Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Do?
DaycareMom 11:21 AM 11-17-2011
So I posted this a week or so ago:

OK so I just started watching this little girl about 2 months ago. Her parents are friends of my mother. She is only here Thursdays and Fridays. For the week of Thanksgiving, I have taken those days off so they asked if they could switch days and come Tuesday/Wednesday. I said "Sure if you would like to pay me more". He was like "Are you serious?" He was really pissed off and I tried to explain to him that those are the rules and that I don't want to go against them because I didn't want it to happen again. He said "Please we promise, just this one time?" I said, "OK just this one time, but it can't happen again" He was pleased, but after thinking about it, I am very upset.

Is there anyway to go back and say "sorry but I can't do that"?

I know it's my fault and I should have stuck to my guns, but I felt awkward since they are friends with my mom.

What would you do?

So I decided to stick with what I said and just do it this one time, so last week dcm dropped off dcg and I asked "which days do you need me for the week of Thanksgiving?"

She says, "did he really ask you that? We will not need you and we know it's your holiday so don't worry about it" I asked if she was sure and she said yes. Do they not communicate? How did she not know he asked?

Fast forward to this week. dcd drops off dcg and pays me for this week but not next. If they are not coming next week, shouldn't they pay me this week?

I am confused as to what they want since the parents told me 2 different things.

Should I ask for payment or just leave it alone?

What would you do/say?
jennajury 11:32 AM 11-17-2011
Do you have them next week at all? and do you have it in your contract that you are to be paid even if they don't come? If you are expecting to be paid and they know this then I would ask them to pay you this week. I know it's awkard (I hate asking for my payment especially when they know it's due) however don't short change yourself, they wouldn't like it if their work "forgot" to pay them!
DaycareMom 11:39 AM 11-17-2011
Yes it's in my contract but I think now they think since they don't need me that they don't have to pay me. The whole situation has become super awkward!
jennajury 11:44 AM 11-17-2011
Oh trust me I completely understand! I have had to have a few awkard conversations with parents about my contract and payment too. However if they have the contract and KNOW you expect to get paid you should really confront them about it. If you don't they will think "hey I didn't pay her this time I can get away with it next time" Not all but some parents will try and push the limits when it comes to paying you. If they act upset about it just say "we can all sit down together and go over my contract again if you would like" I had to do that one time and the parents just hushed about it and never brought it up again. If they feel they can guilt you into doing this for them then they will try. I have also told one particular parent that i couldn't do that for them because my other parents pay a certain amount too for my care, so it wouldn't be fair. I know it's awkard and nervewrecking! but trust me it is so much better to clear the air now then being shortchanged, like I said, they expect to get paid, so, so should you!
SimpleMom 11:50 AM 11-17-2011
All great advice I agree you should talk to them. If it's in the contract that Holidays are paid, then maybe give them a heads up that if payment is late (meaning they plan to pay you next week's pay late) then there is XX amount of a late fee. I've had to do that before, and yes, it is soooo akward for me. Really out of my comfort zone, but it helps!
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 11-17-2011
Dear Parent,

Just to clarify in case there are any misunderstandings about holiday policies, your balance due for the week of November 21 is $______ and is due on or before ________. Payments are due regardless of attendance. Thank you

Provider.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late payment, paid holidays, parents - changing things, provider - burnout risk, thanksgiving
Reply Up