Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Narrators
Hunni Bee 08:02 PM 10-05-2014
I know I saw a thread last month about kids who narrate their every action, but I don't remember the name of it.

But can or should anything be done about it? I have a four year old dcg who does this, but its to the point where she won't go through with the action if I don't validate each announcement.

I'm going to read a book. (Okay, good idea)
I'm going to read xx book. (Okay)
Im going to sit here (Silence)
I'm going to sit here, I'm going to sit here, imgoingtosithere x infinity til I respond

Or

Am I calendar helper (yes that's your job this week)
Are we gonna do calendar? (Yes at circle time)
And I'm the calendar helper? (Yep)
When we do calendar, I'm gonna be the calendar helper (silence)
Right Ms ---? Right? I'm the calendar helper right??

Its a little more annoying than I'm comfortable with, and I'd like to curb it. I know she likes to know what's going on, and I can say I'm good about explaining things to kids beforehand, but*that doesn't make a whole lot of difference with this DCG. Any ideas on how I can modify this behavior? Thanks.
Second Home 03:29 AM 10-06-2014
I have one like this too. "I need to wash my hands , I am washing my hands , I am done washing my hands , I need to dry my hands , I am drying my hands " etc ...

I let her know that she does not need to tell me everything , just the big things . But she still narrates everything . Sometimes it makes for a very long day , especially when a younger dck starts to mimic and you then have 2 doing it .
daniellesweety1 07:34 AM 10-06-2014
My 5 year old daughter does this and she talks with her hands . So everything she says, she ends it with "right" and if I ignore her she said it again then says "right mommy, right daddy" or whoever else she's talking to. I tell her all the time she doesn't have to say right behind everything. AND gosh.... if she's telling a story, her hands are moving all over the place and then she ends it with "RIGHT"

It drives me crazy.....
Bookworm 09:09 AM 10-06-2014
I have a few in my class now that I've almost stopped from doing this. My response is "Why are you telling me" and I walk away or continue whatever I'm doing. As for the questions, I usually say "I'm not answering that" especially when I just said it five seconds ago. I just keep repeating my phrases and they get the hint. Not trying to hijack but does anyone know the reason they do this? Is it an attention seeking behavior?
Annalee 09:13 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I have a few in my class now that I've almost stopped from doing this. My response is "Why are you telling me" and I walk away or continue whatever I'm doing. As for the questions, I usually say "I'm not answering that" especially when I just said it five seconds ago. I just keep repeating my phrases and they get the hint. Not trying to hijack but does anyone know the reason they do this? Is it an attention seeking behavior?
I feel it is because they are the center of attention ALWAYS! Think about it, around here you can't even go to a baby shower without somebody's kids hijacking the show and "MOM" sits back and acts like it is so cute!!!!
preschoolteacher 11:50 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I feel it is because they are the center of attention ALWAYS! Think about it, around here you can't even go to a baby shower without somebody's kids hijacking the show and "MOM" sits back and acts like it is so cute!!!!
Oh my gosh, I was at a baby shower this weekend, and a five year old girl there did exactly that!

During the gift opening, she kept pulling presents from the pile and tearing through them as the pregnant mom was trying to open them. Pregnant Mama kept telling her to be patient. She was trying so hard to keep all of the gifts organized so she knew who gave her what. This girl just kept at it. And the girl's mom just sat there and said nothing.

The girl was the daughter of the pregnant mom's friend--so she wasn't even a niece or a cousin, not that it would be acceptable then, but sometimes we tolerate more from family
Bookworm 02:52 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
This explains my worst offender to a tee.
Annalee 09:09 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have one like this too. "I need to wash my hands , I am washing my hands , I am done washing my hands , I need to dry my hands , I am drying my hands " etc ...

I let her know that she does not need to tell me everything , just the big things . But she still narrates everything . Sometimes it makes for a very long day , especially when a younger dck starts to mimic and you then have 2 doing it .
i think kids today are like this because everything is a big thing and they get praised for everything....parents are like helicopters over their kids creating self-centered monsters....
preschoolteacher 11:54 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I know I saw a thread last month about kids who narrate their every action, but I don't remember the name of it.

But can or should anything be done about it? I have a four year old dcg who does this, but its to the point where she won't go through with the action if I don't validate each announcement.

I'm going to read a book. (Okay, good idea)
I'm going to read xx book. (Okay)
Im going to sit here (Silence)
I'm going to sit here, I'm going to sit here, imgoingtosithere x infinity til I respond

Or

Am I calendar helper (yes that's your job this week)
Are we gonna do calendar? (Yes at circle time)
And I'm the calendar helper? (Yep)
When we do calendar, I'm gonna be the calendar helper (silence)
Right Ms ---? Right? I'm the calendar helper right??

Its a little more annoying than I'm comfortable with, and I'd like to curb it. I know she likes to know what's going on, and I can say I'm good about explaining things to kids beforehand, but*that doesn't make a whole lot of difference with this DCG. Any ideas on how I can modify this behavior? Thanks.
The one child I had who did this was an only child who came here on a very PT schedule and was cared for by a parent the rest of the time. She had a ton of one-on-one attention at home. She also had zero social skills in terms of playing with other children. She showed some real signs of social anxiety around her peers.
NightOwl 01:40 PM 10-06-2014
My 12 yo dd does this and she's diagnosed with OCD and generalized anxiety disorder. So the constant reinforcement she needs is a security thing mixed in with compulsions to always know what's going on. It's maddening sometimes, but I understand why she does it.
Tags:interesting, narrators
Reply Up