time what this new rule is, and perhaps remind them before each day begins. Being consistent with this rule, and not showing any emotion when you do it is the key to changing their behavior.
Baby Beluga 02:39 PM 10-30-2014
I second adding some outdoor playtime first thing in the morning. I do it here and it has helped tremendously.

Also, I noticed (if I am reading your schedule correctly) that from about 9:00 - 10:30 they are doing activities that require sitting down. Perhaps after circle time, but before snack you could add in some music and movement with music and instruments and let them go hog wild for a few? That may also help with getting wiggles out. I try to alternate sitting down and movement activities with one another. Maybe you could even have them do some sort of musical parade to the bathroom to wash hands and then out of the bathroom when finished washing up?

When you do free play are the kids allowed to take out whatever toys they want to or do you limit them? If they are allowed to take whatever they want out, it might be too much for them.

If you are not able to break up your room with furniture, I would try adding some rugs if you don't already have some. My playroom is not easily broken up into sections with furniture- so I use rugs and centers. During our free play time I have two children go to the brown rug with one center and two children go to our puzzle rug with another center. I set an egg timer for 15 minutes and when it dings we switch.
Play Care 03:11 AM 10-31-2014
I'm also going to chime in and say GET OUTSIDE

But I'll add that once outside, make sure the kids are engaged in games/activity that get them moving. I've had groups that would be WILD inside, but as soon as we got out, they would sit and playthen we'd go back inside only to have them off the walls again

My motto has become "run their legs off!" (gently - obviously! )
Unregistered 04:54 AM 10-31-2014
Opening post here, I never ever thought of outside first thing in the morning. I've worked in childcare for over 10 years between centers, in home and private and not once have i taken outside first thing. I am SO thankful for stumbling upon this site. We did outside this morning right after drop off, the children complained "I'm tired, I wanna nap, I want to play in the playroom" but nope! Out we went anyways and my oh my did I run them! Played chase, and did running races. We hopped and shook our sillies out. They complained they were tired wanted up, so we went for a little walk, came back and ran some more! Tag, chase, hopping, ring around the Rosie etc. They were pooped coming in and now as we all sit in the play room THEY ARE NOT FIGHTING !!!! I could kiss you all! I am very thankful for this site and all the amazing information and helpfulness it has provide. I am thankful for all you amazing hardworking women and men!! Everyone have a very happy Halloween!!
Heidi 10:47 AM 10-31-2014
haha...late to the party, but I was going to say "get them outside more".
Tags:centers, environments, learning center, play area - too small, space %
Reply Up