Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rash On Baby's Penis. Experienced Daycare Providers. Please Help!
makap 09:14 AM 03-04-2013
I started a new baby boy today who is 14 months old. I changed him just after lunch and noticed a reddish purplish blue rash on his penis. I did not see it there when I changed him this morning. It was a quick diaper change, his diaper was not wet when I changed him so I did not wipe him with a wipe.

The rash is mostly on the underside of his penis. I have never seen anything like this before. I have 3 boys of my own and have been providing care for many years.

Does anyone know what this could be?

I am a little disturbed by this with it being his very first day here. If this is something that is normal for him I wish his mother would have thought to mention it.
ABCDaycareMN 09:20 AM 03-04-2013
could it be a yeast infection?
Candy 09:34 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
could it be a yeast infection?
I thought males could only get yeast infection from females? But i don't know what it could be i have never herd of that type of rash being on a babies penis. Is he circed?
makap 09:34 AM 03-04-2013
No its not a yeast infection.

When I first saw it I thought OMG what do I do?

But now I am thinking maybe it is some kind of birthmark.
I just wish the mom would have said something.
daycare123 10:06 AM 03-04-2013
why don't you contact the mother and ask her?
littleblossoms 10:20 AM 03-04-2013
Did he going swimming on the weekend? It could be an infection from the pool.

Most likely an infection. I had a xhild with it from a pool
rmc20021 10:25 AM 03-04-2013
I would definitely call the mom and mention it to her asap. If by some chance it wasn't there before drop off (although it probably was, but I'd just want to cover my butt just in case it hadn't been noticed), then I'd want mom to know I was aware of it, and not trying to hide something.

It 'could' possibly be a yeast infection. Any contact with a contaminated area can grow in a warm moist area. My grandson got a yeast infection in his eyes before he was a week old by nursing when my daughter had contracted a yeast infection in her breast. It had been passed to him.

But I'd just want to make sure there was communication between myself and mom to be on the safe side.
Solandia 11:12 AM 03-04-2013
Call and ask mom what it is.

It sounds like a hemangioma to me... my 3yo has one on his scrotum, and has gotten flatter & less noticeable as he ages. It started out very puffy & got flatter & lighter as time goes on...at 14mo is was still pretty red&purple, although flat, not puffy anymore. My son also has mongolian spots (another type of birthmark that looks very much like bruising if you aren't used to seeing it), along his spine & across his buttocks.

ETA:I always forget to tell new caregivers about his marks, because they are not noticeable to me, and we so rarely have a stranger caregiver for out kids. But I have been called & asked about his birthmarks before, i feel silly for forgetting about them...
makap 12:30 PM 03-04-2013
Thank you everyone!

Mom just left and it is something he has had since birth. I was worried that it was something that happened here, (although he was not out of my sight for a second! ) It actually looked like a bruise. Mom did say she never thought about telling me about it because to her it is normal.

Originally Posted by Solandia:
Call and ask mom what it is.

It sounds like a hemangioma to me... my 3yo has one on his scrotum, and has gotten flatter & less noticeable as he ages. It started out very puffy & got flatter & lighter as time goes on...at 14mo is was still pretty red&purple, although flat, not puffy anymore. My son also has mongolian spots (another type of birthmark that looks very much like bruising if you aren't used to seeing it), along his spine & across his buttocks.

ETA:I always forget to tell new caregivers about his marks, because they are not noticeable to me, and we so rarely have a stranger caregiver for out kids. But I have been called & asked about his birthmarks before, i feel silly for forgetting about them...
Yes Solandia, I had looked it up earlier and I found information on Vascular malformations and hemangiomas. I had never seen anything like this before and I have been caring for my children, my grandchildren and other peoples children for over 35 years!
Willow 02:05 PM 03-04-2013
Glad you got it sorted and it wasn't anything serious!!!

Originally Posted by Candy:
I thought males could only get yeast infection from females? But i don't know what it could be i have never herd of that type of rash being on a babies penis. Is he circed?
Everyone has yeast in their bodies and anyone can suddenly have an overgrowth of it. Ears, mouth and diaper areas are common because they harbor it well when the immune system is compromised. It has nothing to do with gender or whether a male is circumcised or not.
Candy 06:26 PM 03-04-2013
I asked was he circed because i thought it could have been something from the surgery that caused it. But im glad you found out nothing was wrong.
Sereetta 05:18 AM 03-05-2013
Males can get yeast infections especially if they are on antibiotics. My son had yeast infections constantly his first year of life because he takes penicillin everyday and sometimes stronger antibiotics. Also if the kid has a reflux when he pees it can cause a rash or constant fevers because of infections.
Tags:birthmark, diaper issues
Reply Up