Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Screams Over Toys That Make Noise!!!
delferka 08:26 AM 03-15-2016
I have an 8 month old baby that loses her mind when any of the toys sing or make any kind of noise!
We have all kind of learning toy that the older children use and I cannot take the batteries out of them. It's not like I can keep her in a different room because we're all in the same space.
When she hears/sees anything that lights up and makes noise, forget it! What am I to do?
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by delferka:
I have an 8 month old baby that loses her mind when any of the toys sing or make any kind of noise!
We have all kind of learning toy that the older children use and I cannot take the batteries out of them. It's not like I can keep her in a different room because we're all in the same space.
When she hears/sees anything that lights up and makes noise, forget it! What am I to do?
Oh my goodness...I've never heard of a baby doing that before... Yikes!

I do not have ANY battery operated toys and as a matter of fact, it's one of my program highlights...no toys with automated lights or sounds and absolutely NOTHING that uses batteries or electricity.

I guess I would ask the parents about it and see what they say...I can see how some of these items could frighten a child.

What types of items are you referring to that you couldn't remove the batteries? Can you turn the volume down?

I cant think of a single "learning" item that would be required or necessary so Im just curios as to which ones would be impossible to alter for the time being...
Unregistered 09:01 AM 03-15-2016
Sensory issue? Do the lights and sounds overwhelm her?
delferka 09:20 AM 03-15-2016
I have a large wooden cube that we put blocks into and it sings. I also have a leap pad for the older children that of course makes noise. We have a little pad that has gears on it and it spins with a song. The volume is down so low that you can barely hear it.
There are many learning toys that require batteries. That it not the problem. They are good toys
delferka 09:24 AM 03-15-2016
I'm not sure how you can use a leap pad without sound.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by delferka:
I have a large wooden cube that we put blocks into and it sings. I also have a leap pad for the older children that of course makes noise. We have a little pad that has gears on it and it spins with a song. The volume is down so low that you can barely hear it.
There are many learning toys that require batteries. That it not the problem. They are good toys
Oh, I am not negating the fact that they can be used for learning, I am just saying the noise, lights and sounds are not necessary.

Anything the kids learn from those toys can be taught in other ways. Without lights and/or sounds.

Maybe until the DCG has adjusted better to being in your care, you can put those particular items away.

Re-introduce them later and see how she is then.
Unregistered 10:45 AM 03-15-2016
I agree. No electronics are needed for learning. Children learn from using their own minds and bodies instead of things being done to or for them. I let my own children play with electronics when I want to make my life easier! I'm not a purist But I definitely don't believe they need any of it for learning.
Unregistered 10:54 AM 03-15-2016
My babies love the toys that make music, the baby laptop is a huge fav in my home. I wouldn't say they're learning toys but they're FUN and that's what I offer.
delferka 02:08 PM 03-15-2016
They are not electronics. We don't do any television or ipads or anything to that sort. It's a few little things that talk.
Unregistered 02:15 PM 03-15-2016
I get what you mean, thats what I am also referring to. Battery operated. No battery operated toys for children especially infants and toddlers. Battery operated is electronic.
Angelsj 02:27 PM 03-15-2016
I had one that vibrated and had music. One little boy hated that thing. He would scream every time someone did it. I got rid of it.
Brittany 02:53 PM 03-15-2016
How long have you had the baby in your care? Is it a new to situation, or a new behavior development for the child? How does she respond to music/ toys that make noise without batteries, like musical instruments?
spedmommy4 07:27 PM 03-15-2016
I worked with one child in early intervention that had a similar sensitivity to noisy toys. His mom had a lot of them in the home and this is what we did to desensitize the little one.

Started with- one toy on at a time. Lowest noise setting. After a few days, we increased to volume two. (Or you could try two on low volume)

For toys with no volume control, we used proximity. We would start with the toy on the other side of the room and gradually move it closer. (Eg: day one- other side of the room, day two a foot closer, etc)

We used his comfort with the noise to gauge how much we could increase the noise. After about a month, 3-5 toys could be playing and it didn't phase him at all.

The key is to increase the noise level a little at a time. In the interim, you might try headphones for things like the leap pads to silence the sound on some of the devices.
Thriftylady 07:34 PM 03-15-2016
They have that effect on me also. I really just can't deal with all the noise. I have never done noise well. Any toys that come here with batteries, have them quickly removed. If they can't be played with without batteries, they don't live here. Some days just the noise of the kids makes me anxious, but I have found ways to deal with that, and I remind about indoor voices quite often with this group! But the mechanical "talking" and "singing" and beeping and ringing I honestly can't deal with, and I refuse to even think about finding a way to force myself to deal. I have had kids say "I am bringing my leap pad tomorrow". And I looked at him and said "well just know if you do daddy will be taking it to work with him". When asked why I simply looked at DCB and said "because you know the rules, no food or toys from home at Mrs. Thrifty's house".
Ariana 08:12 AM 03-16-2016
She probably has sensory issues and is not used to playing with these toys at home or the parents got rid of them for this very reason. I would ask the parents about it. Some children on the Austism Spectrum can have peculiar reactions to sensory stimuli like this...of course typically developing children also can have these reactions. Have you noticed any other peculiar behaviors?
Tags:scared, scared of toys
Reply Up