Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Local News Story - Kid Falls Out Of Car
BumbleBee 04:55 AM 05-08-2013
http://touch.woodtv.com/10023/6110480
MamaBearCanada 05:04 AM 05-08-2013
That's crazy. She needs a different car seat if that really is the case. The harness in the car seat I have for my 4year old DCB he can't open - and he is bright and of average strength. it boggles my mind that an 18m old could undo the chest strap, lower harness clip, & lean over & open the door - let alone do all that without the mother noticing.
daycarediva 05:17 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
That's crazy. She needs a different car seat if that really is the case. The harness in the car seat I have for my 4year old DCB he can't open - and he is bright and of average strength. it boggles my mind that an 18m old could undo the chest strap, lower harness clip, & lean over & open the door - let alone do all that without the mother noticing.
More than likely his straps were too loose and he was able to wiggle out. My ds could unhook himself at 2. We bought a VERY high quality carseat and it was installed properly and tightened properly.

So glad he is ok though, this could have easily been so much worse.
sharlan 07:10 AM 05-08-2013
At 18 mos my granddaughter could unlatch every carseat we tried. She got so bad about it that no one could go anywhere alone with her. Someone had to be sitting next to her to prevent her from unlatching the carseat.

The first time she did it, I was driving down the freeway at 70 mph when I checked my rearview mirror and saw her standing against the back of the van doors. I "thought" she was asleep.
nanglgrl 07:14 AM 05-08-2013
I was this child once except they didn't use cars eats back then. I fell out of the car on the freeway and didn't even have a scratch.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 05-08-2013
"the mother, who asked not to be identified"........ Um, I wonder why??

"but she never thought he would get out of the car because of the vehicle's child locks.......But those locks weren't on"

Well, DUH!! Then how are they suppose to work if they aren't on!

"he's only 18 months, but I've caught him a couple times unbuckling himself."

Just those statements alone tell me that "someone" needs some car seat safety and possibly some parent-supervision education.

This mother should be cited for stupidity if anything.
MamaBearCanada 07:21 AM 05-08-2013
I stand corrected - I guess it isn't that implausible!
Willow 07:44 AM 05-08-2013
I had a two year old foster kiddo I had to zip tie his straps to keep him in (recommended by state patrol and approved by licensing) because he too was lickity split and always waited until I hit the highway.

Difference was after he did it the first time I remained hyper aware. No windows down, door locks always on, and I didn't turn the radio up so I could always hear what was going on.

If she knew it was a problem she'd encountered in the past then for cripes sake do something to prevent it and future injuries in the future then kwim?
Oneluckymom 08:20 AM 05-08-2013
At first I thought there is no way....then I read the other comments

She should have been way more cautious. No wonder she remained anonymous.
MarinaVanessa 08:22 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
More than likely his straps were too loose and he was able to wiggle out. My ds could unhook himself at 2. We bought a VERY high quality carseat and it was installed properly and tightened properly.

Originally Posted by Willow:
I had a two year old foster kiddo I had to zip tie his straps to keep him in (recommended by state patrol and approved by licensing) because he too was lickity split and always waited until I hit the highway.

Difference was after he did it the first time I remained hyper aware. No windows down, door locks always on, and I didn't turn the radio up so I could always hear what was going on.

If she knew it was a problem she'd encountered in the past then for cripes sake do something to prevent it and future injuries in the future then kwim?
These are all things that I thought about while reading the article. I use carseats that have difficult 5 harness buckles to remove and chest harness clips that need a lot of pressure to release so that stuff like this doesn't happen to me. I don't know an 18mo yet that can unclip themselves or squirm out of the straps, heck even my 3yo's have to wait for me to unbuckle them because they can't do it and I STILL lock my windows, have the child safety door lock turned on and constantly look into my rear view mirror (one that comes in my van specifically so that you can watch all of the passengers at the same time) because I'm so paranoid ... I mean, your door opens and you don't notice the noise??
MyAngels 08:29 AM 05-08-2013
Anybody else have a giggle when they envisioned the other accident caused by the driver who forgot to put his vehicle in park when he jumped out to save the child?

This could have had such a horrible outcome, hopefully this mom will take a good lesson from it.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Anybody else have a giggle when they envisioned the other accident caused by the driver who forgot to put his vehicle in park when he jumped out to save the child?

This could have had such a horrible outcome, hopefully this mom will take a good lesson from it.
Yeah, and people wonder why I never allowed my provider to transport my kids?

People are really bad/careless drivers now days.
youretooloud 08:37 AM 05-08-2013
I had a daycare girl who did this. I think she was almost two. She was a HANDFULL! She was THAT kid.

So, after she jumped/fell out of her moving car, I strapped her in a few carseats I had here. Then we all walked into the other room. She showed up in the room within minutes. (I figured if I had one seat she couldn't get out of, i'd give it to them, but she could get out of both of them)

Finally, her Mom (who couldn't afford to buy a new carseat) Put the hard part of a hook and loop tape on both sides of the button buckles, so she would stop pushing it since it hurt. It hurt mom too, but it wasn't impossible...it just made it uncomfortable.
MyAngels 08:54 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah, and people wonder why I never allowed my provider to transport my kids?

People are really bad/careless drivers now days.
Totally with you there. I'm a non-transporting provider and was an anti-transporting mom .

Well, unless it was my mom driving the city bus (she was a bus driver then) that my children's daycare center rode when they went to the library . For some reason I could never say no to that .
sharlan 08:55 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

I went as far as sewing the straps together on my granddaughter's carseat, until I thought about what would happen in an accident. Someone else wouldn't know they were sewn. I never thought about using zip ties.
BumbleBee 08:57 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

I did this same thing 2 years ago at a car accident. Pulled over while hittin the breaks, *thought* I slammed it into park and bolted out of the car towards the accident. Next thing I know my car is rollin away.

I felt like a moron.
ABCDaycareMN 09:03 AM 05-08-2013

This was my son also. He got out when I was driving on a freeway. I had to emergency stop to strap him back in. That was terrifying! Luckily I had a coupe!

When I was young I fell out of the can when my mom was driving 15mph. I was/am very mechanical. All I had to do was watch my mom unbuckle me and I could do it and did and unlocked the door and I fell out with the whole car seat. Not even a scrape on me.
Play Care 09:12 AM 05-08-2013
I'm terrible because my first thought was "At least this wasn't a day care provider's fault"
Country Kids 09:24 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm terrible because my first thought was "At least this wasn't a day care provider's fault"
I thought the same thing! All the stories are about people being with their own parents and getting out or their own children.
daycarediva 09:47 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

if anyone has a kid that can unbuckle or ever encounters it, these locks, put on REVERSE, are the ONLY thing that worked for my houdini!
Solandia 09:54 AM 05-08-2013

if anyone has a kid that can unbuckle or ever encounters it, these locks, put on REVERSE, are the ONLY thing that worked for my houdini!
My Mr Molecule Man had no problems with those. He was the one that started his mom's car at 18/19mo...found the keys, put the right key in the ignition & started it. I didn't go anywhere with him...for good reason.
sharlan 11:10 AM 05-08-2013

I gave up on those the day I bought them. I returned them to the store. I have the magnetic tot locks. The kids try, but can't quite figure it out. Even my 7 1/2 yo granddaughter can't do them.
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I gave up on those the day I bought them. I returned them to the store. I have the magnetic tot locks. The kids try, but can't quite figure it out. Even my 7 1/2 yo granddaughter can't do them.
I gave up on those too because my DS figured them out in only a couple seconds.

I too, use the tot-locks

I invested in them when I first opened and have never had a kid figure them out.

I have however, had a cupboard door torn off it's hinges......
melilley 11:31 AM 05-08-2013
I'm glad I have child safety locks in my vehicle. Yeah they might get out of their seat, but at least they can't open the door!
daycarediva 12:51 PM 05-08-2013
My son couldn't manage those locks when they were reversed, but if they were forward facing, about a minute.

Some kids really do give you a run for your money!
MarinaVanessa 12:53 PM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I too, use the tot-locks.

I invested in them when I first opened and have never had a kid figure them out.

I have however, had a cupboard door torn off it's hinges......
I wish I could use Tot-Locks . I bought a kit and ended up not being able ti install them in my cabinets. Now i have a baggy of one key and 8 locks sitting in a box in my garage that I'm hoping to get $5 for this weekend at a yard sale. I so wish I could have used them .
Heidi 12:55 PM 05-08-2013
I did that to my mother and a poor taxi driver in Germany in 1965, only I held on to the door as he went around the corner. My mother was able to reach over and pull me back in.

Apparently, my mother swore she saw the taxi driver age 10 years in front of her eyes.

In the days before car seats and seat belts...
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I wish I could use Tot-Locks . I bought a kit and ended up not being able ti install them in my cabinets. Now i have a baggy of one key and 8 locks sitting in a box in my garage that I'm hoping to get $5 for this weekend at a yard sale. I so wish I could have used them .
Why don't they work on your cupboard doors?
Reply Up