Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Book a Day
jojosmommy 03:59 PM 11-26-2011
One of my dcm told me she does 1 book a day from dec 1-25. All are wrapped and each morning their child picks out a new book, unwraps it and gets to read it with their parent. The book is then theirs to keep. She said is helps her childs excitement with the holidays and is less overwhelmed with opening presents when they go to family gatherings.

I liked the idea simply to introduce the love of reading. Has anyone done this? I am thinking about doing it for my 2 yr old.
iheartkids 04:27 PM 11-26-2011
You just got me thinking of another great idea! (my kids have tons of books already...) I'm going to wrap 25 gifts of "love". In each box will be a note written to my daughter of something special. Not sure if I want to go with special sentiments written to her (such as "I love you because...) or special actions (a chore-free day or 1 hour of just mommy/daughter time). I love the book idea too but we have quite a collection already!
kendallina 05:09 PM 11-26-2011
We're going to do 12 books this year. It'll be the first year that we've done it and we do already have a ton of books, but my DD (3) has been sooo into books lately, we figure it's a good time to get her new ones.
Sunchimes 05:39 PM 11-26-2011
I saw a blogger talking about doing this. They only had a dozen or so Christmas books, so they were filling out the days with library books. Her hope was that each year, the grandparents would give them one book appropriate to their age, and in a few years, they would have their own collection. I love the idea.
SunflowerMama 06:00 PM 11-27-2011
We've done this for the last couple of years and my girls love it! They only get 3 gifts at Christmas so this is a great addition. All the books are Christmas themed and we've used the same 25-30 books each year. I put them away after the New Year so to them they feel new.
Unregistered 06:32 PM 11-27-2011
We do this as our count down to Christmas. I wrap up 25 books, with the last one always being Twas The Night Before Christmas. They start out being winter themed and move into Christmas themed as we get closer to Christmas. One book talks about putting up a Christmas Tree, so we put our tree up that day. Another about building a snowman, making gingerbread men, etc. I try to match an activity or craft to match up with the story.
2ndFamilyDC 08:05 AM 11-28-2011
Love this idea of a book a day.

If I had little kids I would implement it.

There will be a warehouse sale at Scholastic books soon around here
and I think I will go buy some new books for my daycare
and wrap them and let the kids unwrap one a day and I will
read it.
SilverSabre25 09:03 AM 11-28-2011
Neat idea!

Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
We've done this for the last couple of years and my girls love it! They only get 3 gifts at Christmas so this is a great addition. All the books are Christmas themed and we've used the same 25-30 books each year. I put them away after the New Year so to them they feel new.
I like this variant, lol. Cheaper!

Every year when we were growing up, my mom would buy us each a big box full of books--usually 5-8 I think. I started this last year with my DD and am continuing it. My kids get 6 presents each on Christmas morning--3 from us, 3 from Santa. One of the ones from us is always the books, and I try to do some clothing so that getting new clothes is fun. There are often socks in the stockings . We also give them a gift to unwrap Christmas Eve and it's always new PJ's that they then wear to bed that night, and usually something small to play with that evening.
odskids 02:02 PM 11-28-2011
I have done this for years with my own children. It is our countdown to Christmas. I have 25 books wrapped underneath the tree right now. We unwrap and read one book each night up to Christmas eve, where we have a special one wrapped, The Night Before Christmas.
This has been a wonderful tradition. My boys are now 18 and 13 and they still love this!
Each book we read and open at night then gets read to the daycare children the next day!
Tags:book
Reply Up