Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Wording Letter to Employees
Unregistered 07:21 AM 11-05-2013
I recently moved my home daycare into a building and opened as a center, coming up on the one year anniversary, I have decided that I was making more money and had less stress working out of my home. I need to write a letter to employees letting them know that I have decided to move back home. I will still need employees but, one will have their hours reduced by about ten hours per week.
I plan to write a similar yet different letter explaining changes to each employee, so do I address it To all employees or should I do Dear S. or something else?

This is what I have,
To All Employees,
I have recently made the difficult choice to move the daycare back into my home. I would like for you to continue working for me, but it will mean a slight decrease in the amount of hours per week I will be needing you. I believe I will be needing you around 30 hours per week, but will not know for sure until I find out which families will continue to need care.
I will be closing Dec 25-Jan 1st in order to get everything moved back and ready to re-open January 2nd.
Thanks, Director

Any help with wording would be great TIA

Also how soon would you notify parents? I am sure most will continue to bring me their children but a few are questionable.
Leigh 07:32 AM 11-05-2013
Personally, I wouldn't do this by letter. I would sit down with each employee individually and discuss the matter.
TwinKristi 07:41 AM 11-05-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Personally, I wouldn't do this by letter. I would sit down with each employee individually and discuss the matter.
This... You said you only need ONE of them and only about TEN hours a week. This letter would lead me (as an employee) to believe you would need ALL of them about THIRTY hours a week. You don't need people bad mouthing you for a bait and switch and leaving them without a job before the holidays. Let these people find new jobs before the holidays and figure out which one would work best for YOU at home and offer them the 10 hours a week.
spinnymarie 07:50 AM 11-05-2013
If you are personalizing it for each employee, you definitely need to state their name at the top. You might call a small meeting and address the matter openly, and then tell them you have a personal letter for each of them explaining their specific circumstances.

Dear (name)
I have recently made the difficult choice to move the daycare back into my home. I really appreciate your work at my center, and I'd love to continue our work relationship at my home daycare. Unfortunately, the move will mean a decrease in children, and therefor a decrease in staffing. I estimate being able to provide about 30 hours per week, but will not know for sure until I find out which families will continue to need care.
I will be closing Dec 25-Jan 1st in order to get everything moved back and ready to re-open January 2nd. Please let me know if you will be continuing as an employee by Dec. 24th
Thanks, Director (name)
Unregistered 08:47 AM 11-11-2013
Thanks for the input. now if someone wouldn't mind helping me with the wording for my family letter I know there is a better way to explain the process of selecting who stays and who goes. Or maybe I shouldn't include it at all?
Unregistered 08:49 AM 11-11-2013
oops here is what I have:

Dear Families,
I am writing this letter as a formal notice that I have made the tough decision to move my daycare back into my home. I am trying to arrange the move around holiday time off. I will be closing the doors here at this location on December 24 and will reopen at my home on January 2nd 2014. After moving I will only have enough openings to accommodate 12 children at any given time. Spaces will be filled on a variety of factors, which include; first off those that are willing to make the additional 4-5 minute drive to my home which is (short explanation of where it is located). Full time spots will be given first priority. Part time spots will be determined by those with a set schedule and seniority, I will then give any others the choice to take the days that are not full.
Sincerely,
Margarete 09:01 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
oops here is what I have:

Dear Families,
I am writing this letter as a formal notice that I have made the tough decision to move my daycare back into my home. I am trying to arrange the move around holiday time off. I will be closing the doors here at this location on December 24 and will reopen at my home on January 2nd 2014. After moving I will only have enough openings to accommodate 12 children at any given time. Spaces will be filled on a variety of factors, which include; first off those that are willing to make the additional 4-5 minute drive to my home which is (short explanation of where it is located). Full time spots will be given first priority. Part time spots will be determined by those with a set schedule and seniority, I will then give any others the choice to take the days that are not full.
Sincerely,
I would include a date for them to let you know they want to continue at your home, and a date you will let them know you have room for them by. You don't want people assuming they have a spot who are full time, but not communicating that with you, and it would be good to know who is interested in staying on as early as possible to help with your employee planning. This will also give them time to find new arrangements if you don't have room to accommodate them.
Reply Up