Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have Nothing Planned For Valentine's Day
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 01-31-2018
What are you all doing? I want to keep it simple. No exchanging cards because it's chaotic, the kids don't care and it's just extra work for dcps. Don't really want to decorate or have a party. Bleh, so not into it right now.
Maybe I'll make some heart cookies and let the dcks decorate them. Any simple artsy craftsy ideas?
Thanks!
Cat Herder 03:10 AM 01-31-2018
We are making mini-cheesecakes and washing strawberries together for afternoon snack. They can take some that they make home to their parents if they don't get too erm, well, you know. If in doubt I will make some for them to give their parents/siblings.
DaveA 03:25 AM 01-31-2018
Honestly I'm not doing a dang thing for Valentine's Day with DCKs.
Mad_Pistachio 03:33 AM 01-31-2018
13-th is Mardi Gras. Try looking into masks and over-eating sissy pink hearts are so last century...
Cat Herder 03:58 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
13-th is Mardi Gras. Try looking into masks and over-eating sissy pink hearts are so last century...
But Kingscake is too hard to make with daycare kids, plus the plastic babies inside are kinda freaky in the wrong context. I don't want to hold that conference.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/mi...1-c46abe1fc7d5 - I take that back, just found an easy one.
Jupadia 05:31 AM 01-31-2018
We will do a card exchange and have the kids decorate bags for the cards, probley make mom and dad a card as well.
For lunch we will have pink pancakes and milk (with eggs and veg).
For snack we have birthday cupcakes cause it's also my son's birthday so I save a treat for that.
Mad_Pistachio 06:04 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
But Kingscake is too hard to make with daycare kids, plus the plastic babies inside are kinda freaky in the wrong context. I don't want to hold that conference.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/mi...1-c46abe1fc7d5 - I take that back, just found an easy one.
I have no idea what Kingscake is, but we are planning masks for 13-th because it's Mardi Gras (and watch me wave my Lenten cross around on Valentine's). overeating is hit or miss, though...
LysesKids 11:16 AM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I do the King Cake without the babe just because my babes are little ( I actually order it from NOLA)...I stick it one of the pieces I send home with the parents lol; Let them have the fun
Josiegirl 09:51 AM 01-31-2018
I love it! And lately I've got the whole over-eating thing down.
Ariana 10:09 AM 01-31-2018
I have a big heart cookie cutter than we usually practice tracing with, we do painting with pink and red and we have strawberry pancakes in heart shapes for lunch. Nothing fancy!
LysesKids 11:12 AM 02-05-2018
Yes indeed - Mardi Gras; already have the King Cake lol, masks, beads etc; I do it yearly. My oldest DD's birthday is the 14 & I send a dozen purple roses (it's a family thing that all the women do). My childcare kids are babes - they won't worry about it being they partied the day before lol
Unregistered 01:22 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What are you all doing? I want to keep it simple. No exchanging cards because it's chaotic, the kids don't care and it's just extra work for dcps. Don't really want to decorate or have a party. Bleh, so not into it right now.
Maybe I'll make some heart cookies and let the dcks decorate them. Any simple artsy craftsy ideas?
Thanks!
I plan on using cookie cutters to cut their snacks in heart shapes. I'm doing crackers and heart shaped cheese... Maybe heart shaped turkey. Simple yet different.

I try to spread out the holiday stuff to avoid chaos and burn out so today they cut out and baked cookies, tomorrow they will frost and sprinkle. (Only about an hour of time needed for each task)Then they get a cookie on Valentine's day! We also painted and glittered a paper heart shape for their parents last week and are waiting until Wednesday to give them.
Meeko 01:43 PM 02-14-2018
We do a candy exchange for Valentines. The kids decorate bags and we share out the candy they each bring. But that's it. I personally loathe Valentines Day. I think it's the worst commercial "holiday" out there.

My husband and I talked about it long and hard many years ago and decided to stop all Valentine stuff between us. Our marriage is a 24/7 deal and we make an effort to say and do loving things every single day.

I love getting surprise gifts...just coz...at random times. Because he wants to, not because he feels obligated. My daughter and I went to Walmart for a few groceries last night and the store was full of frantic men in the card, jewelry, flower areas etc. It was crazy.

We have so many friends who stress every year on how to impress each other for valentines and then spend the rest of the year whining about each other...it's all so fake.

Chocolates and flowers on a certain day don't prove you love someone. It proves that Walmart will be richer this week!!!!
Josiegirl 02:16 AM 02-15-2018
Yesterday turned out to be sunny, sort of warmish, so we spent as much time as we could outdoors. It was sooo much more needed than anything else yesterday. And they still got pink cupcakes for snack.
storybookending 06:39 AM 02-15-2018
Yesterday turned out to be sunny, sort of warmish, so we spent as much time as we could outdoors. It was sooo much more needed than anything else yesterday. And they still got pink cupcakes for snack.
First day above freezing here in a long time yesterday! We also enjoyed the outdoors. I had pink snack cakes for snack but one of my kids brought cookies to share and they were not getting both so guess who is eating all the pink snack cakes? This girl! Looks like above freezing for one more day here and then back to the cold. We are going to enjoy it! I am so ready for spring!
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
First day above freezing here in a long time yesterday! We also enjoyed the outdoors. I had pink snack cakes for snack but one of my kids brought cookies to share and they were not getting both so guess who is eating all the pink snack cakes? This girl! Looks like above freezing for one more day here and then back to the cold. We are going to enjoy it! I am so ready for spring!
Strangely warm here too! I think it might have hit 40F above zero!! We spent a lot of time outdoors and loved it! I just wish more parents would support and encourage their kids to be more independent. I can get 12 kids under Kindy age dressed in full winter gear in less than 20 minutes but seriously when a 4.5 yr old just stands there holding their foot out for me to put their boot on for them I kinda cuss the parent out in my head... and wonder if they truly believe the Kindergarten teacher is going to do that for 28 kids every day....

All in all though it was warm and sunny so it was a good day! Slipping back down to single digits (maybe even a minus something) for evenings but seems the weather will stay in the single digits for a few more weeks anyways.

Come on Spring!!!
Annalee 10:43 AM 02-15-2018
I had a few parents ask if grandparents could come by and give their grandchildren balloons and visit for a while. I said "only if they are picking up for the day"......no balloons were delivered
Mom2Two 01:42 PM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've always thought of this particular holidays as an "adult" holiday.
It's that way in Australia. Two years ago I forgot that is strictly about romance there, and I posted Valentines messages on facebook to my sibs. The crickets were deafening in response. I think I kinda creeped them out.

Thanks!
We did card making, a heart pre-K math activity, and a heart lacing activity. I'm trying to improve my pre-K program, so I'm feeling all proud of myself for putting out for V Day activities.
Tags:valentine's day
Reply Up