Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Take the day?
mema 06:49 AM 02-11-2014
1 day a week I only have 1 family (for a few more weeks anyway). Next week they are scheduled to come late on that day. I made an appt for myself for in the morning and asked that she send me a text before they leave their appt to make sure I am home. My kiddos also have the day off of school, so depending how long my appt takes, we were going to run a few errands. She offered today to take a vacation day. I have in my contract a 2 week notice must be given to use a day. I'm not sure if they are actually working that day anyway as it's President's day and they are gov't employees. Would you allow a vacation day and take the day off or since it is not 2 weeks notice, say no to the vacation day and let them choose to bring or not?
Cat Herder 06:56 AM 02-11-2014
So, basically, they are saying if they have to pay they are coming?
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:00 AM 02-11-2014
Depends on how much you want the day off. Personally, I would decline. If they were paying for the full day, and I was getting a half-day off out of it already, I would just be satisfied with that (and secretly hope they would decide to just keep kids home after all. Not likely, but maybe!).

I would say something like:

So nice of you to offer, but it's not necessary if you need me to watch your kids. I already can't wait to have *DD or DS names* home from school for an extra day. I love hanging out with them!

I try to guilt them into making the right choice.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:03 AM 02-11-2014
Plus, I would say something about not being prepared for a vacation day:

Besides, I hadn't budgeted for an unpaid vacation day so soon.

And leave it at that.
mema 08:13 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
So, basically, they are saying if they have to pay they are coming?
I guess. I just checked the city and county sites (not sure which one they work for-same buildings) and the buildings are closed. I guess I will have to narrow down a better time. When they originally said he was going to be late, it was 11 and now today it is 10. I can't afford vaca day right now with dh not working 3 weeks in March and not sure what is pay will be, so I will be telling her no vaca day. I guess we will see.
Cat Herder 08:17 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
I will be telling her no vaca day. I guess we will see.
This is how I would proceed as well. If you had caved, she would use this tactic again and again. Even when she has already decided to stay home.

Game, set, match.

Sorry about your hoped for day off.. It could still happen, though... She may have just been testing the waters a bit.
mema 08:35 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This is how I would proceed as well. If you had caved, she would use this tactic again and again. Even when she has already decided to stay home.

Game, set, match.

Sorry about your hoped for day off.. It could still happen, though... She may have just been testing the waters a bit.
Won't happen. I told her thanks for the offer, but I'll be available. She said great, works for her. Oh well, I was lucky (sort of) last summer and only had the one family, so had at least 1 day off a month. He can be a fairly easy kid (other than meal times). He usually naps almost 3 hours in the afternoon if he doesn't get a morning nap. I think it is also suppose to be in the 30's, so we could walk down to the park and my kids could skate and he could hang in the stoller
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 02-11-2014
I guess. I just checked the city and county sites (not sure which one they work for-same buildings) and the buildings are closed. I guess I will have to narrow down a better time. When they originally said he was going to be late, it was 11 and now today it is 10. I can't afford vaca day right now with dh not working 3 weeks in March and not sure what is pay will be, so I will be telling her no vaca day. I guess we will see.
"I'm sorry, that your plans changed DCM but I scheduled around the original time and can't accommodate you until 11 like you originally scheduled. I'll see you then."

NO vacation day.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:42 AM 02-11-2014
I would tell her what BlackCat said, too. Not before 11:00.
TheGoodLife 09:07 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I would tell her what BlackCat said, too. Not before 11:00.
Ditto for me!
daycarediva 10:24 AM 02-11-2014
No vaca day and no 10am, 11 as planned. I'm mean, but I have way too many families trying this crap on a daily basis. My give a damn is busted.
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My give a damn is busted.

mema 03:20 PM 02-26-2014
Remember this??? He was going to be late. She told me he had an eye appt (he's having surgery on it). Anyway, I've been telling her I need an updated immunization record. She brought it today. He had shots that morning-my policy is 24 hours out, so do them on a Friday or a day off. So not helping my day. I guess when I resend out contracts and my updated handbook, I'll have to rehighlight that along with my late fee policy.
daycarediva 04:38 PM 02-26-2014
Remember this??? He was going to be late. She told me he had an eye appt (he's having surgery on it). Anyway, I've been telling her I need an updated immunization record. She brought it today. He had shots that morning-my policy is 24 hours out, so do them on a Friday or a day off. So not helping my day. I guess when I resend out contracts and my updated handbook, I'll have to rehighlight that along with my late fee policy.
so she lied to you about the appt? (Eye dr=well child visit)
mema 07:20 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
so she lied to you about the appt? (Eye dr=well child visit)
Yes and I didn't question her about it because he is having surgery next month. I was kind of curious that day tho just because dcb was a little crabbier. I looked at his legs and didn't see any small marks and there were no bandaids, so I figured he was just tired
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 02-27-2014
I'd be tempted to have a bit of fun with this...

Give her back the imm record and say:

"Mom, there must be some mistake on this. I require all kids who have had imms to be excluded from care for 24 hours and I know you are aware of that policy too but this says DCB got his MMR on xx day....

He was here that next day so there must be a discrepancy on his records.

You might want to take this back to the doctor/clinic and see if they can correct it for you."

Then stand there and wait for her to figure out how to get out of that one....
mema 08:02 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd be tempted to have a bit of fun with this...

Give her back the imm record and say:

"Mom, there must be some mistake on this. I require all kids who have had imms to be excluded from care for 24 hours and I know you are aware of that policy too but this says DCB got his MMR on xx day....

He was here that next day so there must be a discrepancy on his records.

You might want to take this back to the doctor/clinic and see if they can correct it for you."

Then stand there and wait for her to figure out how to get out of that one....
Depending on how the rest of my day goes. He was actually here the same day-right after his appt. Oh, and I checked the email I sent her before she signed up and at that time my policy was 48 hours and I haven't actually given her the "updated" just 24 hours because I just changed it a few weeks ago and will be handing them out next week.
TheGoodLife 08:53 AM 02-27-2014
Depending on how the rest of my day goes. He was actually here the same day-right after his appt. Oh, and I checked the email I sent her before she signed up and at that time my policy was 48 hours and I haven't actually given her the "updated" just 24 hours because I just changed it a few weeks ago and will be handing them out next week.
One way or another, I hope you bring it to her attention that you are aware she broke policy. Otherwise she'll try to do it again. Sorry she's being such a pain
Tags:holiday rates, vacation paid
Reply Up