Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Florida Providers I have a Couple Questions for You
ghostlykisses 04:28 PM 02-26-2010
How long did the licensing process take? I have some prospective clients already!

I am really confused about the whole process in general. I guess I am going to have to call someone at FL DCF and ask some questions.

Do *I* have to run my own background checks or do they do it?

I am taking the online courses. Do I have to take a seperate test? Is the test online or do I have to take those in person. Do I really need to memorize where to find certain rules in the administrative code????

I live on a road with no lines, no median, no posted speed limit (that I know of, I guess I would have to look) and no body of water on MY property. BUT I do have one of those dips near the road for drainage. Is that considered a ditch and will require me to install a fence?

Can I take the Red Cross's infant/child first aid and cpr course as long as it is in person and not online?

Am I correct in assuming that rabies is the required vaccine for pets? Any others required?

I hope some one here is from Florida and can help answer some of my questions. Thanks in advance
theflyingflamingo 04:52 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses:
How long did the licensing process take? I have some prospective clients already! - depends on your County Licensing Dept. It normally takes about 3 months they say.

I am really confused about the whole process in general. I guess I am going to have to call someone at FL DCF and ask some questions. - in some area of FL you only have to Register others you have to get Licensed. Check with your county they may offer an orientation class on Home day care centers

Do *I* have to run my own background checks or do they do it? In Broward I have to go down and get a back ground check so does anyone over 12 in the home.

I am taking the online courses. Do I have to take a seperate test? Is the test online or do I have to take those in person. Do I really need to memorize where to find certain rules in the administrative code????
yes you have to take the exam in person- once you get to the end of an online course it will tell you what to do to sign up for the exams. I think you can also go to the FAQ section and it explains it too. No you don't have to know the admin code #'s - it explains that in the study guide.- I was relived!! I'm taking 4 test tomorrow-wish me luck.

I live on a road with no lines, no median, no posted speed limit (that I know of, I guess I would have to look) and no body of water on MY property. BUT I do have one of those dips near the road for drainage. Is that considered a ditch and will require me to install a fence? - no idea

Can I take the Red Cross's infant/child first aid and cpr course as long as it is in person and not online? Has to be from someone that can certify you.- IE American Red Cross

Am I correct in assuming that rabies is the req
uired vaccine for pets? Any others required?-yes

I hope some one here is from Florida and can help answer some of my questions. Thanks in advance
I'm in the process of becoming licensed in Broward County - the requirements vary. The state has one set of rules and regulations and the county expand from there. So it really depends on where you live. I can answer a few of your questions: look above
ghostlykisses 05:06 PM 02-26-2010
Thank you for answering and good luck on those tests!

I am in Polk County so we are one of the counties that requires everyone to get a license. If I only lived 5 miles down the road I could register with Osceola County, but registering sounds like it is almost the same thing anyway.

3 months is a long time. Wow. I wonder if you get into super awful trouble if you start watching children from one family while you are waiting on the license?

Where do you go for the background check? I know we are clear because I am not in the habit of commiting crimes and my husband works in the security industry and he has to have them for work so it is just a formality. Do they cost money?
theflyingflamingo 05:45 PM 02-26-2010
You can watch one family with mulitiple children without a license. Have you checked out www.myflorida.com/childcare?
Michael 07:45 PM 02-26-2010
Likewise we have a lot of the forms and requirements in pdf form here on one page:
https://www.daycare.com/florida/
ghostlykisses 06:24 AM 02-27-2010
Yes I have been to the myflorida.com/childcare pages and researched a lot. I have even started to take the required courses. When I was reading the rules it sounded like I could watch one family's children with out a license but when I was taking the course on rules and regulations it scared me because it said having any childcare in your home with out a license is a misdemenor, etc, etc.

Thanks for replying everyone
theflyingflamingo 05:32 AM 02-28-2010
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses:
Yes I have been to the myflorida.com/childcare pages and researched a lot. I have even started to take the required courses. When I was reading the rules it sounded like I could watch one family's children with out a license but when I was taking the course on rules and regulations it scared me because it said having any childcare in your home with out a license is a misdemenor, etc, etc.

Thanks for replying everyone
You can have one family- I double checked at my orientation with an inspector.
Tags:florida licensing
Reply Up