Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emergency Backup Care in MN
Unregistered 12:04 PM 01-20-2014
I received a call about a parent needing care for their 3 month old child tomorrow because their regular childcare provider had to close for an emergency through tomorrow. I could take the child, but have never come across this situation before. The family's mother is a friend of my parents so this is the only reason I am considering the possibility. What are the rules on caring for a child in this situation? Do I still need the parents to fill out all of the forms before the child is in my care? Any information on this would be appreciated.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I received a call about a parent needing care for their 3 month old child tomorrow because their regular childcare provider had to close for an emergency through tomorrow. I could take the child, but have never come across this situation before. The family's mother is a friend of my parents so this is the only reason I am considering the possibility. What are the rules on caring for a child in this situation? Do I still need the parents to fill out all of the forms before the child is in my care? Any information on this would be appreciated.
In MN, whether the child is drop in (emergency or planned) or a regular attendee, you are required to have ALL enrollment forms filled out and on file BEFORE caring for the child.

This includes immunizations, admission forms, chemical dependency and abuse/neglect statements etc.

EVERYTHING you would normally give a new child enrolling EXCEPT food program info.

HTH
TaylorTots 12:46 PM 01-20-2014
I'm in Iowa and in order to provide back up care I require to have a backup care contract signed as well as my other info forms completed. I have had a phone call at 8pm needing care the next morning and when I explained that yes, I had an opening but the required papers needed signed BEFORE I agree to care for their child, they came over and talked, filled them out and then I gave my approval.

I have never accepted a dck as backup without everything signed and a face to face meeting. I know emergencies happen, but I expect you to prepare for those -- I am not accepting a kid and having it be a disaster because of the child not being a good match or not having needed information on forms (allergies/emergency contacts/etc).
Tags:drop in care rates, drop in contract, drop in policy
Reply Up