Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parking in Driveway
Baby Beluga 05:01 PM 04-17-2019
Wording help? Letter? Face to Face? Email?

We have a two car driveway. Most of my parents park on the street to pick their children up, but 2 park in the driveway. One had parked in the driveway for years. The other, just started.

Anyway, my husband parks his truck in the driveway and it is really bothering him that parents are parking in the driveway. He doesn't want someone to hit his truck or leave an oil stain.

I always thought parking in the driveway was safer.

How do I tell parents to no longer park in the driveway? Especially the parent who has parked in it for years? Just send out a notice that says please do not park in the driveway? Do I give a reason without throwing DH under the bus? Passively aggressively park my own car in the driveway so there is no space?
boy_mom 06:26 PM 04-17-2019
I would have a quick note to send home, "effective xx/xx/xxxx, access to the driveway will no longer be available. Parking spaces are available along the front of the house (or wherever is available)."

Then I would put out cones along the end of the driveway, because you know people will continue to use the driveway I'd they can. You can get small cones on Amazon or target.
Baby Beluga 06:59 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

We have a two car driveway. Most of my parents park on the street to pick their children up, but 2 park in the driveway. One had parked in the driveway for years. The other, just started.

Anyway, my husband parks his truck in the driveway and it is really bothering him that parents are parking in the driveway. He doesn't want someone to hit his truck or leave an oil stain.

How do I tell parents to no longer park in the driveway? Especially the parent who has parked in it for years? Just send out a notice that says please do not park in the driveway? Do I give a reason without throwing DH under the bus? Passively aggressively park my own car in the driveway so there is no space?
This read wrong. Do I give a reason and if so how can I do it without throwing DH under the bus?

Sometimes I have a difficult time articulating my thoughts. Especially when flustered. Sorry guys
Baby Beluga 07:00 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I would have a quick note to send home, "effective xx/xx/xxxx, access to the driveway will no longer be available. Parking spaces are available along the front of the house (or wherever is available)."

Then I would put out cones along the end of the driveway, because you know people will continue to use the driveway I'd they can. You can get small cones on Amazon or target.
Short and sweet, thank you
I wondered about cones...
boy_mom 05:56 AM 04-18-2019
If parents ask why, I'd just say it has to do with liability and insurance, that way you dont have to mention your husband. Short, sweet and vague!!!
My3cents 07:04 PM 04-18-2019

A quick note home....

not knowing your set up... going to ask, Why would you want the parents to park on the street and not in your driveway? I would think it would be safer for the children. Most of my parents know where my hubs parking spot is, but if all other spots by chance happen to be taken up....The hubs has to have understanding that this is my business and how I make my money and to have patience. When you have your interviews with your parents going over where they should park should be talked about and clear. I understand your husbands point too, he has worked and just want's to come home and be home. A note home to the parents and if that doesn't work put up cones for a few weeks until they figure out you really don't want them to park in his spot. 3cents
lovemykidstoo 07:19 AM 04-19-2019
Originally Posted by My3cents:
A quick note home....

not knowing your set up... going to ask, Why would you want the parents to park on the street and not in your driveway? I would think it would be safer for the children. Most of my parents know where my hubs parking spot is, but if all other spots by chance happen to be taken up....The hubs has to have understanding that this is my business and how I make my money and to have patience. When you have your interviews with your parents going over where they should park should be talked about and clear. I understand your husbands point too, he has worked and just want's to come home and be home. A note home to the parents and if that doesn't work put up cones for a few weeks until they figure out you really don't want them to park in his spot. 3cents
When my son comes home for the summer or when my daughter starts school in the fall, I send a note on my daycare fb page and say please don't park in this spot or behind this car due to my daughter leaving for school. Has this family left oil marks in your driveway before?
Baby Beluga 10:09 AM 04-19-2019

Originally Posted by My3cents:
A quick note home....

I do agree that parking in the driveway is safer. Especially because we are on a corner street.

DH primarily works from home and is almost always home and is already parked in the driveway during pick ups and drop offs. So when parents park in the driveway, it is next to his truck.

ETA: his fears have nothing to do with being blocked in or not being able to get in/out of the driveway. In fact, when a parent parks in the driveway, they are blocking me in as I park in the garage. BUT 9/10 times that does not matter as I don't have anywhere pressing to be. His fear is someone hitting his truck or leaving an oil stain in the driveway.
MomBoss 01:17 PM 04-19-2019

I have a 3 stall driveway, my dh parks on the 1st stall and i park between stall 2 and 3, im not good ar parking and since it is MY driveway, i will park as crooked as i please
This prevents anyone from parking in the driveway. So yes i think you should park in your driveway
Tags:driveway issues, parents - don't cooperate, parking
Reply Up