Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Charge?
Little People 11:50 AM 12-14-2010
I just had a call from a Mom that is in town for 4 months for Tax Season and needs chld care for a 2 year old from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. I explained to her that a child should not be in daycare for more than 10 hours a day. She is the Manager over 4 Tax places and need care asap.
At first I told her no, but she was a really sweet lady and I told her to come by and visit with me.

My full time children I charge $105.00 per week, so do you think that $200.00 per week would be fair?
DCMomOf3 12:01 PM 12-14-2010
While 12 hours is a little exessive, it's the max hours in WI and the 'standard' in MN. If it didn't run into the evening so late I would say it's still just full time, but that's me. I can see adding an extra charge for the evening hours, but I don't know about doubling the rate. I personally would go to $150 maybe.
Lilbutterflie 12:03 PM 12-14-2010
Well, I know a lot of ladies charge an extra $5-$10 per hour as an overtime fee for anything over 10 hours. I personally haven't come across this myself, but I think this is reasonable. Another factor is this 2 yr old will probably be with you during FAMILY time, the evening hours. I would add on an add'l charge for this as well.
So, figuring you decide to charge overtime of $10/hour, that adds an extra $100 for the week. So yeah, I think $200 is right where it should be! Perfectly reasonable.
Live and Learn 12:50 PM 12-14-2010
For me full time is 8 hours....so 12 hours would be 50% more a day for me. Minimum....to be honest $200 seems very reasonable.
.....I would be very firm about the 8:00 pick up and very clear about paying beforehand and whether the child is with you or not.....remember January, February, and March is still peak cold and flu season.
Good luck!
momofboys 12:59 PM 12-14-2010
My full-time rate is your rate, $105 for up to 45 hours of care. Since this is for 60 hours of care I would likely charge an extra $5-6/hr for every hour over 45 so that would be an extra 15 hours so $75-90/week extra or @ $180-195 or so a week. I think you are being more than fair.
Little People 01:03 PM 12-14-2010
Thank you Live and Learn...YES I have contracts and I only due contracted hours and times. And I get paid on Fridays for the following week. My rule is No pay on Fridays...A late fee of $10.00 for Saturday and a late fee of $10.00 for Sunday ( and I do not let them come and pay me on weekends as this is my family time). If fees and late fees are not paid upon dropping off the child/children, I will not accept the child/children. I may sound harsh on this, but for 20+ years, I have not one time had a parent not to pay me. And I only accept CASH!
But if a parent is late 2 times, then my late charges go up to $20.00 per day. I tell them this as we are reading my contract together. I have never had a parent want to pay the late charges!

But as far as this (maybe) new parent, I will tell her I am willing to help her out for these 4 months and the late charge after 8:00 pm will be $10.00 per 15 minutes and DUE at pick up. I have always had good luck with the way I tell my parents about payment and late charges.
I will let you know if she signs a contract.

Lesia
Michael 01:42 PM 12-14-2010
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Happy Hearts!
Abigail 04:39 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
I just had a call from a Mom that is in town for 4 months for Tax Season and needs chld care for a 2 year old from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. I explained to her that a child should not be in daycare for more than 10 hours a day. She is the Manager over 4 Tax places and need care asap.
At first I told her no, but she was a really sweet lady and I told her to come by and visit with me.

My full time children I charge $105.00 per week, so do you think that $200.00 per week would be fair?
Are you allowed to be open that many hours? You should let your licensure know you are going to be open those hours temporarily so you don't get in trouble if you are licensed. Secondly, what hours are you currently open? Definitely put it in a contract. Have the start and end date so she doesn't continue on with this through summer....something WILL come up.

Make sure that you stick to $200 a week if she wants to keep her child their 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, but I would offer two options if you need the money. I would offer her the option of picking up when you close at your standard rate and/or offering a middle-of-the-price-range if she picks up at 6:00 pm. You can give her names of babysitters that can watch their child after 6:00 pm or something. Don't burn yourself out over the winter.
Little People 11:39 AM 12-15-2010
Thanks everyone for great information!!

Abigail, I am not licensed, here we can take 4 children before we have to become licensed. And right now 4 children is great for me! And I have done contracts for 15 years and so far I have never had a problem with payment.
My hours are what ever.... My main day hours are 7 to 5:30, but I will help a parent in need if I can. All my children are grown and both live out of state I don't get to see my grandchildren very much. So I just love and take care of other peoples little joys!
I have done daycare for 25+ years and at one time I did independent living...which in detail was.. pregnant teenages. I had 10 girls and 10 babies all in my home!! That was a blast!! And yes some days "I wanted to scream" but most of the time it was exciting!
BentleysBands 01:29 PM 12-15-2010
Thanks everyone for great information!!

Abigail, I am not licensed, here we can take 4 children before we have to become licensed. And right now 4 children is great for me! And I have done contracts for 15 years and so far I have never had a problem with payment.
My hours are what ever.... My main day hours are 7 to 5:30, but I will help a parent in need if I can. All my children are grown and both live out of state I don't get to see my grandchildren very much. So I just love and take care of other peoples little joys!
I have done daycare for 25+ years and at one time I did independent living...which in detail was.. pregnant teenages. I had 10 girls and 10 babies all in my home!! That was a blast!! And yes some days "I wanted to scream" but most of the time it was exciting!
how awesome!!

personally i thinking doubling your rate is a bit excessive. i would do $150 or so.
Little People 04:14 PM 12-15-2010
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!! I would of been doing 12 hours with him and that would of been breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper and evening snack....bath time and would of been his mom for 4 months. She did not call me yet today.

I did have an interview at 5:00 pm and she has a 6 week old and she filled my last spot!!! And the baby will be picked up at 4/4:30 and I am excited!!

I also got a call for a drop in 1/2 times a week for a 19 month old, for 2 hours in the late afternoon. She is coming tomorrow. I've only been open for 3 weeks now and am excited to say.... I am full!

This is a GREAT place to get help with questions!! I try to read all the posts at my nap time and in the evenings!!

Again THANKS for all the GREAT advice!!
momofboys 05:25 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
how awesome!!

personally i thinking doubling your rate is a bit excessive. i would do $150 or so.
We are talking about 60 hrs, that's a very long week.
legomom922 06:20 PM 12-15-2010
Well I'm glad you filled your spot, but I have to be honest..12 hrs is a longggggggggggg day! I have a 2.5 yr old that is here 2 days a wk at 12 hrs, and I love her to pieces, and have had her since she is 4 months, and she is awsome, but still, 12 hrs is wayy too much, and with yours, she would really be cutting into your family time, and by 7pm, she is going to be cranky and ready for bed. Mine is here from 630am-630pm, and even that sometimes cuts into personal things that I need to do. I would never do one from 8-8, for any amount of money! And boy, do 2 yrs old yak!! they never shut up!
Lucy 06:30 PM 12-15-2010
$180 would be $36 a day, which is $3 an hour. I'd go with that. If the little girl is a nice calm one, I'd probably do it.
Lucy 06:32 PM 12-15-2010
Didn't read on that you had already filled the spot, and then also noticed it was a boy and not a girl. My bad!
BentleysBands 03:46 AM 12-16-2010
congrats!!!! so happy for you, esp. at this time of year = extra $$
momma2girls 04:45 AM 12-16-2010
I know I wouldn't want to go back to 12 hr. days- NO WAY!!!
boysx5 06:37 AM 12-16-2010
12 hour days are killers I sometimes do 6am to 6pm and that is enough for me my rates are 200.00 a week for full time which is usually ten hour days
Little People 07:39 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
congrats!!!! so happy for you, esp. at this time of year = extra $$
Thank you, The last 4 days my phone has been ringing off the wall! My ad on CL paid off. Most of the moms that called said they were impressed with my ad!

So now this weekend we are buying a van!! I want to take the children an outings and I need a van!!

I quit my job (and might add it was a good one) because I love children and this was 4 weeks ago and I never dreamed I would be full in 4 weeks!!
marniewon 09:35 AM 12-16-2010
Thank you, The last 4 days my phone has been ringing off the wall! My ad on CL paid off. Most of the moms that called said they were impressed with my ad!

So now this weekend we are buying a van!! I want to take the children an outings and I need a van!!

I quit my job (and might add it was a good one) because I love children and this was 4 weeks ago and I never dreamed I would be full in 4 weeks!!
I'm so jealous! But good for you!

I put an ad on CL and haven't had even one email or call
misol 09:58 AM 12-16-2010

Good for you Happy Hearts! I've been open for a little over a year and have yet to fill my last full-time slot. Care to share details of your CL ad? I would love to pep mine up a bit to see if that would generate more calls.
Little People 11:26 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Good for you Happy Hearts! I've been open for a little over a year and have yet to fill my last full-time slot. Care to share details of your CL ad? I would love to pep mine up a bit to see if that would generate more calls.
Sure!! here it is...

As a Mother & Grandmother myself I understand that choosing a provider for your precious child(ren) is one of the most important things you'll ever do and how important it is to find a reliable, responsible, loving, caring and fun provider. I have over 25 years experiance with children! I have watched MANY children of Military parents.

I provide a very low ratio so that I can give each child the love and attention they deserve. I absoulutely LOVE & ADORE children! I take great care to provide a warm, friendly and fun environment for your child, while ensuring they receive the guidance and structure they need. My goal is to provide a place where children know that they are accepted, loved, protected, and wanted; helping to instill in each child a strong sense of self-worth and purpose. It is my hope that when the day is done, and children going home, they feel happy and proud of themselves; eager to express the happenings of their day to you!

Each and every day I feel privileged to have the opportunity to see the world through the eyes of a child, to join in their laughter, and to be included in their games. This is how I have chosen to spend my days.

Activites: * Arts & Crafts * Music * Dance * Cooking * Dramatic Play * Exercise * Show- N - Tell * Reading * Circle Time * Free Form Play * Bubble Time * Table Time * Sharing & Conversation Time * Games Treasure Hunts * ABC's * 123's * Shapes * Colors * And Much More!

I have 2 full time little girls ages 18 months and 3 years old. And a little girl 19 months starting Full Time on Jan. 3rd. And a 5 years old girl coming after school. I ONLY HAVE 1 MORE FULL TIME OPENING!!! And I have room for 2 after school children.

Accepting Children Ages 15 months to 6 years Old...............Full Time & Part Time.

Full Time - 20-45 hours, contracted on a set schedule time slot. $105.00 per week
Part Time -Less than 20 hours, contracted on a set schedule time slot. $85.00 per week

I will also do Drop In Care...If space is available. $5.00 per hour.

PARENTS DO YOU NEED CHILDCARE DURING CHRISTMAS BREAK? If so I can help!! No contract, No enrollement fee, you will only schedule the time you need and only pay for that time!!

I am across the back side of Bartlett Elementary School!! ( Billy Maher to Left on Pecan Trace, quick Right on Poppy Lane and follow around to Pipers Green Lane)

If you need childcare PLEASE CALL ONLY 123-456-7890 and we can set up an appointment for you and your child(ren) to come visit. (Due to so much SPAM I will not respond to emails THANKS)

A FINAL THOUGHT FOR YOU;

Although I'm not their Mother,
I care for them each day.
I cuddle, sing, and read to them,
and watch them as they play.
I see each new accomplishment,
and help them grow and learn.
I understand their language,
and I listen with concern.
They proudly show their work to me,
I give the loudest cheers!
No, I am not their Mother,
But my role is just as strong.
I nurture them and keep them safe,
Though it may not be for long.
I know someday the time may come,
When we will have to part,
But I know each child I've cared for
Is forever in my heart!!

And then I have added a picture of myself, a picture of the outside of my home and 2 pictures of the daycare rooms (with NO children in the pics)
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Off topic for the post, but in response to clever ads; I read one recently that went somehting like this;

Hi, My name is Adam. I am 4 years old. I go to Miss Lisa's house while my mom is at work. She has all kinds of fun toys that help me learn my ABC's and 123's. She takes me on walks, makes me yummy snacks, tlls really funny stories and does all kinds of really fun stuff with us. If I get hurt she hugs and kisses me just like my mom. I miss my mom when she goes to work but I am super excited to go to Miss Lisa's everyday. I have made all kinds of new friends at Miss Lisa's. My friend Tommy moved away a few days ago and Miss Lisa is trying to find some new friends that would like to come and play with us. I don't have a cell phone yet because I am 4 but Miss Lisa does, so if you think you'd like to come play with me at Miss Lisa's you should call her.

I thought the whole ad was brilliantly done and very creative. Sets "Miss Lisa" apart form the others.....
care-care 11:33 AM 12-16-2010
Wow great ad.. I love the poem at the end!
misol 12:07 PM 12-16-2010
Sure!! here it is...

As a Mother & Grandmother myself I understand that choosing a provider for your precious child(ren) is one of the most important things you'll ever do and how important it is to find a reliable, responsible, loving, caring and fun provider. I have over 25 years experiance with children! I have watched MANY children of Military parents.

I provide a very low ratio so that I can give each child the love and attention they deserve. I absoulutely LOVE & ADORE children! I take great care to provide a warm, friendly and fun environment for your child, while ensuring they receive the guidance and structure they need. My goal is to provide a place where children know that they are accepted, loved, protected, and wanted; helping to instill in each child a strong sense of self-worth and purpose. It is my hope that when the day is done, and children going home, they feel happy and proud of themselves; eager to express the happenings of their day to you!

Each and every day I feel privileged to have the opportunity to see the world through the eyes of a child, to join in their laughter, and to be included in their games. This is how I have chosen to spend my days.

Activites: * Arts & Crafts * Music * Dance * Cooking * Dramatic Play * Exercise * Show- N - Tell * Reading * Circle Time * Free Form Play * Bubble Time * Table Time * Sharing & Conversation Time * Games Treasure Hunts * ABC's * 123's * Shapes * Colors * And Much More!

I have 2 full time little girls ages 18 months and 3 years old. And a little girl 19 months starting Full Time on Jan. 3rd. And a 5 years old girl coming after school. I ONLY HAVE 1 MORE FULL TIME OPENING!!! And I have room for 2 after school children.

Accepting Children Ages 15 months to 6 years Old...............Full Time & Part Time.

Full Time - 20-45 hours, contracted on a set schedule time slot. $105.00 per week
Part Time -Less than 20 hours, contracted on a set schedule time slot. $85.00 per week

I will also do Drop In Care...If space is available. $5.00 per hour.

PARENTS DO YOU NEED CHILDCARE DURING CHRISTMAS BREAK? If so I can help!! No contract, No enrollement fee, you will only schedule the time you need and only pay for that time!!

I am across the back side of Bartlett Elementary School!! ( Billy Maher to Left on Pecan Trace, quick Right on Poppy Lane and follow around to Pipers Green Lane)

If you need childcare PLEASE CALL ONLY 123-456-7890 and we can set up an appointment for you and your child(ren) to come visit. (Due to so much SPAM I will not respond to emails THANKS)

A FINAL THOUGHT FOR YOU;

Although I'm not their Mother,
I care for them each day.
I cuddle, sing, and read to them,
and watch them as they play.
I see each new accomplishment,
and help them grow and learn.
I understand their language,
and I listen with concern.
They proudly show their work to me,
I give the loudest cheers!
No, I am not their Mother,
But my role is just as strong.
I nurture them and keep them safe,
Though it may not be for long.
I know someday the time may come,
When we will have to part,
But I know each child I've cared for
Is forever in my heart!!

And then I have added a picture of myself, a picture of the outside of my home and 2 pictures of the daycare rooms (with NO children in the pics)

Wow, this is great and I am impressed too! I would definitely respond to an ad like this. Thanks for sharing!
dEHmom 09:26 AM 12-18-2010
Happy Hearts-
Amazing Ad.
Did you write that poem, or find it somewhere?

I have printed off that poem and framed it and hung it at my front door. Hope you don't mind?!

Also, if you give the ok, I'd like to print off little copies of it, and frame them or put them into a craft ornament to give to my families? And a large one framed for some friends of mine who do daycare.
Little People 05:23 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
Happy Hearts-
Amazing Ad.
Did you write that poem, or find it somewhere?

I have printed off that poem and framed it and hung it at my front door. Hope you don't mind?!

Also, if you give the ok, I'd like to print off little copies of it, and frame them or put them into a craft ornament to give to my families? And a large one framed for some friends of mine who do daycare.
PLEASE go right ahead, the peom is on the internet, so please feel free to use it. It sums up ALL us providers!!
dEHmom 05:32 AM 12-20-2010
Thanks a bunch.
I was searching through lots of poems, and it seems the same 10 poems including that one keep coming up.

So for one family I used that poem, and a different one for a different family. But I actually altered the poem to suit it more to the girl. Mostly just the "their" to "you" and I changed the last 2 lines of the poem.
nannyde 06:19 AM 12-20-2010
The line in the poem that says "my role is just as strong" would not settle well with my Mom's. My role isn't anywhere near as strong as theirs so I think they would be put off with that.

I don't like to do any references to Motherhood in my role with the kids. I know my place and it's not a Mama place. You can give "mama love" but I never consider myself in comparison to their Moms. It's bad for public relations when you have a business full of "Mama Bears".
Little People 06:29 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The line in the poem that says "my role is just as strong" would not settle well with my Mom's. My role isn't anywhere near as strong as theirs so I think they would be put off with that.

I don't like to do any references to Motherhood in my role with the kids. I know my place and it's not a Mama place. You can give "mama love" but I never consider myself in comparison to their Moms. It's bad for public relations when you have a business full of "Mama Bears".
I am sorry to hear that your moms would not settle well with this! My parents love knowing their child/children are getting all my motherly/grandmotherly love. I have wonderful parents!!
laundrymom 08:47 AM 12-20-2010
I kinda agree I always tell the lids families atc. Lots of kids have moms and dads but only the kids who come here have a miss j.
Originally Posted by nannyde:

jen 10:53 AM 12-20-2010
I think that would bother some of my Mom's too...A few of the kids call me Mama-Jen, one of the parents calls me bonus-mom and another refers to me as Daycare Mom... but personally, I wouldn't dream of refering to myself that way or to compare my role to theirs.

Obviously it's working for you, but I think it could turn a few people off as well.

I know that if someone suggested that their role in my child's life was as important as mine, I'd be miffed about it...then I'd hand them a bill for college :-)
Tags:advertise, rates
Reply Up