Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On My Mom That Quit Her Job....
cheerfuldom 06:17 AM 04-18-2011
Okay so she was supposed to let me know her plan for sure by yesterday (through email). She sent a super late email saying that she "guessed" she would be staying at home and trying out the stay at home mom thing for a few weeks and see how it goes. If that part goes good, she will be trying to watch a child or two herself to make some extra money. Both parts are extremely hilarious to me because while her daughter is a really nice little girl for me, not so much for her parents. It has gotten A LOT better that last few months but she is 2.5 and still on the baby stuff constantly (paci, numerous loveys, etc). I feel that the only reason she has progressed at all is because I have had to force a few things on my end. It still takes up to 20 minutes to get her in the car because she's climbing all over the place, running in the street and screaming that she doesn't want to get in the car seat (they only leave a few blocks from me). In addition, this mom has no child care experience whatsoever. Her daughter was adopted at 9 months so she has no experience around infants period. It is very annoying when I hear people say "oh I'll just watch a few kids", like its that easy. I also know their house is on the market and that will turn away people too. Who wants to deal with a new provider that may or may not be moving? So, I made sure to clearly explain that two weeks payment was still due even if her daughter was not attending and that I would not be holding a spot if the stay at home mom thing does not work for her. I have a VERY strong feeling that they would be back and I have no problem taking them back but I am not going to say that to her. If I don't hear anything, then I will start advertising as soon as the baby is born because then I will have more of a concrete start date in mind. I'm 36 weeks right now.
missnikki 06:21 AM 04-18-2011
Sounds like she either thinks you are stupid, or is just being foolish. Either way, what a maroon. You have the right idea.
wdmmom 06:33 AM 04-18-2011
The way I see it is that she relinquished her slot in the daycare. If she chooses to return at a later date, she will need to see if a spot is available and go through the interview process all over again. With no deposit in hand and a tentative start date, you are not obligated to provide her with anything. I would tell her that you will hold a spot up to 3 months with a 1 months deposit. No deposit, no spot, no guarantee.

AND...

I hope she gave you your minimum notice to get out of her contract!
cheerfuldom 06:36 AM 04-18-2011
oh yeah I already offered some options about holding a spot but she seems to think they are done with daycare and not wanting anything but to term completely. I just really think she will be back. She has never been a stay at home mom and I don't see her being able to adjust to that and start her own daycare. She is super nice but very scatterbrained, unorganized and not an authority figure at all. The kids are going to run ALL over her and she won't last long. I really think she will be back to work by the summer's end. Plus the house is for sale, they have a dog, no set up for daycare and lots working against the situation. I don't think she has any idea about what it will be like to watch even her own kid all day. They NEVER missed a day here! I'm not holding a spot or waiting on them or anything.
nannyde 07:02 AM 04-18-2011
I wouldn't even worry about whether or not she becomes a stay at home Mom or a babysitter. What would matter to me is if I have the child or I don't. What they do when they leave doesn't really matter.

You think her success will depend on her being able to handle her kid and possibly other kids in her home. Usually it doesn't come to that. They may try a couple of months of it but soon their deal is just finding free or cheap day care part time and then to full time. She can work on the weekends or evenings... or find something during the day where she has care built in. The point is she has a ton of options of what can happen. SAHM or babysitter is just one of them.

There is a huge market for newbie cheap day care providers who do as they are told and take a small amount of pay. These providers are often ones who had their kid in day care and want to provide what they couldn't get because they believe they SHOULD get it. It only takes a few months of being taken advantage of and dealing with other people's kids to realize why the rules were in place.

In the meantime her clients will get cheap day care and be able to do as they wish. Even if it only works for a few months... it is very valuable to the ones who get the cheap and easy.

I would just require the two weeks notice and tell her she will love being a daycare provider. Good luck and hope she fills up quickly and has great clients. Then forget about her and go on your way....... it doesn't really matter what happens. The liklihood of her coming back to you isn't that high. She may be just trying to work around your birth and time off after the birth and just switch providers so she doesn't have to deal with it.
cheerfuldom 08:37 AM 04-18-2011
well like I said, I'm not holding my breath or anything waiting for her. Just being entertained about all her plans for the moment. It is possible that she is lying about all of this but I guess we'll see on that too. She is friends with a friend of mine and told her the same story. Eventually I'll hear about her because we live in the same neighborhood and know some of the same people. I really didn't see the maternity leave being the issue although thats possible. She remained the last time I had a baby and this time around, I actually have a better plan in place as far as the parents are concerned. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me because I'll find someone else and life will go on. I'm just laughing a bit at her emails and plans. I know her and her hubby well enough to know that there is like a 1% chance that this will work for them long term.
Reply Up